67 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale from 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Review: 7598 Pizza Planet Truck Rescue

Space: the final frontier. Infinite worlds to discover, and countless mouths to feed. Luckily, there is one planet that has the greasy goods to satisfy them all - Pizza Planet! These are the voyages of the Pizza Planet truck. Its mission: To deliver pizzas to the good people of Earth and to boldly go where no delivery truck has gone before!

7598-1.jpg

Set Number: 7598

Name: Pizza Planet Truck Rescue

Theme: Toy Story

Year of Release: 2010

Pieces: 225

Minifigs: 4

Price: $39.99 USD

S@H description:

Holy pepperoni...it’s the Pizza Planet truck to the rescue!!

Buzz Lightyear, Hamm, Rex and their alien friend are on a car-chase adventure in the Pizza Planet delivery truck! The toy heroes will have to work together to steer the big vehicle through busy traffic to rescue their friends. Good thing they’ve got a secret pizza flinger hidden under the hood for emergencies!

Brickset BrickLink Brickshelf

The Box

The box features the plain white-with-blue-frame design of the Toy Story 3 wave, and images of Buzz and Rex. Unlike other Toy Story 3 sets, it has a Special Edition tag in the lower right-hand corner. At the top of the box, there is a 1:1 scale picture of the Buzz Lightyear fig. On the left side it has two more Special Edition tags in different languages, while the right side has some safety information.

p1070070_small.jpg

On the back, there is a line-up of the included minifigs, a picture of the figs posed outside the vehicle, and a pictorial demonstration of how to load and fire the pizza shooter.

p1070071_small.jpg

Here is a close-up of the explanation of the pizza shooting mechanism. It describes it better than I ever could.

p1070122_small.jpg

Want to see it in action? Check out Inconspicuous' video from Bricks at the Bay:

Contents

Inside the box, you will find four numbered bags, a separately bagged Rex, and an instructions booklet. No sticker sheet! Yay!

p1070073_small.jpg

The other minifigs are inside bag number one. Hamm, Buzz' head and jetpack assembly, and the alien's head all come bagged separately.

p1070079_small.jpg

There are quite a few notable pieces here. This set sees the return of the 10-wide windscreen in trans-black and yellow. Also, there is a X-Wing canopy in white, inverted 2x4 windscreens in yellow, a red 2x4 tile, yellow 1x3 tiles, and some other printed tiles.

p1070092_small.jpg

Here is a random instructions page:

7598_instructions_page.jpg

Minifigs

Here are the minifigs prior to assembly. As always, the torso and legs of Buzz and the alien are of the good quality. As you can see, Rex' tail is attached via a blue technic pin, and Hamm has a rubber cork under his belly.

p1070085_small.jpg

And here they are, the two new figs in this set, Rex and Hamm. Hamm has a slot where you can insert Lego coins, however there aren't any included in the set. Rex' arms are one rubbery piece, so they can't be taken off and move simultaneously. Unfortunately, they are also a bit loose, so they tend to fall down and are hard to pose.

p1070086_small.jpg

Rex' legs and tail, on the other hand, turn 360 degrees and are very well poseable. And unlike Hamm, he also has two studs on his back, so no one can say that he is not a Lego-like fig. :tongue:

p1070087_small.jpg

Buzz and the LGM (Little Green Man) are the same as those found in sets of the first wave. Unfortunately they still haven't fixed the issue of Buzz' helmet only being half closed.

p1070090_small.jpg

p1070089_small.jpg

The Build

With the parts from the first bag, you build the basis of the chassis and the pizza launcher. You can already tell how it works: When the tab in the back is pulled back, the red 2x4 tile-at the front (left side of the picture) slides back to allow a pizza to fall onto another tile below. When the tab is released, the rubber band pulls the slider back, thereby shooting the pizza. Simple, but effective, and barely any Technic parts involved.

p1070093_small.jpg

After the second bag, the lower half of the rear section is done.

p1070094_small.jpg

The third bag contains all the parts to finish up the driver's cabin.

p1070095_small.jpg

In the last step, you attach the wheels and build the back hatch. Here is the finished product:

p1070096_small.jpg

Both at the front and back, there is a plate-high slot in order to help you open the hood / take off the back hatch. The license plate and "YO" tile are great details and PIXAR-fan candy! :wub: Unfortunately, part of the back window is missing, but there is a reason for that, which I will tell you soon.

p1070098_small.jpgp1070100_small.jpg

In profile, the truck looks pretty spot-on, and the prints certainly help the authenticity!

p1070101_small.jpg

From below, it does not look so spectacular though, especially in the back. The lack of an exhaust pipe is very evident from this angle.

