Sign in to follow this  
RocketClone

Spyrius theme review

images.jpg

For my first review,(first review in general :grin: ) I'm going to review the space sub-theme Spyrius.

Table of contents:

1.Background

2.Scans

3.The sets

4.The minifigures

5.Comments

1.Background:

In 1994 (when the islanders sub-theme was released) when the Space police, and Blacktron themes were finished, TLG decided to make another Spy like faction...Spyrius! :devil:

Spyrius is a space intelligence agency,(kind of like Blacktron) and their enemies are Unitron, and their job is to steal the technology from their foes the Unitron, and use it to eliminate them from the galaxy once and for all! :devil:

2.Scans:

00598.jpg

This picture shows the Robo-Gaurdian attacking what looks to be the monorail, but what's this?, some Space Police II sets! Even though the space police II theme was supposedly going to end in 1994, TLG decided to save the sets for one more year just for the Spyrius theme, Notice no unitron sets. :wacko:

180px-1994_spyrius_catalog_page.jpg

In this scan it shows all 5 spyrius sets, and the unitron space monorail. :sweet:

3.The sets:

The Spyrius theme consisted of 6 sets. (technically 5 if you don't count the surveillance scooter :laugh: )

1714 Surveillance Scooter

1714-1.gif

The Spyrius impulse, it's surprisingly good for an impulse, but nothing special either, it's still worth a buy on BL though. My rating 5.9/10

Fact: This set was also re-released in 1999 as the Space scooter. :wacko:

6835 Saucer Scout

6835-1.gif

Considering that the Spyrius theme wasn't circled around spaceships, this is pretty good, you can get it for a good price on BL. My rating 7/10

6889 Recon Robot

6889-1.gif

For a brick-built robot, this and the Robo-Guardian are the best LEGO bots of this time. My rating 8/10

6939 Saucer Centurion

6939-1.gif

The other spaceship in the Spyrius theme, It includes and most interesting play feature.(where you can eject a mini-rover) You can see it in this commercial. My score 8.9/10

6949 Robo-Guardian

6949-1.gif

The big robot on the block the Robo-Guardian! Just like the Recon Robot it's arms are posable, not much else to say here though. My review 9/10

6959 Lunar Launch Site

6959-1.gif

Not the biggest LEGO space HQ we've seen yet but it still has 1 interesting play feature, the rock formations can fold down to reveal the rocket! My review 8/10

Unidentified

1843-1.jpg

Not much is known about this fighter, as it was side packaged with a Royal Knight catapult. :look: Thanks Knightsword!

4.The minifigures:

Spyrius

sp039.gif

Spyrius chief

sp040.gif

Spyrius droid

sp041.gif

Note: The spyrius line was the first to feature a robot minifigure.

5. Comments: All in all the Spyrius line as a good theme to replace the aging Blacktron as the enemies, but Blacktron is still the best of the baddies in the lego universe.

Spyrius did execute the use of Robots excellently, and i wished that this theme had more sets to offer, but considering that this is a sub-theme i guess i really can't blame TLG.

I hoped you enjoyed this short Spyrius theme review, and i wish i could've added more to this but with me being busy nowadays, i can't be on here as much.

See you all next time!

Rockets away! :skull:

EDIT: iv'e added little mini-reviews for the sets.

Edited by RocketClone

A good mini-review, but a more in depth look at the sets and if/how they fit in together would be nice.

It's worth mentioning that 1785 Crater Critters has a robot in the Spyrius color scheme, as well as one in Unitron colors, released in 1995. It's easy to overlook because it has no minifigs and an out of sequence set number.

The Space Police II line did end in 1994 with regards to major new sets, but during that era sets were in catalogs and on sale for 2-3 years typically.

I agree with Section8 here. As a huge Spyrius fan, I'd have liked to see some more in-depth information of the sets. I'm currently debating whether to go ahead and complete my Spyrius collection with the acquisition of the 6949 Robo-Guardian... I guess I will, even if it is just to see how they look side by side with the Recon Robot.

Thanks 'RocketClone' for this mini-review. :sweet:

Interesting theme, sadly it was in the middle of my dark times, love that giant robot creation in one of those catalogue scans.

Maybe one day Lego will try this one out again, just like they did last year with SP3.

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

I like those droids, there are some in white as well, but of a different theme if i'm not mistaken.

I agree with Section8 here. As a huge Spyrius fan, I'd have liked to see some more in-depth information of the sets. I'm currently debating whether to go ahead and complete my Spyrius collection with the acquisition of the 6949 Robo-Guardian... I guess I will, even if it is just to see how they look side by side with the Recon Robot.

I was going to do mini-reviews of the sets themselves, but i did not have a personal experience building the sets, but i will try. :classic:

Also thanks for the comments guys, i wish i could've made this a full review, not a mini one.

I like those droids, there are some in white as well, but of a different theme if i'm not mistaken.

Yes, the explorien droids, but they have a transparent head as well.

If i could choose the next theme that lego redid like SP3 for instance I would definantly choose Spyrius! The color scheme is great the fig designs where nice and the whole idea of tech-spies that steal computers is just awesome!

Good review. I really miss proper Lego space themes. Always thought that the Spyrius theme was a bit too dependent on printed parts, and very busy designs, though.

Well, as this is one of the few full-theme reviews I've ever seen, I can't really say this is a bad one, now can I? Might want to go into detail a little more though.