Calabar

[KEY TOPIC] Official LEGO Sets made in LDD

Garage doors actually do work. The trick is to add them to the model one piece at a time-- for instance, if you want the garage doors closed, place the bottom piece as low as it can be placed, then attach the next piece and so on. I did it on a Fire Brigade I made (unfortunately, I got stalled when I got to the roof layer and someone else did that set anyway).

Thanks! I might change it, but I just got City Public Transport, so I will be busy for a while!

3839 Race 3000

LXF File

No die or dice tiles.

Interesting build Prateek. Haven't seen any of the Lego games in LDD yet.

(Hm....makes me wonder if you can play the Lego games on LDD *huh* Ideas, ideas...)

Interesting build Prateek. Haven't seen any of the Lego games in LDD yet.

Surely yes (not all games, however) but I think it could be uncomfortable to move pieces, probably you should create a long list of groups and search among that before moving.

@Jay Sathe

The screenshot you inserted is big, could you reduce it?

Try to stay inside a 512x512 pixel image, as suggested in topic's rules. :classic:

(PS: the same for Aanchir who quoted the image.. can you delete image from quoting?)

@ashir

Good work. Perhaps baseplate colour is too dark, I've set 5891 and the baseplates are light green.

Beautiful job on this one too. Love it.

(But I didn't quite get it about the Sopwith Camel - did you allready make that one in LDD, or is it in the pipeline :classic: )

EDIT: Just noticed that the tan color is not really tan in your model but the similar "Light Nougat". If you can replace it with tan (or Brick Yellow as Lego calls it) and update the post, that'd be super.

I first bought the Sopwith Camel, in real hard physical bricks, and I immediately fell in love with it. Which made me want to see what the Red Baron looked like in 3D. That's how I started it in LDD. But I don't really have plans to do de Camel... The idea alone of having to use those hinges again makes me shiver *oh2* ... They reaaaaaaally need to work on those... But maybe I could...

What do you mean by "brick yellow"? there's no name on any of the colors, so I used the one that resembled the most to what I was looking for. it's the lighter of the many browns, I think... A pop up whith the name could be useful in future version, like it does whith the name of the pieces...

<-- marker! -->

10187 VW Beetle - was in progress, but IlikePi beat me to the punch ;)

10187-1.gif

Edited by Cadder

Surely yes (not all games, however) but I think it could be uncomfortable to move pieces, probably you should create a long list of groups and search among that before moving.

You would be able to if there were a group function, so it would be easier to move the pieces.

What do you mean by "brick yellow"? there's no name on any of the colors, so I used the one that resembled the most to what I was looking for. it's the lighter of the many browns, I think... A pop up whith the name could be useful in future version, like it does whith the name of the pieces...

For "Brick Yellow", when picking the colour for the palette, put your cursor over the Yellow swatch. Wait a second and more colours will appear. Brick Yellow is the tan colour you see either to the right of, or under the regular yellow colour.

For "Brick Yellow", when picking the colour for the palette, put your cursor over the Yellow swatch. Wait a second and more colours will appear. Brick Yellow is the tan colour you see either to the right of, or under the regular yellow colour.

Ah ok.

I updated my lxf file and my previous post

I first bought the Sopwith Camel, in real hard physical bricks, and I immediately fell in love with it. Which made me want to see what the Red Baron looked like in 3D. That's how I started it in LDD. But I don't really have plans to do de Camel... The idea alone of having to use those hinges again makes me shiver *oh2* ... They reaaaaaaally need to work on those... But maybe I could...

Please, please do the Camel too. Then you've (and the index here at EB) have got the whole series :classic:

In the meantime, I'll think about something regarding the off-set.

Regarding tan, I'm not in front of LDD right now, but hopefully some helpful soul can take a screenshot of the color palette and show which one it is.

EDIT - allready done by Prateek it seems. Thanks!

used a combination of four cheese slopes, one 1 x 4 tile and one 1 x 4 plate instead of the 2 x 4 x 2/3 slopes.

these are available, they are in the "windshield" submenu.

Thanks! I've changed the LXF file so that the 2 x 4 x 2/3 slopes are used instead, and I added a new picture. :classic:

<-- marker! -->

10187 VW Beetle - in progress.

I'm terribly sorry, Cadder, but I had built the Volkswagen Beetle about a week ago and forgot to post it here - it'll be edited in this post within a half hour. Feel free to create it in LDD and post your own version, though!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT (August 5, 2010): The LXF file has been updated with the correct tan color.

