• Avian bird flu strikes again (poor)
    • A dead duck (below average)
    • As exciting as a pigeon (average)
    • Peacock-plumage (prized for feathers)
    • An endangered species (highly prized)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Set Name: 30021 Parrot

Theme: Creator Promotional Set

Piece Count: 46 (according to Bricklink)

Price: ???

Resources: Brickset, Bricklink

The last few years have seen a seeming boom in the production of LEGO promotional sets, although it has become harder to predict when and where they will strike. Will it be a Target Easter special in the US? A Daily Mail reader offer in the UK? A mini tractor at Toyworld in Australia? Some sets (like the Fantasy era Castle ones) never get made at all. Others (like the recent Castle Kingdoms one) arrive on Bricklink months ahead of the official launch of the theme. For OCD polybag enthusiasts, this must surely be a vision of hell. For those of us who like sweet little random surprises, it adds a frisson of excitement as a freebie or when making a purchase for something else.

The 30021 Creator Parrot was apparently released through German retailer Tengelmann's - a kind EB member sent me the 30021 so that I could present you, dear, reader, with this EB Exclusive review! :laugh:

So let's get down to business:

The polybag shows and image of the finished set:

4569616364_91f34f5e9d.jpg

The rear view isn't particular spectacular:

4568979843_af471328f6.jpg

The parts are a nice primary mix, with lots of useful 1x1 plates, red cheese, 2 1x3 red tiles, white bricks with stud on 1 side...

4568980915_78f752b6c0.jpg

The instruction leaflet has a very classic feel. In a regular set, this would be a 16 page booklet :laugh:

4568982001_aa660da112.jpg

The rear finishes the model and shows some ads for the January Creator wave:

4569620922_599f09ac41.jpg

The first section to be built is the legs and lower body. Look at those teensy feet! That has to be an evolutionary dead end :laugh: SNOT-work bulks out the tummy.

4568983621_fd135e75ba.jpg

The head is next to be assembled. Great detailing with the black 1x1 plate under the orange slope to keep in line with the black feathers below.

4569621882_4a41075b10.jpg

Shake your tail feather!

4568984535_8875b964f5.jpg

The final model. Great colours, fun little build, and quizzical expression. What a lovely promo!

4569624850_55333807e7.jpg

I like the yellow 'go faster' stripes on the back of the wings. It's rare for official models to look sweet from behind, especially promos!

4569623162_027dd6695a.jpg

A side view.

4569623938_4762bdacf4.jpg

And yes, there is a play feature....

'Freeze! Put your wings in the air and back away from the birdseed!'

4568987927_29888166b1.jpg

The wings spin on the half Technic pins. Cute touch.

And indeed, this handsome bird is the star of the Prince of Persia Month Caption Contest. Enter today! :wink:

4569410768_7079b96942.jpg

Overall Rating

One of the better-designed promos of the Creator line. It is certainly unique in not just being a mini-version of some other set - unless of course LEGO has a terrifying foot-high 1000 piece UCS Parrot planned for us :tongue: With a great selection of new parts, this is fun and useful - and if you like the look of it, you can download the instructions (or follow the ones in this review) and build it yourself! 5/5.

(With thanks to grogall for supplying the bird :wink:)

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

I am a sucker for polybag sets, I always love them. That said, this one is exceptionally good and I sincerely hope it eventually shows up as a Brickmaster set or one of those many Target holiday editions you mentioned. I really hope it shows up somewhere! As it is, I missed the chrome Stormtrooper polybag already this year, I'd hate to miss this one...

There are OCD polybag enthusiasts? Crazy people. :look::laugh:

I feel better already. :sweet:

Thanks for sharing this, Svelte and Grogall! :thumbup:

Nice. I like this set. It has cool SNOT and hinge techniques that a lot of promos don't :thumbup:

Aww, who's a pretty birdie ? :wink:

Thanks for the review 'Svelte' - COOL little build of a colourful parrot who would not always want a cracker ! :grin:

Colours are sweet, the use of SNOT perfect, someone at Lego took their time designing this one.

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Thanks for the great review. I'm glad I got a set at Kaiser's/Tengelmann. I really like this parrot. :wub: :wub: :wub:

For the back of the parrot I replaced the 1x2 red brick for a red Slope Brick 45 2 x 2.

This set is really one of the better polybag sets.

Hope to see some more sets of this size and quality in the near future. And may everyone be able to get one of these sets.

Thanks for reviewing thsi. I saw it in teh PoP contest but I didn't know it was an actual set.

Awesome promo. It's soooo eye-catchingly funky looking. Definitely need that UCS version for this one to sit on though. :grin:

Hehehe......would be really excited to see a 1200-pieces Parrot maybe in the Creator line. Why not?

I mean after all those houses, helicopters, cars, etc. it would be a seasonable change - IMHO.

The Creator Monster Dino from 2007 is still one of my all time favorites. :thumbup:

Hehehe......would be really excited to see a 1200-pieces Parrot maybe in the Creator line. Why not?

I mean after all those houses, helicopters, cars, etc. it would be a seasonable change - IMHO.

Well there's a croco coming up in 2010, so why not the giga-parrot too? :wink:

:tongue: And they can add a Power Functions XL-Motor for the wings (plus IR-Receiver of course) and a Sound-brick for the parrot's voice. :laugh::grin: