Calabar

[KEY TOPIC] Official LEGO Sets made in LDD

Another wonderful set from the Sculptures theme: 10214 Tower Bridge!

Almost a completely perfect build. The 'wheels' of the vehicles could not be connected properly and neither could the blue squares attached to the white fences.

Correctly connecting the cables and putting the vehicles on the bridge require too much effort to do in LDD, so I just left them how they are. :classic:

Aaoouw!! You've beaten me to it... Great work.

Here's my version anyway :

10214 - Tower Bridge

10214-tower_bridge.jpg

Like ADHO15, I've had a few connections problems, so there're quite a few pieces that floats around (even though they might seem connected...

A really nice model. And those micro cars are just pure genius.

LXF File

By the way, Superkalle, in your LDDManager, you sort the 1x1 plate modified with tooth under the 2x2 plate with wheel pins while it is actually in the Windshield section...

I thought I should mention it...

By the way, Superkalle, in your LDDManager, you sort the 1x1 plate modified with tooth under the 2x2 plate with wheel pins while it is actually in the Windshield section...

I thought I should mention it...

Thanks, I'll check it out!

@Aanchir

Check your post, there are problems with link of set 20008, and some sets are doubled.

@yellost

Yesterday I tried to connect the cables and I did it quickly for the lower cable.

When I'm trying to connect the upper cable (with much more difficulties) LDD crashes my pc (I clicked on the menu when the Hinge tool was working and... patatrack!), so I've not the file saved!

When I'm trying to connect the upper cable (with much more difficulties) LDD crashes my pc (I clicked on the menu when the Hinge tool was working and... patatrack!), so I've not the file saved!

Can you reproduce that crash?

@yellost

Yesterday I tried to connect the cables and I did it quickly for the lower cable.

Something I've noticed about the way the hinge tool work, is that it takes into account every single piece that is connectd to what you want to rotate... I had the crashing problem while doing the UCS Falcon (beside the fact that I sometimes had to wait a full minute just to see the parts rotate for half a degree in the wrong direction :sing: ).

So what I do everytime, now, is make a copy of the pieces that connet the part which need rotating to the main model, use the hinge tool and when everything is in the correct angle, I delete the copy of the top and bottom pieces and connect the main part to the real model. I don't know if I'm explaining myself well, I'll try to illustrate it later...

But that's another feature really needed in LDD 4.0 : an autosave function :grin:

I fear to do it again.. it crashes all my WinXP! :sing:

I think you can take it :tongue:

No, but seriouly if it's a LDD bug that is so devestating that it crashed the OS, then I suppose it needs to reported.

OK, once again we have two models - the Tower Bridge - which is an excellent opportunity to do some comparative checking :classic:

Issues in Yellost model:

- In several places you have used the color 212 Light Royal Blue instead of 102 Medium Blue

- You've used Color 139 Copper instead of Color 297 Warm Gold

- The Minifig shield on the top of the bridge should be Light Bley

- There's supposed to be many Reddish Brown bricks, but I can't find any - I think you may have used Dark Red instead.

- You've haven't used Red in the four 1x1 round plates at the ends of the bridge.

There may be more errors, please use LDD Manager to check colors and match them again the inventory at BrickLink. Sorry for being so tought on you :blush:, but we strive for excellence, right :classic:

Build/brick errors: Haven't looked yet.

Issue in ADHO15's model:

No color issues that I could find

Build/brick errors: Haven't looked yet. Only comment maybe that the "pointing right out" cables don't look so good.

There may be more errors, please use LDD Manager to check colors and match them again the inventory at BrickLink. Sorry for being so tought on you :blush:, but we strive for excellence, right :classic:

Well, actually, I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to use it for that... I mean, it is a fantastic tool I used constantly when I'm looking for a specific part, but in the colour department, all it gives is fancy numbers while in LDD, all I have is lots of colours without a hint of a name. So all I can do is go by feel I select it's the right shade of blue/brown/yellow or whatever...

There's most probably a subtlety of use in there somewhere which I have missed but I really can't find it... :sceptic:

Here's an attempt at fixing it anyway : LXF

(on a side note, I didn't put the shields in their light bley because the printing they're supposed to have makes them look more orangish, so I found it better looking that way ^^)

@Aanchir

Check your post, there are problems with link of set 20008, and some sets are doubled.

@yellost

Did you not read my full post? I edited it immediately after posting to explain that some sets were doubled, that this had nothing to do with what I typed (when I went to edit it, everything coded for each set just once with no repeats), and that there was nothing I could do about that.