EDIT (August 25, 2010): The LXF file has been updated with the correct bricks in the hood of the car.

10187 Volkswagen Beetle (BrickLink - Brickset)

0-0final.png

LXF file

Notes:

• There is supposed to be a red rubber band on the two 'wheels' of the back engine, but since rubber bands can't flex in LDD, I left it out.
  • A smaller piece (a wheel cover) was used for the steering wheel (instead of the Technic steering pulley in the set) because the one found in the model does not exist in LDD.
  • The real set has 11L strings with end studs attached to two headlight bricks on the ceiling of the car (to act as celiing handles for passengers to hold on), but since you can't bend string, I left them out.
  • Inside the hood, I replaced two black 1 x 3 bricks with a 1 x 2 brick, a 1 x 1 plate, and one cheese slope because an angled plate inside the hood would not fit with the 1 x 3 bricks in place. (Scroll down to post #510 for a screenshot) Fixed!
  • I had to remove one yellow Technic half bush from each car axle because they wouldn't fit in due to tiny inaccuracies in the LDD brick dimensions.
  • For the two assemblies in which each of the large, trans-clear front headlights are attached to, I had to use three 1 x 1 round plates instead of a 1 x 1 round brick because the 1 x 1 round brick wouldn't fit inside a 1 x 1 Technic brick's hole.
  • The spare wheel that is supposed to be in the hood of the car is outside instead because there's nothing to attach it to in the hood - in the real model, it just sits inside.
  • The display card and spare wheel (which are included in the real set) are not shown in the screenshot, but they are included in the LXF file.

Edited by ILikePi

I'm terribly sorry, Cadder, but I had built the Volkswagen Beetle about a week ago and forgot to post it here - it'll be edited in this post within a half hour. Feel free to create it in LDD and post your own version, though!

No prob. I was using it to 'learn' more of LDD anyway... I'd only gotten as far as page 25 ;)

Plus, I was building it because I want to Mod/MOC this particular set...

[*]I had to remove one yellow Technic half bush from each car axle because they wouldn't fit in due to tiny inaccuracies in the LDD brick dimensions.

I found this too. My solution was to leave the middle 7L axle floating in space nearby. At least the stub-axles are symmetrical then :)

Edited by Cadder

Soz for double-post, but the two aren't related...

Here's a couple of the very first space sets I ever got, way back in 1979:

885 Space Scooter

885_space_scooter.png

885 LXF file

issues:

1. as posted here, the two trans-blue 1x1 rounds won't fit in the lattice of the 4x1 fence piece.
  2. 3934.gif and 3933.gif don't exist in LDD, so have been replaced by 50304.gif and 50305.gif respectively.
  3. Classic space torso image doesn't exist, so it's been replaced by its modern counterpart (which doesn't take on the colour of the torso brick itself, which sucks)
  4. Classic space logo is also missing from 2x3 slope.

886 Space Buggy

886_space_buggy.png

886 LXF file

issues:

1. 122c01.gif doesn't exist in LDD, so has been replaced by its modern counterpart assembly.
  2. Classic space torso image doesn't exist, so it's been replaced by its modern counterpart (which doesn't look as crappy in white as it does on red.)

UPDATED IN LDD 4.0

8128 Cad Bane's Speeder

lddscreenshot10.png

LXF File

-I used different prints.

Edited by prateek

Excellent work, excellent work!

Building official sets in LDD is turning out to be one of the best ways to find inaccuracys in LDD. And I report every last one of them to TLG.

Some comments/questions:

•Inside the hood, I replaced two black 1 x 3 bricks with a 1 x 2 brick, a 1 x 1 plate, and one cheese slope because an angled plate inside the hood would not fit with the 1 x 3 bricks in place.

Sorry, I don't follow you on this one - can you please take some screenshots, or otherwise clarify.

•I had to remove one yellow Technic half bush from each car axle because they wouldn't fit in due to tiny inaccuracies in the LDD brick dimensions.

I can see the missing yellow half bush, but I don't understand why it won't fit since this piece could be moved out of the way a tiny amount

•For the two mechanisms in which each of the large, trans-clear front headlights are attached, I had to use three 1 x 1 round plates instead of a 1 x 1 round brick because the 1 x 1 round brick wouldn't fit inside a 1 x 1 Technic brick's hole (is that already a known error, Superkalle?).

Yes, that's a known error.

PS: The "tan-ish" color you've used for seats etc, is not tan, but the similar "Cool Yellow". See Prateeks post a few rows up about where the color tan is on the color palette.

