Sign in to follow this  
metalandi

S@H Payment

Okay, this is something that bothers me since a while. Since many sets don't come to my local stores, S@H is pretty much the only place to get them all. And there's the issue, why can you still only pay with credit card? I used to have one, but now not anymore cause it got me in some trouble and i'm not going through this anymore. In times like these where you have paypal and such, why don't they offer payment with paypal, or a direct bank account money transfer? As far as i know the items are delivered from inside the EU, so there shouldn't be a problem with this. Is anyone else also a bit annoyed with this?

I believe there's some kind of cost associated for retailers (especially large International ones like TLG) using Paypal as a third party (either directly or indirectly) and TLG probably has built up a good enough relationship with their current credit card companies where they don't see the need to expand into it right now.

I'm sure if it was proven to them that enough customers wanted it, they would open up to Paypal as an option.

Can't you get a Visa/Mastercard without credit? My Visa-card doesn't have any credit associated with it. I can only pay with funds available on the bank account connected to it.

You should check with your bank, to see if you could get a debit card. It's basically an ATM card that allows you to use it like a Visa/MC, so it comes right out of your checking account. Also, have you tried giving Lego a call and seeing if they accept checks over the phone? I know they accept them through the mail. Of course, there is a short wait (a few days) while they process your check, before they'll ship your order.

-Wowplayer

Can't you get a Visa/Mastercard without credit? My Visa-card doesn't have any credit associated with it. I can only pay with funds available on the bank account connected to it.

Yeah. You can use a prepaid card as long as it's a company that Lego accepts.

VISA has a debit type card that you can preload with money and use like a credit card to buy stuff. You can only buy stuff up to the amount of money loaded on the card. I got one as a gift for buying an Epson printer.

Paypal has a percentage transaction fee charged to the merchant/vendor. We looked at implementing Paypal for our club membership dues and had to add a convenience fee to the prices to cover the Paypal costs. We still prefer members pay by cash or cheque. Credit card companies also charge the same kind of markups to the vendors/merchants.

In Switzerland you can pay by invoice... i.e. the lego arrives; and a few days later a 'rechnung' (basically invoice with payment slip) arrives to be paid. This is a standard payment procedure in Switzerland and protected in Law. However there is generally a limit of around 200CHF. Above this Lego writes to me asking for prepayment - which can be done electronically. They also provide their IBAN number; I pay, reference the order number and about 1 week later the Lego arrives. Everything is held onstock for 30 days.

Unfortunately such things are not directly possible when you do a S@H online order in the UK / USA (for example) - you need the c/c to get the order number. But perhaps phoning can resolve this? Especially since all telephone payments are handled at the same office near Windsor UK; and it is a central system, it may be possible (for Europeans) to ask to pay by invoice; or do some form of electronic pre-payment. For me - it is actually simpler to do an electronic bank transfer to their IBAN account - with the order number.

That question you have brought forward has been bothering me for a while as well, metalandi! I have always paid by credit card when I ordered a set from S@H. But if I phone them to get some bricks, I pay them as soon as I get them. There's always a bill in my brick order. I then transfer the money to their bank account (given on the bill). However, if the brick order is higher than 30 euro, I've always had to pay by credit card.

I remember buying two sets and not paying for them by credit card. I didn't have one back then. I paid by sending a cheque to them in advance. But while later they said the possibility of paying by cheque didn't exist any more.

If we (the Dutch) order something, we are given the option op paying by credit card or per invoice. Like Switzerland, we have a choice and there is no necessity to choose the credit card option. I usually pay per IBAN bank transfer since bank transfers within the EC are free of charge most of the time and it will enable me to manage and monitor the flow of funds in my checking account. Furthermore, I do not like to use credit card information online (risk of phishing or other ways of information theft) + I won't get surprised at the end of the month when the current amount due is being charged to my bank account (which can cause unpleasant surprises if you forgot about certain transactions).

Okay, this is something that bothers me since a while. Since many sets don't come to my local stores, S@H is pretty much the only place to get them all. And there's the issue, why can you still only pay with credit card? I used to have one, but now not anymore cause it got me in some trouble and i'm not going through this anymore. In times like these where you have paypal and such, why don't they offer payment with paypal, or a direct bank account money transfer? As far as i know the items are delivered from inside the EU, so there shouldn't be a problem with this. Is anyone else also a bit annoyed with this?

Paypal is not as big as you think, and it's fees are quite substantial compared to a CC. Especially when most people put money in their paypal account from a credit card.

In todays day and age any adult should be able to have at least a DEBIT card. You have a checking account right? A debit card will work the same way as a credit card. I think you might be the only one, as money transfers for goods is a pretty old idea, the only places that really offer direct bank account withdrawals are places where you have monthly re-occuring bills. Paypal is nice but the fees to both parties are ridiculous.