noreha

Star Wars Lego 3D Art

And you got a point about keeping the polys down though, some of the bigger models I made, like the Egyptian temple really made my computer complain.

I completely agree about the keeping poly count down where possible, if I were to use some of my original bricks it would easily increase the poly count ten fold, I have had to make compromises (efficiencies) along the way to ensure that I don't kill my pc and I am able to easily modify things if I make a mistake - trying to make sense of parenting with about 1,300 pieces, trying to locate an individual piece can drive you mad... but the satisfaction of a job done well is immense!

Keep up the good work guys!

Have either of you looked at bump mapping for the logo? I haven't done it myself, but I have seen some really good examples of where it can work

Edited by noreha

Yeah, I guess a bumpmap could work, but sometimes it looks better when it's actually modeled.

I've been trying to get bump mapping to work but I can't seem to get it to tile correctly across plates.

I've been trying to get bump mapping to work but I can't seem to get it to tile correctly across plates.

I have used UV mapping when it comes to texturing repetitive patterns that have different spacing, it ensures that it doesn't matter which way it is facing the logo will point the right way and gives you stricter control... and how is the 'secret' project coming along?

It's actually on the backburner for the time being. :( I got a little distracted with an organic model I've been working on and I've also been commissioned to do a website so that's been eating up all my time. Apart from that, I'm a little bit stuck on that new-ish engine piece LEGO has. I don't have it in my collection and I can't find any decent references for it so it's kind of holding me up.

Amazing Art you guys! This is beyond cool- having custom digital MOC's. Maybe in the future we'll see more Blender/Digital Designer MOCs over the real thing...

Holy awesome! This is the kind of stuff I've been trying to do. I've got the tutorial that was posted on here and am going to try it out. I've been looking for a good one for awhile now. THANKS! You guys' stuff rocks.

I recently purchased a new computer, and I tried out it's rendering capabilities. Her is the result;

nebulon_b-2.jpg

This rendered pretty fast, in around 30 seconds (my old machine would have taken 15 minutes before deciding it didn't have the horsepower and stopping), so I'm going to use this model to work on my lighting and camera placement. I should be able to add more images here in the next few weeks.

Until then, enjoy this image.

Hey guys, yes it has been a while, but managed to get back into this after a long layoff... the latest image of 7665 - Republic Cruiser (only part way through it)

5621789721_074bb56d69_b.jpg

Wow it look great noreha, I must have missed this topic before, but if this is any bit as good as your Tantive IV it will look great.

Erm when you have done them both could you possibly do a comparison shot with them both?

Edit:342 post.

Edited by Mr Man

Fantastic as always, noreha. :wub: I've missed this topic; even if I never replied I did read it. Great to see you back at it again.

Looking real good noreha.

I'm glad to see you're back - hopefully this will reignite this fine topic.

That looks awesome guys! I can't believe that you model your own pieces though, it looks amazing! Why don't you just build in MLCAD, then export to 3ds though?

That looks awesome guys! I can't believe that you model your own pieces though, it looks amazing! Why don't you just build in MLCAD, then export to 3ds though?

speaking for myself, I actually enjoy making the pieces individually, gives my uber-organised mind something to concentrate on :laugh::)

and I like the challenges associated with making pieces I don't own (basing it all on assumptions and guess work) and complex pieces can take a few hours to do...

speaking for myself, I actually enjoy making the pieces individually, gives my uber-organised mind something to concentrate on :laugh::)

and I like the challenges associated with making pieces I don't own (basing it all on assumptions and guess work) and complex pieces can take a few hours to do...

That is actually what makes this 3D rendering more impressive, putting all your effort to create the individual pieces and not simply going the easy path of using existing models. So kudos to that! :thumbup:

That is actually what makes this 3D rendering more impressive, putting all your effort to create the individual pieces and not simply going the easy path of using existing models. So kudos to that! :thumbup:

thanks a lot, I just enjoy mucking around with both Lego and 3D modelling, so a marriage of the 2 is just heaven!!!

Here is 7665 about 25% of the way done...

5622780739_c660401da7_b.jpg

5622830695_ae9823e4e6_b.jpg

Edited by noreha

*oh2* This arwork you guys are making is fantastic! It's stunning the skill you must have to digitaly craft each piece and put them together. *huh*

You've made some iconic sets already and i can see your working on that republic ship thingy from EP1.

As I go back through this and see some of my old posts (Who knew I had posted here?) I'm just blown away at what you guys have made. I would never have the time or the patience to make any of these.

Latest ones...

5629767165_2d6eeb65ed_b.jpg

5630348902_c441e03bf8_b.jpg

5631038398_5150b3f557_b.jpg

5631039356_7ee5da9893_b.jpg

I will do a comparison with the Tantive IV when I complete it...

Edited by noreha

and now it is complete (excluding minifigs... still working on them), and my rendering program doesn't like it when I use over 1,500 lego pieces, so I will need to do a bit of research to try and bypass that issue to get the Tantive IV comparison completed...

5634286779_fdf7f65ed6_b.jpg

5634288615_5ce27d1b0a_b.jpg

5634865232_486a2e3f5d_b.jpg

WOW noreha :oh3:, that looks even better than the real set, so clean and shiny, I look forward to seeing it with the Tan IV keep up the great work. :thumbup:

Edit: Not to be pushy or anything (considering the amount of work in these things), but when the new Rep Frigate comes out could you build that and compare it with the Tan IV, and this?

Edited by Mr Man