tunamint

MOC: Classic Goods Train

traintech1.jpg

After recently acquiring (or using a term I endearingly apply, 'rescue' :tongue:,) the remnants of two disused copies of 7722, a manual Level Crossing, a good deal of 4.5v track and a 12v motor on eBay, I decided to have another shot at creating a full MOC consist after not being too terribly thrilled with my first attempt last month. So after cracking open both of my 10183s (with a little assistance from 4996,) I give you the Classic Goods Train! (:

overview.jpg

Looks like the morning haul is heading through town.

engine.jpg

The locomotive - a small diesel mechanical model of German prototype, based heavily around the blue 7760, but drawing some influence from 7755 and incorporating 4563's 'pinstripe' color scheme. Normally I'm not a huge fan of decals, but I felt that they lent a fair amount of detail and interest, in this case.

engineside.jpg

I wanted to keep a small, stocky, and stubby appearance throughout the loco's profile, reflecting it's classic influences. Tiles cover the running board and hood, resulting in a mostly studless design.

enginerear.jpg

The loco from the rear. The original 1980's style magnet coupling has been fitted to both pairs of buffers to better authenticate the classic feel.

snotcab.jpg

A typical feature from sets of the day was the ability to easily lift the roof away from rolling stock in order to place minifigures inside, and this has not been overlooked here. The roof (and doors!) lift away in a single piece, connected only by the studs at the bottom of the doors themselves, which provides a surprisingly sturdy connection while in operation but still retains easy removal. The cab windshields are mounted upside-down to the body of the loco by fitting a jumper plate into a headlamp brick with the 'rear' facing vertically.

car2.jpg

Here's a ballast wagon, fresh with shiny new 1x1 tiles. A tiny piece of rolling stock at only six by twelve studs. I designed the wagon to resemble various similar types of mineral trucks frequently found in classic European trains.

carunderside.jpg

The car is even complete with a detailed braking system, as was typical of prototype!

hopper.jpg

Here's a completely brick-built working tipper wagon. Tipper wagons were staples of the blue era, yet oddly made no appearances during the grey era and were largely replaced by the hopper wagon during the 9v era.

hopperdump.jpg

As is fairly obvious, turning the wheel at either end dumps the load. Unfortunately with my limited supply of parts on hand (95% of my collection is currently 2,000 miles away from me at the moment!) the tipper capacity is rather shallow..

van.jpg

Here's a covered goods van, complete with ladder, detailed underframe and 'locking' doors. What could such a van be carrying?

vanside.jpg

Why, a Small Car of course! Some lucky owner in town must be having it shipped direct from the manufacturer. Costly indeed!

shunting.jpg

Yard sorting duties..

switching.jpg

And heading out for another run!

wind.jpg

40 mph winds are not great conditions for LEGO photography, but I didn't let that deter me. While attempting to stage a braking mishap in the sidings (as seen in the lower right hand corner) the wind finally decided to toss my whole setup around! Such is the railfan's peril.

I hope you've enjoyed and I hope to bring you something better next time! :classic:

handcar.jpg

Edited by TheBrickster

Wonderful train! I really like your undercarriage on the yellow and black wagon. It's a great mix of that classic feel with some not-so-classic high attention to detail. But I think you've done a wonderful job, and I'm pleased to see you've presented it with minifigs too!

But please resize your images to a max of 800 x 600, it's lucky I have a good connection otherwise they would have taken me ages to download! You can find a useful tutorial on resizing here. :wink:

Very nice classic train inspired designing, the engine and hopper are the best of the lot - very COOL ! :grin:

Great designing and I'm a conformist! 'tunamint' really I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I have a real soft spot for the old sets. Your design compliments them perfectly and I like the fact you've mixed small modern detail ideas into "old school" style and form.

Great job :thumbup: and that 12v motor , tires and rods look like brand new!!

Such wonderful photos! :wub: Every time I see the classic smileys in a classic layout I just smile and feel nice! :blush:

Thanks for the very nice pictures tunamint!

Lovely MOC tunamint.

They look so realistic especially the car carage.

They are all really nice and deserve to get blogged.

Well Done :thumbup:

Tunamint: I've been meaning to comment about this fantastic train MOC for some time. You truly captured the essence of Classic LEGO trains with this beauty. What really stands out for me is the little red DB engine that almost looks like a shunter. I love those red train doors with the DB decals. With the white strip, it just looks clean, neat, and classic. It's nice to see the angled/upside down windows which makes the figure inside very visible.

Your train includes a nice collection of rolling stock that would make this a 5 star set. Great job and I'm glad to see it blogged by Classic Town. :thumbup:

Classic styling but very modern style.

Nailed it!

Inspiring work, tunamint! Are you planning on any further additions to this layout, such as classy+classic trackside structures, etc.? I'd love to see your take on a "classic" looking railway station!