PS2: I also notice that in 14 places, you've used this 1x2 brick (without center pin, only for transparent color) instead of this normal 1x2 brick. You can use the shape selection tool to find them in the model. The reason why it's important that all bricks are right, is that if anyone want to order the parts for the model, it won't work becuase BrickLink and or DbM will not accept those brick in those colors.

So rule of thumb:

1x2 brick without center pin - for transparent colors ony

1x2 brick with center pin - for opaque colors.

(PS: I use LDD Manager to find these types of errors).

5571 Black Cat Giant Truck. First Model Team set on this thread! :laugh:

phplo4hdxpm.jpg

Download

UPDATE: Added proper windscreen and overhead lights. Fabuland Shovel not currently available on LDD...

8403 Family House

84031copy.png

Download

5581 Magic Flash

php11t32mpm.jpg

Download

UPDATE: Added proper windscreen

5550 Custom Rally Van

phpy2xsq5pm.jpg

Download

UPDATE: Added proper windscreen

5542 Black Thunder Helicopter

55421copy.png

Download

Download (alternate model)

Edited by BrickWild

Some comments/questions:

•Inside the hood, I replaced two black 1 x 3 bricks with a 1 x 2 brick, a 1 x 1 plate, and one cheese slope because an angled plate inside the hood would not fit with the 1 x 3 bricks in place.

Sorry, I don't follow you on this one - can you please take some screenshots, or otherwise clarify.

Here's a screenshot of the parts (please note that I used the hide tool to hide a 1 x 8 black brick because it covers the yellow 1 x 1 plate from view):

volkswagen_explanation1.jpg

The green plate is the 'angled' one I was talking about. If you used a 1 x 3 brick instead of the three colored parts shown above (red 1 x 2 brick, blue cheese slope, yellow 1 x 1 plate), the angled plate wouldn't be able to be at an angle because it would collide with the 1 x 3 brick.

•I had to remove one yellow Technic half bush from each car axle because they wouldn't fit in due to tiny inaccuracies in the LDD brick dimensions.

I can see the missing yellow half bush, but I don't understand why it won't fit since this piece could be moved out of the way a tiny amount

I've tried moving the piece you mentioned above, but nothing happened. Are you sure that the piece can actually be moved? Cadder mentioned having the same problem as me. :look:

•For the two mechanisms in which each of the large, trans-clear front headlights are attached, I had to use three 1 x 1 round plates instead of a 1 x 1 round brick because the 1 x 1 round brick wouldn't fit inside a 1 x 1 Technic brick's hole (is that already a known error, Superkalle?).

Yes, that's a known error.

Ah, good to know. I'll remove the words in the parentheses later on.

PS: The "tan-ish" color you've used for seats etc, is not tan, but the similar "Cool Yellow". See Prateeks post a few rows up about where the color tan is on the color palette.

I'm still not sure which color is tan - this is what it looks like when I hover over the yellow swatch on my computer:

volkswagen_tan_help.jpg

prateek said that "Brick Yellow is the tan colour you see either to the right of, or under the regular yellow colour." The color I've highlighted (it's the top left color of the yellow color grouping) is right under and to the right of yellow, and that's the one I've been using. Is the real tan on the bottom left of the yellow color grouping?

PS2: I also notice that in 14 places, you've used this 1x2 brick (without center pin, only for transparent color) instead of this normal 1x2 brick. You can use the shape selection tool to find them in the model. The reason why it's important that all bricks are right, is that if anyone want to order the parts for the model, it won't work becuase BrickLink and or DbM will not accept those brick in those colors.

So rule of thumb:

1x2 brick without center pin - for transparent colors ony

1x2 brick with center pin - for opaque colors.

(PS: I use LDD Manager to find these types of errors).

I know that the 1 x 2 bricks without center pin is usually for transparent colors; I was tired when building some parts of the model, so that was probably why I used the wrong type of 1 x 2 brick. :grin: I've already replaced all 14, and I'll have the LXF file and post updated as soon as I find out which color is tan...

Thanks for pointing out those mistakes, Superkalle! :classic:

Edited by ILikePi

I'm still not sure which color is tan - this is what it looks like when I hover over the yellow swatch on my computer:

volkswagen_tan_help.jpg

prateek said that "Brick Yellow is the tan colour you see either to the right of, or under the regular yellow colour." The color I've highlighted (it's the top left color of the yellow color grouping) is right under and to the right of yellow, and that's the one I've been using. Is the real tan on the bottom left of the yellow color grouping?