I will go back and fix the 20008 link, though.

Well, actually, I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to use it for that... I mean, it is a fantastic tool I used constantly when I'm looking for a specific part, but in the colour department, all it gives is fancy numbers while in LDD, all I have is lots of colours without a hint of a name. So all I can do is go by feel I select it's the right shade of blue/brown/yellow or whatever...

There's most probably a subtlety of use in there somewhere which I have missed but I really can't find it... :sceptic:

Well, I do understand you. The color palette in LDD3 sucks badly. That's why I propose to import the file into LDD Manager, because it can give a summary of the colors in your model and you can then quickly compare against BrickLink and see if you're on the right track.

So, why are we so picky about using the right color (and parts) you may ask? Well, I don't know what the rest of you guys say, but personally I think these re-created sets in LDD is a fantastic asset that can be used for plenty good. E.g. mod sets and then order the parts from BrickLink. Or you can use them to check for those extra parts you found after you completed the build of the physcial model. Or....well I guess there can be many uses.

Hopefully, possibly, likely (chose) - there will be a better color palette in LDD4, and then we can say goodbye to the color guessing game!

And to finish off with - fantastic job on doing the sets in the first place :thumbup: You're making the world a better place :laugh:

Did you not read my full post?

Ehm.. ooops... I miss the note! :tongue:

However even little error in links create weird problems inside a post in this new forum: something similar happens to me in the index some time ago, and I fixed it finding an error in a link! :classic:

The 8x8 is also reported. And fixed so that it accepts studs from what I heard.

Regarding the cable, I was thinking more to make the them "hanging" in a more approximate fashion, i.e. no need to connect them to the lower cable attachments. Just to make the model look a bit better.

You mean in the new version? I can't get it to in the current version.

Have you not seen the new invisible towers they put up on the bridge to hold the cables horizontally? :laugh:

OK, once again we have two models - the Tower Bridge - which is an excellent opportunity to do some comparative checking :classic:

Issue in ADHO15's model:

No color issues that I could find

Build/brick errors: Haven't looked yet. Only comment maybe that the "pointing right out" cables don't look so good.

Does this mean I win this one? :tongue:

7666 Hoth Rebel Base (LDD 4.3.5 - Star Wars: Episodes 4/5/6)

LXF File

hoth_rebel_base.png

ERRORS:

Missing part x77ac50

Replaced parts 47675 and 47676 with 3961

Incorrect/missing prints and stickers

4504 Millenium Falcon (LDD 4.3.5 - Star Wars: Episodes 4/5/6)

LXF File

millennium_falcon_02.png

ERRORS:

Missing parts 78c06 and 78c31

Replaced parts 2991 and 44938 with brick-built solutions

Part 4274 cannot connect to 32065 (p20)

Part 3176 cannot connect to 30565 (p51)

Part 32000 cannot connect to 3938 (p58)

Part 2723 cannot connect to other parts (p64)

Part 32000 cannot connect to 4590 (p70)

Collision error between parts 47543 and 3795 (p70)

Part 6177 cannot connect to 48092 (p73)

4502 X-Wing Fighter (LDD 4.3.5 - Star Wars: Episodes 4/5/6)

LXF File

xwing_fighter_02.png

ERRORS:

Missing part x71

Replaced part 41880 with 648054

Incorrect/missing prints

Part 4529 cannot connect to 6141 (p53)

Edited by ADHO15

You mean in the new version? I can't get it to in the current version.

Have you not seen the new invisible towers they put up on the bridge to hold the cables horizontally? :laugh:

No, I mean in 4.0.

And oh, you mean THOSE towers :classic:

Does this mean I win this one? :tongue:

yes, yes, alright you win. Pearl Gold medal :laugh:

Or, if you prefer, color #247 Warm Gold medal. :grin:

I always prefer the official LEGO names and numbers-- they're a lot more compatible with the Universe-mode interface where, for instance, tan and dark tan (#5 Brick Yellow and #138 Sand Yellow) are listed under the yellow header, and the coding uses official ID numbers rather than those from Bricklink and LDraw. But unfortunately, the best database out there on those color ID#s and names is the Peeron color list, and people are more familiar with Bricklink's color names. Wouldn't be very inviting to strictly adhere to the names that baffle most new visitors to this forum!

Well, I do understand you. The color palette in LDD3 sucks badly. That's why I propose to import the file into LDD Manager, because it can give a summary of the colors in your model and you can then quickly compare against BrickLink and see if you're on the right track.

So, why are we so picky about using the right color (and parts) you may ask? Well, I don't know what the rest of you guys say, but personally I think these re-created sets in LDD is a fantastic asset that can be used for plenty good. E.g. mod sets and then order the parts from BrickLink. Or you can use them to check for those extra parts you found after you completed the build of the physcial model. Or....well I guess there can be many uses.

Hopefully, possibly, likely (chose) - there will be a better color palette in LDD4, and then we can say goodbye to the color guessing game!

And to finish off with - fantastic job on doing the sets in the first place :thumbup: You're making the world a better place :laugh:

Just a reminder for those who don't know how to get the right color in LU mode:

Pick a part that has the right color in DesignByMe mode and place it in a model file. Import that file into LU mode, use eyedropper tool on part to get the correct part color code into your model.

@Superkalle: I take it you are sending feedback on the color code issue with LU mode in LDD to the designers? It's something they really need to address.

Just a reminder for those who don't know how to get the right color in LU mode:

Pick a part that has the right color in DesignByMe mode and place it in a model file. Import that file into LU mode, use eyedropper tool on part to get the correct part color code into your model.

Good grief. That's too much like work. I'd like LDD4 LU mode to present the legal colors and just let you alter things with the color change pallet down on the tool bar, similar to regular mode. However, LDD4 is done... therefore this request is a day late and a dollar short.

Good grief. That's too much like work. I'd like LDD4 LU mode to present the legal colors and just let you alter things with the color change pallet down on the tool bar, similar to regular mode. However, LDD4 is done... therefore this request is a day late and a dollar short.

Well, the alternative (one I'd highly encourage) is memorizing what colors are on the standard palette and in what order, then create or download a file that has colors missing from the palette (mainly out-of-date colors). This topic by Superkalle will do most of that work for you. In fact, it helps even further because the included LXF chart and Excel spreadsheet both list the already-available LDD colors in the order in which they appear on the palette. This means that after using it for a while, you'll be able to distinguish between colors on the default palette that give people trouble.

If you'd like an even larger selection of colors, I've got my own modified versions of the LDD color chart and the Excel spreadsheet that identifies the colors on it. I expand this list occasionally when I find a color I've encountered in sets, but which isn't listed yet. However, the basic and most-often-considered unavailable colors (specifically, old brown, old gray, and old dark gray) are all on Superkalle's version.

Lastly, for those who'd rather take matters into their own hands, you can create a color even if it's not on the official LU-mode chart, Superkalle's expanded chart, or my expanded chart. To do so, create an LXF file for which the parts are hard to mix up-- I began using one with a single red 1x1 brick. Unzip the file like you would a .zip file to change it from a .lxf to a folder containing a .lxfml-- a file identical to the one you started with, only this one can be edited either with LDD or with a text editor like Notepad.

Using a text editor just change the number listed for MaterialID to any official LEGO color ID you want-- to find which one you need, I recommend the Peeron Color List which cross-references Bricklink names and numbers with the official LEGO ones. If you need more colors than just one, you can create more 1x1 red bricks by opening the LXFML file with LDD.

Once you have a single piece in the color you want, you can either use the eyedropper tool to select the color and then open the file where you need the color (the color you used the eyedropper on will stay selected) or just copy the brick and paste it into the file where you need the color. By creating a stack of 1x1 bricks in all the colors you need, you can build an entire MOC using only the eyedropper tool and never need to go into the LU color palette again!

Given that switching to DBM mode was too much trouble for you, I'd recommend just downloading Superkalle's color chart or mine-- changing the coding of an LXFML can be tedious, especially since certain colors like out-of-date metallics (like the original C-3PO's color or the color of various Knights' Kingdom swords) do not render correctly with LDD. But learning the official LEGO color names and numbers, or in the very least memorizing what each color looks like and where it is in the LU-mode palette, is a worthwhile experience for any LDD builder.

Hooray! :tongue:

4479 TIE Bomber (LDD 4.3.5 - Star Wars: Episodes 4/5/6)

LXF File

tie_bomber.png

ERRORS:

Missing part x264

Replaced part 30283 with 60219 and 32133ac01 with 57028

Incorrect/missing prints

8097 Slave I (LDD 4.3.5 - Star Wars: Episodes 4/5/6)

LXF File

slave_i_03.png

ERRORS:

Missing parts 61190a, 61190c, 61190d, bb456 and x37

Replaced parts 61190b with 3840 and 61190f with 92738

Multi-colouring bug on cheek areas of part 87610

7119 Twin Pod Cloud Car (LDD 4.3.5 - Star Wars: Episodes 4/5/6)

LXF File

twinpod_cloud_car.png

ERRORS:

