20 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Crawling (swimming?) from the depths of the impulse buy section of the Target checkout line, it's some kind of octopedal sea creature!

Set #: 30040

Name: Octopus? There's no name but it does have 8 legs

Theme: Atlantis

Year: 2010

Piece Count: 42

Price: $2.99 at Target

The polybag provides a visual representation of the creature that lurks inside.

4578429925_1ee58fce8b_b.jpg

A random instruction page provides all of the instructions.

4579058038_15b10a0ae9_b.jpg

The pieces of the creature.

4578430855_a9a30c262d_b.jpg

The creature assembled.

4579058308_7b6c5dcf2f_b.jpg

The extra parts.

4578430165_6e142ef544.jpg

Design: 9/10: A creative little sea monster that makes use of some interesting techniques to make an imposing adversary for the Atlantis divers

Build: 8/10: Quick and fun, but the legs are repetitive, but it's an octopus, it would be weird for it to have 8 different legs

Playability: 8/10: Undersea swooshable but the dish on top tends to fall of if bumped too hard. It's size and terrifying beak make it a good foe for a diver

Price: 9/10. At a little less than $.07 a piece it's not too bad, although they are pretty small parts

Overall: 9/10. A great impulse set, you'll end up grabbing a handful of these things if you happen to notice then hiding along the bottom of the impulse buy station of the checkout

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed and poll added

Thanks for the review.

This lovely little set seems a good way to get some nice pieces to use in MOCs.

It looks realistic as well which is surprising. :classic:

Cool. This will compliment any other Atlantis sets very nicely. :classic:

This impulse set sure beats the other Target sets like the Power Miners ones. Where did you find this set in the store?

It was at the very bottom of one of the impulse buy displays by the checkout register, hidden under hot wheels and littlest pet shop packages, I'd never seen them at any other stores

Edited by bxheist

Thanks for the review 'bxheist' - COOL set eh ?

D.I.Y. octopus - SWEET :grin:

Hope this one comes to the land of Oz !

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Great Review. :thumbup: This would go great with the Gateway of the Squid set! :classic:

-

General Redwater

Edited by General Redwater

Darn it I was just at Target and I'm constantly scanning for polybags because they're the only ones who ever stock them. Grrr darn them. At least I found new MnM Pretzels...Those were nice.

Thanks for the cute review!

I do like the other promo - the mini-sub - a bit better, but this is a sweet little set for parts.

When did they start selling these? This is AWESOME, I love it. I'm not a fan of Atlantis, but I love the giant squid in the Gateway of the Squid, but wouldn't buy the set just for the squid... but on my last bricklink order I picked up a handful of these tentacles, so I'd love to get a couple of these and add the long tentacles.

Yes, I know it's not a squid.

Great review!

Hmmm.... Interesting.... I hope they have these (or the Toy Story 3!) polybags when I go to Target... I probably will not get this one, though.

Can anybody post the DPCI number from their purchase? It would make it a lot easier to find at a Target.

Thank You

Great review! Not so impressive set on it own, but combined with one of the other sets it would blend in perfectly!

Thanks for the review. Did they have any other polybags? Well, I think I'll be going to Target tonight.

I checked Target and they didn't have any. :( I'll have to check 2 more this weekend.

So where exactly did you find this? In the check-out line near the candy, chips, gum etc.

Reminds me of his brother from SW:

Probe%20droid.JPG

Reminds me of his brother from SW:

Probe%20droid.JPG

I agree it's like the underwater version.

I like the simplicity of the set but without additional Atlantis sets, this one would be pretty useless.

I checked 4 targets in our area and on the fourth trip I finally found them! They had more than 50 there all along the cash registers.

Thanks for the notification of this set, bxheist! I'm a huge collector of polybagged promo sets in the 30000s range, and I had to have this one when I first saw it. :thumbup:

It was near the check-out stands, in the bottom right of the shelf holding the non-candy items; there were about 10 or so at each check-out stand, so maybe 100+ of them per Target. No need to hurry!

Also, Club Code REG10 stands for "regular 2010", not "Regal Theatres", as some people had thought for the army man polybag in the Toy Story discussion thread. Hooray!

EDIT: A couple of pics of my own copy of the set:

4616731159_b9f6942832.jpg

4617347538_bebd245c4b.jpg

4617349994_7442e77b9d.jpg

4617351084_111b96fa51.jpg

Edited by ILikePi