Yeah, Brick Yellow (tan) is at the bottom left. The one at the top left is Cool Yellow.

For future color reference, I recommend downloading the zip file in this topic. Inside, among other things, is an LDD file with all of the colors in the color palette in the order they appear (and a few that aren't available from the normal palette), as well a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet listing the official LEGO names and Bricklink names of the color in the same order. Any time you're unsure about which color is which, you can use that. I use it all the time to make sure I don't confuse transparent fluorescent green (trans-neon green) and transparent yellow.

Or, if you prefer, I have the same files with minor updates on my Brickshelf. Here are links to the spreadsheet and the LDD file. But it helps to download Superkalle's version first, as it also contains an image file that demonstrates what the different parts of the LDD file mean.

volkswagen_tan_help.jpg

The bottom left (the one beside the dark tan) :blush:

Yeah, Brick Yellow (tan) is at the bottom left. The one at the top left is Cool Yellow.

For future color reference, I recommend downloading the zip file in this topic. Inside, among other things, is an LDD file with all of the colors in the color palette in the order they appear (and a few that aren't available from the normal palette), as well a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet listing the official LEGO names and Bricklink names of the color in the same order. Any time you're unsure about which color is which, you can use that. I use it all the time to make sure I don't confuse transparent fluorescent green (trans-neon green) and transparent yellow.

Or, if you prefer, I have the same files with minor updates on my Brickshelf. Here are links to the spreadsheet and the LDD file. But it helps to download Superkalle's version first, as it also contains an image file that demonstrates what the different parts of the LDD file mean.

The bottom left (the one beside the dark tan) :blush:

Many thanks to both of you! I've already updated the Emerald Night and Space Police Central LXF files with the correct tan colors (the color select tool proves very useful for these mistakes!) and I'm in the process of updating the post for the Volkswagen Beetle. Interestingly, I used the correct color for the LXF file for Echo Base; I don't know why I suddenly switched to the 'cool yellow' color instead. :look:

The topic looks very useful! Thanks Aanchir for linking to it and thanks Superkalle for making it. I'll definitely use it later on if I'm unsure about which color is which. :sweet:

Here's a screenshot of the parts (please note that I used the hide tool to hide a 1 x 8 black brick because it covers the yellow 1 x 1 plate from view):

volkswagen_explanation1.jpg

The green plate is the 'angled' one I was talking about. If you used a 1 x 3 brick instead of the three colored parts shown above (red 1 x 2 brick, blue cheese slope, yellow 1 x 1 plate), the angled plate wouldn't be able to be at an angle because it would collide with the 1 x 3 brick.

Luckily I had the beetle on the shelf, so after examiniation I found that the 1x3 brick won't fit because you forgot to put a plate under the dark grey/red hinge pieces. So basically the two hinge pieces should come up one plate height. Then you will be able to fit the 1x3 brick. Also, after this is done, you can rotate the angled plate a little bit more so that it will rest on the two 1x2 sloped bricks.

I've tried moving the piece you mentioned above, but nothing happened. Are you sure that the piece can actually be moved? Cadder mentioned having the same problem as me. :look:

You're right, my mistake. I'll report this to the LDD team.

A tiny, tiny note too - the rearview mirror in the cab needs to come up a bit. (but now I'm nitpicking :laugh:)

In any case - really nice work on the beetle. And thanks a million for being so careful that you take notes when you build the model and report what doesn't work. :thumbup:

5571 Black Cat Giant Truck. First Model Team set on this thread! :laugh:

G'day BrickWild

That's a mighty impressive collection of official sets you posted :classic:

Couldn't help but to notice your other models on your site: http://lddmodels.jimdo.com/

and your brickshelf account: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=434998

Amazing stuff - I don't think we've seen the 10155 Maersk Ship or some of the fire trucks on this topic. Can you please post them here so that they can get indexed? That'd be great.

Here's more of mine:

10155 MAERSK Container Ship

10155bgcopy.png

Download!

4547 Metroliner Club Car (1991) - Theme: Trains

4547_metroliner_club_car_small.png

Download!

361 Garage (black fence piece not mounted horizontally due to current restrictions)

361_garage_small.png

Download!

Edited by BrickWild

Here's more of mine:

More excellent work. Impressive. :thumbup:

One issue, although minor, that you might want to fix is the blue color of the Maersk ship. You've used "Medium Blue" but the Maersk Blue in Lego's lingo is called "Pastel Blue". However that color is not available from the color palette in LDD. Instread you have to use the technique described here to get it.