Incorrect/missing prints

10123 Cloud City (LDD 4.3.5 - Star Wars: Episodes 4/5/6)

LXF File

cloud_city.png

ERRORS:

Missing part x127c41

Replaced parts 30646b and 33230 with brick-built solutions

Incorrect/missing prints

Part 55676 cannot be flexed (p65)

Edited by ADHO15

Well, the alternative (one I'd highly encourage) is memorizing what colors are on the standard palette and in what order, then create or download a file that has colors missing from the palette (mainly out-of-date colors). This topic by Superkalle will do most of that work for you. In fact, it helps even further because the included LXF chart and Excel spreadsheet both list the already-available LDD colors in the order in which they appear on the palette. This means that after using it for a while, you'll be able to distinguish between colors on the default palette that give people trouble.

If you'd like an even larger selection of colors, I've got my own modified versions of the LDD color chart and the Excel spreadsheet that identifies the colors on it. I expand this list occasionally when I find a color I've encountered in sets, but which isn't listed yet. However, the basic and most-often-considered unavailable colors (specifically, old brown, old gray, and old dark gray) are all on Superkalle's version.

Lastly, for those who'd rather take matters into their own hands, you can create a color even if it's not on the official LU-mode chart, Superkalle's expanded chart, or my expanded chart. To do so, create an LXF file for which the parts are hard to mix up-- I began using one with a single red 1x1 brick. Unzip the file like you would a .zip file to change it from a .lxf to a folder containing a .lxfml-- a file identical to the one you started with, only this one can be edited either with LDD or with a text editor like Notepad.

Using a text editor just change the number listed for MaterialID to any official LEGO color ID you want-- to find which one you need, I recommend the Peeron Color List which cross-references Bricklink names and numbers with the official LEGO ones. If you need more colors than just one, you can create more 1x1 red bricks by opening the LXFML file with LDD.

Once you have a single piece in the color you want, you can either use the eyedropper tool to select the color and then open the file where you need the color (the color you used the eyedropper on will stay selected) or just copy the brick and paste it into the file where you need the color. By creating a stack of 1x1 bricks in all the colors you need, you can build an entire MOC using only the eyedropper tool and never need to go into the LU color palette again!

Given that switching to DBM mode was too much trouble for you, I'd recommend just downloading Superkalle's color chart or mine-- changing the coding of an LXFML can be tedious, especially since certain colors like out-of-date metallics (like the original C-3PO's color or the color of various Knights' Kingdom swords) do not render correctly with LDD. But learning the official LEGO color names and numbers, or in the very least memorizing what each color looks like and where it is in the LU-mode palette, is a worthwhile experience for any LDD builder.

Jeez! And to say I thought I had a hard time with the hinge system... *huh*

Well, I'll stick with the small selection of official bricks from a DBM file imported into a LU one and I'll worry about the old grey colours and such much much much (much?) later :hmpf:

Anyway :

10216 - Winter Village Bakery

10216-winter_village_bakery.jpg

Hopefully I got it right this time...

The stickers are obviously wrong.

I only had a collision problem between the left window frame and the croissant (at least I think it is) and I couldn't put the red legs in the snow on the ice pond. It's probably already been mentioned but it's the first time I tried...

The baker's platter isn't the correct part but LDD refuses to connect a plate in a minifig's hand, so I changed it a little.

And finally I couldn't find the "ninja rope" for the lampioons so I creatively replaced it.

LXF file

Edited by yellost

Jeez! And to say I thought I had a hard time with the hinge system... *huh*

Well, I'll stick with the small selection of official bricks from a DBM file imported into a LU one and I'll worry about the old grey colours and such much much much (much?) later :hmpf:

Anyway :

10216 - Winter Village Bakery

Hopefully I got it right this time...

The stickers are obviously wrong.

I only had a collision problem between the left window frame and the croissant (at least I think it is) and I couldn't put the red legs in the snow on the ice pond. It's probably already been mentioned but it's the first time I tried...

The baker's platter isn't the correct part but LDD refuses to connect a plate in a minifig's hand, so I changed it a little.

And finally I couldn't find the "ninja rope" for the lampioons so I creatively replaced it.

LXF file

Your link goes to the image for the Brickshelf thumbnail rahter than the actual file. Easy mistake to make, chances are you just clicked "Copy Image Location" instead of "Copy Link Location".

In any case, from your image it looks like you used standard orange instead of Medium Nougat, the Prince of Persia color. Medium Nougat is in your palette as the third color from the left when you hold your cursor over the brown color in the LU-mode color palette. It's also an example of a color available in LU-mode that's not available in DbM-mode.

The ice rink also seems to use medium blue, while the set uses Transparent Light Blue. It's the middle color when you hold your cursor over Transparent Blue in the LU-mode palette, and in DbM-mode it's the color of the blue lightsaber blade in the Minifig Accessories category, or the third color of 1x2x5 brick in the Basic Bricks category.

Everything else looks the right color, but since I can't yet open the LXF file I can't verify that for certain. Still, just building by intuition and then asking others to check your work is probably the most effective way to ensure that you can fix any errors, so don't be afraid to ask others to double-check your work!

The ice rink also seems to use medium blue, while the set uses Transparent Light Blue. It's the middle color when you hold your cursor over Transparent Blue in the LU-mode palette, and in DbM-mode it's the color of the blue lightsaber blade in the Minifig Accessories category, or the third color of 1x2x5 brick in the Basic Bricks category.

What is the first trans-blue then? I thought it was trans-light blue, trans-medium blue and trans-dark blue.

Is there a list somewhere of what each LDD colour is?

Your link goes to the image for the Brickshelf thumbnail rahter than the actual file. Easy mistake to make, chances are you just clicked "Copy Image Location" instead of "Copy Link Location".

In any case, from your image it looks like you used standard orange instead of Medium Nougat, the Prince of Persia color. Medium Nougat is in your palette as the third color from the left when you hold your cursor over the brown color in the LU-mode color palette. It's also an example of a color available in LU-mode that's not available in DbM-mode.

Everything else looks the right color, but since I can't yet open the LXF file I can't verify that for certain. Still, just building by intuition and then asking others to check your work is probably the most effective way to ensure that you can fix any errors, so don't be afraid to ask others to double-check your work!

Ah Crivens!! Someday I swear, I'll get it right...

I fixed the link... And the colours you found so far... :hmpf:

Hello everybody.

I am really happy to join this community.

Sorry it is not such an original idea, but I like to start my LDD work with the first sets I owned, 30 years ago:

606 - Ambulance - Town

606_ambulance.jpg

Here is the lxf file:

606 Ambulance.zip

608 - Taxi - Town

608_taxi.jpg

lxf:608 Taxi.zip

Differences from the original: missing stickers, missing or different prints, the wheels are modern-type.

Now, a recent set:

6745 - Propellor Power - Creator

All errors have been fixed upgrading to LDD4

6745_propellor_power.jpg

LXF

Differences are due to correct parts which did not fit the assembly in LDD:

1 - "8m cross axle" in place of "8m cross axle with end stop"

2 - 2x3 black plate in place of 2x4, cause the 2x4 did not allow the turbine's correct placing.

Both differences do not affect the external look of the model, they would cause unstability when building it with real bricks. Any hints to solve these problems are welcome.

Simple work from a rookie, I hope you like it.

Edited by marco9999

What is the first trans-blue then? I thought it was trans-light blue, trans-medium blue and trans-dark blue.

Is there a list somewhere of what each LDD colour is?

Trans-medium blue actually comes first. It seems counterintuitive (after all, in the LEGO color naming system, "medium" is the shade between "light" and "bright", with a few obscure exceptions like Medium Nougat and Medium Lilac), until you realize that the official name for the color isn't Transparent Medium Blue, but actually Transparent Fluorescent Blue.

We in the BIONICLE fandom referred to it as Transparent Ice Blue a lot of the time, but in fact it's comparable to the BIONICLE eye colors Transparent Fluorescent Red (Tahu), Transparent Fluorescent Yellow (Gali), Transparent Fluorescent Green (Lewa, the oldest fluorescent color I know of), and Transparent Fluorescent Reddish Orange (Pohatu, although debuting many years earlier in the 1993 Space theme Ice Planet 2002). In fact, it is itself an eye color from the first year of BIONICLE, used in the Kopaka set from 2001.

Also noteworthy is the fact that being a fluorescent color, Transparent Medium Blue will glow under a blacklight. The same applies to some other non-fluorescent transparent colors but not to nearly the same degree.

This is one reason I like having Superkalle's color chart that I linked to a few posts back. It allows you to double-check this sort of thing, and oftentimes go a step further and figure out why things in LDD are the way they are.

EDIT: Here's the topic where you can get Superkalle's LDD color chart. Colors appear on the chart in the same order as they appear in the LEGO Universe palette. Additionally, here's my earlier post where I also linked to two expanded versions of Superkalle's files on my own Brickshelf, if you'd like to have some other more obscure colors available.

Edited by Aanchir