p1070102_small.jpg

Top view. The design of the little plastic rocket is quite clever. "It's a spaceship, Buzz!"

p1070107_small.jpg

This is what it looks like with the back hatch removed:

p1070103_small.jpg

The roof of the driver's cabin can also be removed in order to seat the minifigs inside more easily. The interior of the cabin is rather plain though. It doesn't even have a proper gear shift lever.

p1070106_small.jpg

The doors open nicely and have some of the best door designs I have seen in cars of this size.

p1070109_small.jpg

Now let's see what's under the hood. What looks like a pizza-powered engine is actually the magazine of the pizza shooter. When closed, the hood covers up the hole at the top, so you don't have to worry about pizzas falling out when you turn the vehicle upside-down, but I still wouldn't recommend it because then the stack of pizzas gets all jumbled up.

p1070116_small.jpg

All the minifigs fit into the truck, but you need to take Buzz' wings off to be able to do so. This is how they are seated:

p1070111_small.jpg

And this is how it looks like after closing the truck:

p1070112_small.jpg

Rex' tail looks out of the open back window, which is probably why it's missing.

p1070113_small.jpg

When Rex needs some fresh air, you can open up the top hatch and have him stick his head out.

p1070114_small.jpg

There are six pizzas included in this set, so there's plenty for the minifigs to throw a pizza party!

p1070119_small.jpg

The spare parts are comprised of a 1x1 bley tile, a small Technic spacer, and a yellow cheese slope.

p1070117_small.jpg

Ratings

Design: 4.5/5 - The design on this is great in my opinion! The truck looks very smooth and accurate, and using solid-colored windshields as mudguards was certainly an interesting and fresh idea. However, it could have been a bit more detailed, not to mention that it is completely underscaled in comparison with the figs.

Build: 4/5 - The build was quite enjoyable. Nothing too repetitive, with some SNOT and very little Technic. It wasn't very challenging though, mostly due to all the large pieces being used.

Minifigs: 4.5/5 - Hamm and Rex are a great addition to the Toy Story theme, even though Hamm could have used a stud or two, and Rex' arms are kind of a disappointment. Buzz and the alien are pretty basic, but since I can't get enough of these figs, I really don't mind. It's just too bad we couldn't get Slinky and Mr. Potatohead with this set, considering they were in this scene in Toy Story 2 as well. I guess the poor little alien will fall out of the window with no one to save him and for him to pledge eternal gratefulness to. :cry_sad:

Playability: 5/5 - This set has all the play features of a good Lego truck, plus it shoots pizzas! How cool is that?

Parts: 4.5/5 - You get some interesting parts in this set, such as the large/solid-colored windshields, and the printed parts add some nice detail to the truck. The only problem is that since you can't remove the decals, the reusability of the printed parts is limited.

Price: 2/5 - 225 pieces for $40 is pretty bad, even if it's because most of the parts are kinda large.

Overall: 4.5/5 - This is a lovely little set! The Pizza Planet truck appears in almost all PIXAR movies, so this set is a PIXAR fan's dream come true! It's very accurate and could even be used for City too. Plus it comes with some cool figs and six pizzas. It's a bit pricey, but considering that it's one of the best Toy Story sets so far, I think it's worth it. And did I mention that IT SHOOTS PIZZAS?

Parting shot: The Demise of Captain Rex!

p1070121_small.jpg

Hi-res versions of all the pics can be found in this brickshelf folder. I hope you enjoyed this review as much as my previous ones. More Toy Story 3 reviews will follow as soon as my order arrives!

This review has made me hungry, so I'm off to have some pizza! :grin:

Great review with fantastic pictures!

This set looks like a lot of fun - the truck has high playability, great minifigs, and I'm extremely pleased to see that all the parts are printed. :wub: I think it would have been nice however to have seen some more details or accessories in the interior - the back is extremely empty and there are not even seats in the cabin. Still, a must buy if you're collecting Toy Story sets.

Great review, I didn't even know this set existed until I saw your review. TLG is really making some fun Toy Story sets.

This set looks like alot of fun, I really like how all the characters can actually fit in the truck for great playability.

Your reviews always deliver, now this one does too! :laugh:

This set looks really great.

I love the overall design of it and the minifigures included.

Thanks for the review :thumbup:

How the Pizza Planet Truck looks in movie:

pizzaplanettruck.jpg

(For anyone who doesn't saw the movie yet ( GO AND WATCH IT!)

Yay! its here! I sooo wanted to see this review!

The Rex minifig looks so good and so Ham! :thumbup:

The car looks amazing... and no stickers! (But I am a little sad that this two car windows aren't stickered...)

Oh and one more thing:

p1070114small.jpg

Edited by Lordofdragonss

Does the pig open up to get the coins out? Does he come with a hat, or what is that hole in his head for?

Steve

Does the pig open up to get the coins out? Does he come with a hat, or what is that hole in his head for?

Steve

Yes you can get the coins out underneath the figure. The toy story train set is the only set that has a hat for hamm.

LegoGalactus

Now that's what I call a proper review!

You've got me convinced, I'll be buying this set. Those yellow inverted windscreens look like very useful parts. Shame about Rex' arms and Hamms missing hat though...

Thanks for the brilliant review, Oky Wan! :wub:

I love the chunky retro design and all the great printed parts and windscreens. The shape is really original for an official LEGO model! :thumbup:

These TS sets do go to show what LEGO could do with vehicles if they had more room to manoeuvre in terms of size and detail.

Really tempting set but $55 Canadian for 225 pieces will probably keep me away.

Just a question, is this a Lego exclusive or will they be in TRUs as well? I've seen all the other TS3 sets at Toysrus except this one.

I didn't like the TS sets at first, but these are changing my mind. What I like is that they look good and aren't stuffed with flick-fires, but they're still too big. :tongue:

This and the garbage truck are on my "most wanted" of all the TS sets, including the first wave (of which I got just the Army Men).

I'm happy there are no stickers, and that all the minifigs fit nicely inside. Can't wait to pick it up one of these days... :p

Thanks for the review!

Great review! I love this set, but my only gripe is the horrible price. $54.99 Canadian for a set that's the same size as PoP Fight for the Dagger, which is $39.99. :sceptic:

Thanks for all the kind comments, guys. :classic:

Shame about Rex' arms and Hamms missing hat though...

It's not really missing since he only wears it when he is portraying the Evil Doctor Porkchops, but I agree that it would have been a nice extra.

Just a question, is this a Lego exclusive or will they be in TRUs as well? I've seen all the other TS3 sets at Toysrus except this one.

It's a Target exclusive, so it will not be sold at TRU. :wink:

I like the fact the SVU can "shot" the pizzas, very neat. However the set is just too small for $40, way too small. I love the pig and Rex, awesome, but that's it and they aren't worth $40.

So the short...

Nicely designed set.

Horrible price.

This is my favorite TS set, after the green army men. :wub:

I love everything about this set- that it's a hilarious representation of the 'real' thing, that we get so many printed pieces, that we get a lot of great figs with it, and that we get several pizzas. :oh: Fortunately, I won't have to buy multiple sets to get the little alien and Buzz- the two I most want.

Strangely, this is listed as under Toy Story 3 on S@H. I think it's also interesting that we get so many figs with it, only one of which was actually in the truck. Perhaps there is a toy version of the truck in TS3?

Thanks for the great review, very enjoyable! The set itself is ok in my opinion, but I don't feel this is one where printed parts are really welcome. The pizzas, the license plate I consider good choices for prints, as the base parts are common and the prints easily reused elsewhere. The windscreens and doors however are uncommon parts and would have been more useful to me as plain pieces with stickers. So I guess it all depends on whether one buys the set for display or for the parts.

Nice review! :thumbup: I this is a great set, but I also think the price is to high. :hmpf_bad: I still hope to get this though. :classic:

-

General Redwater

Strangely, this is listed as under Toy Story 3 on S@H. I think it's also interesting that we get so many figs with it, only one of which was actually in the truck. Perhaps there is a toy version of the truck in TS3?

Haven't you seen Toy Story 2? If so, you seriously need to do so! There, all these toys, along with Slinky and Potatohead hijack the truck in order to save woody. I haven't seen TS3, so I don't know if there will be a similar scene, but I'm pretty sure there wont, and that this set is actually based on TS2.

Thanks for the review. I want one. :classic:

Well, you can't have mine, that's for sure. :tongue: "MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE!"

I haven't seen TS3, so I don't know if there will be a similar scene, but I'm pretty sure there wont, and that this set is actually based on TS2.

That is really confusing. I assumed that this would be a TS3 set since all the other ones in that wave seem to be :wacko:

It's like releasing a complete Indy: KOTCS wave and then sticking an Ambush in Cairo in the middle.

Thanks for the review!!! I can't wait till my TRU.com order comes!!! I just wish this set was included in the %25off sale.

haha this is cool! The picture on the box made it look crap but your review has made it cool!

Thanks for the review!

I'm not so interested in the Toy Story range itself, but I like the look of the car compared with more traditional Lego cars... it looks like an actual car. I think the garbage truck is also in that scale.

Sort of makes me want to MOC other vehicles in that scale...