Sign in to follow this  
Svelte

REVIEW: LEGO Prince of Persia Brickmaster Set

LEGO Prince of Persia Brickmaster Exclusive- Build Your Own!

4587240681_c79e37853b.jpg

Not one to be hampered by the fact that the LEGO Brickmaster Prince of Persia set (a) wouldn't be available for 4 months (b) will only be produced for US consumers, I decided to build my own based on the blown-up pic supplied by Inconspicuous. Now you can too! :laugh:

My version contains exactly 52 pieces, just like the original model, although since the small pic is still so blurry I had to do some guessing (eg is the dark tan 2x2 tile an ordinary version or jumper one? Considering the theme's emphasis on activity, I thought it more likely to be a jumper.) The parts are readily available from already pre-existing PoP sets such as the Ostrich Race (for tan plates), Desert Attack (dark brown spears), Quest Against Time (black clips and jumpers, snakes, gold parts, Dagger). You will also need an extra medium nougat arch (from Alamut). I also had to nick 4 white slopes from the parts bin and 4 of those 1x2 Technic bricks with 2 holes from the Indy Temple Escape. But really, most parts are pretty common PoP ones :thumbup:

4587878816_942491e125.jpg

Here is stage 1 of the build:

4587240041_6d1bf8be8e.jpg

Stage 2:

4587233019_1bca1cc999.jpg

The trap is made as follows and placed on the mid-section:

4587233745_57747dc76b.jpg

The final model:

4587855500_c574fb7f4f.jpg

Dastan grimaces as he struggles manfully in his quest for the Dagger of Time - or maybe it's just indigestion from eating from one of the market stalls featured in Category 3 of the EB PoP contest :wink:

4587230653_700337833d.jpg

When you pull out the gold-tipped bar, Dastan falls into a nest of snakes! GAME OVER!

4587267837_c5012bf784.jpg

Thanks for reading! Now go, build your own! Or, if you're in the US, wait 4 months for your polybag to arrive! :laugh: When we get bigger pics, I will be interested to see how my version stacks up :wink: To be honest the Brickmaster sets never look very exciting to me and I doubt so many people would subscribe if it wasn't for the SW exclusives. However, as a bonus set with a fig and play feature, this is pretty good, with lots of lovely parts :thumbup: 4/5.

** This review has been a community service announcement on behalf of Prince of Persia Month! **

Gee, you really freaked me out! For a second I thought you had actually gotten the set somehow. :laugh:

It looks pretty realistic to me, nice work recreating it. :thumbup:

As for the set itself, it does have a nice selection of pieces, but otherwise it's below-average. If the minifig Brickmaster sets they make are this lame, I'd honestly stick with mini models.

Nonetheless, great review!

Gee, you really freaked me out! For a second I thought you had actually gotten the set somehow. :laugh:

Same! :tongue:

If this is exactly like the set, I am impressed. 2 snakes, a Dagger of Time, a full Dastan fig with weapons, this set is packed with goodies :thumbup:

Thanks for the review Svelte.

Living in the UK it's also unlikely that this set, along with any other Brickmaster sets will make it into my hands. There'll always be eBay, but as you've demonstrated it is pretty easy for us non-US people to build our own.

That aside, I think this is a charming little set with some of those great new parts/colours/accessories. I wouldn't be disappointed with this turning up on my doorstep! :wink:

Thanks for the review, Svelte! ) :classic:

Now that you've built it, it makes me want to have my own: though normally I"m not a fan of smaller scale sets. What amazes me in the whole theme is how well the colors are balanced. Even in such a small set.

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Good one 'Svelte' - great work just by working from that one picture. :sweet:

This will be popular on Bricklink won't it ?! :wink:

Also popular with kids too !

Lucky those in the U.S. of A.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Wow thats so accurate I thought you had a sneak peak for us :laugh:

It looks nice seems to have a great piece selection for a brickmaster set. Thanks Svelte!

This could start a new trend: reviewing sets that aren't even released yet based on pictures.

From Inky's picture, it looks like the jumping mechanism has a 2 x 4 brown plate on top with a dark-tan 1 x 2 plate or jumper plate on top. And it looks like Dastan doesn't have a katana holder nor a second katana.

What a great set :thumbup: !Nice review Svelte.Weapons,snakes,tan plates,plant and of course gold and flash archs are very usefull pieces.

The first thing that came to mind was a miniature Quest Against Time set. :tongue:

A nice set, and the dagger is a nice bonus.

This place has gone PoP crazy. Nice job of creating it yourself. I think this would be a cool official service as a cheap way to get a cool licensed fig.

From Inky's picture, it looks like the jumping mechanism has a 2 x 4 brown plate on top with a dark-tan 1 x 2 plate or jumper plate on top. And it looks like Dastan doesn't have a katana holder nor a second katana.

It could go either way. I didn't think the plate looked long enough for a 4 stud plate, and the colour of the plate that might be on top of it looks closer to the fuzzy background image than the other dark tan plates in the pic. So, we'll see :wink:

It's hard to know what to leave out and put in. I was struggling against an urge to put in a second bamboo plant piece since these sets are usually symmetrical but it would be clearly visible in the pic that was released (and it isn't.)

It's hard to know what to leave out and put in. I was struggling against an urge to put in a second bamboo plant piece since these sets are usually symmetrical but it would be clearly visible in the pic that was released (and it isn't.)

Yeah, I was thinking the same. But I agree, there would be some green visible.

So, we'll see :wink:

You were wrong... :tongue:

The instructions are up for verification. You came pretty close though. :classic: