DLuders

Variations in 24T Clutch Gear 60c01's Resistance?

I read somewhere that there is a VARIATION in the resistance of the 60c01 Lego Technic 24-Tooth Clutch Gear, but I can't find the source now. I recall that there are at least two different colors of the CENTER of the Clutch Gear that means a different resistance to torque. Does anybody know which center color is weaker/weakest? *huh*

So far, I've found this article on TechnicBRICKS: http://technicbricks.blogspot.com/2008/02/...nic-clutch.html . It says "The Clutch gear has 2,5-5 N.cm stamped on its face, which is the torque rating of the Clutch....The clutch gear can transmit a maximum torque of from 2,5 to 5 Ncm (0,018 to 0,037 ft.lbs or 0,22 to 0,44 in.lbs)." According to Bricklink ( http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=60c01 ), the 60c01 "Technic, Gear 24 Tooth Clutch" seems to come in only one color/variety, and Peeron ( http://peeron.com/inv/parts/60c01 ) does not distinguish between any variations in torque resistance.

Could folks glance at their white 24T Clutch Gears and see whether: (1) They notice different-colored CENTERS, and (2) Whether there's something else stamped on their parts other than the usual "2.5-5.0 Ncm"? I have two 60c01's in my hands -- one has the "2.5-5.0 Ncm" on it with a Dark Gray (Dark Stone) center, just like the left photo below. The other one has only two "Lego" names on it with no number, and a Dark Bluish Gray center (just like the center photo below). Hmmmm..... :pir-sceptic:

60c01.1076166029.jpg60c01.jpginside_a_clutch.jpg

I found the reference -- it's on Sariel's "Gears Tutorial" ( http://sariel.pl/2009/09/gears-tutorial/ ). He writes,

"Thanks to Jetro de Château it is confirmed that there have been at least three versions of this gear released over the years (photo courtesy of Jetro de Château):

SNC00226.jpg

"From left to right, these are:

- version that came with the 8479 set, it has a light gray center and require more torque to slip

- version that is most commonly used, with dark gray center

- version from an unknown set(s), with smooth sides (no clutch power indications)."

SO, when one buys a new or used 60c01 part on Bricklink, how can one know if you're getting the PREFERRED version if they're all the same Part Number? :cry_sad:

dluders, the clutch gears I have are exactly like yours. The clutch gears that I have with 2.5-5 Ncm stamped on them have the dark gray center. I got these from the old RCX 2.0 set. The clutch gears that have nothing stamped on them have the dark bluish gray center. I got these from the 8258 and 8297 sets.

Interesting topic! I really wish I had some clutch gears with a bit more resistance. 16 tooth clutch gears would be great as well. :grin:

Yes, these gears are unfortunately not marked separately on Bricklink. The 1997 versions with light gray centers are quite rare, appearing only in 8479 and possibly the earlier copies of 8735. I don't have any of the unmarked kind myself, but some people have reported getting them in recent sets. They seem to be identical to the marked dark gray gears in functionality, with only a different external shell.

The one that I have is unmarked, and is from 8293. Like CP5670, I'm guessing it is identical to the one with the dark gray centre, bar the case.

The last version has the highest slipping torque. The M motor has slightly higher torque required for this gear to slip.

The last version has the highest slipping torque. The M motor has slightly higher torque required for this gear to slip.

Is it higher than the light gray one? The light gray gear requires much more torque to slip than the marked dark gray one. If the unmarked gear is beyond even that, it's certainly not a straight replacement for the marked version.

To be honest, 2.5 - 5Ncm is quite a large tolerance. Is it possible that the variations are all within that tolerance.

I to would prefer a MUCH higher slipping tourqe. Never thought of having a 16t one. That would probably be more useful than the 24t one.

I found the reference -- it's on Sariel's "Gears Tutorial" ( http://sariel.pl/200...gears-tutorial/ ). He writes,

"Thanks to Jetro de Château it is confirmed that there have been at least three versions of this gear released over the years (photo courtesy of Jetro de Château):

SNC00226.jpg

"From left to right, these are:

- version that came with the 8479 set, it has a light gray center and require more torque to slip

- version that is most commonly used, with dark gray center

- version from an unknown set(s), with smooth sides (no clutch power indications)."

SO, when one buys a new or used 60c01 part on Bricklink, how can one know if you're getting the PREFERRED version if they're all the same Part Number? :cry_sad:

The last one on the rightside are in set 42043. I bought 2 if those sets, and every set had 1 in it.

The last one on the rightside are in set 42043. I bought 2 if those sets, and every set had 1 in it.
Well, you haven't probably noticed 42xxx Technic sets were not even for sale 6 years ago :innocent:

Whatever the variant, I think that TLG often misuses these. Although Sariel looks like to be the primary source of information regarding the different clutch gear variants, I thought I remembered this same conversation on the 42042 thread. People were complaining how little it could lift when in reality it was not a fault in power or gearing but rather a fault of the slipper gear. If fact, on that thread i posted a quick video of how to remove the slipper gears in like ten minutes and replace them with regular 24T gears and my version lifted nearly 900 grams no problem. Slipper gears used in such applications... cranes, steering for trial trucks and crawlers severely limit the functionality of the model. If you are careful, a little stalling of the motor is not a bad thing. I get their use.... 8070 was a perfect example..... if not for the slipper gear then things would pop outta place... but things like cranes and crawler steering they should not be used.