Sign in to follow this  
TerranCmdr

WIP - Camera Jib (Crane)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Been kicking this around the past couple of days and thought I might share it. I don't know where I got my inspiration from but for some reason I had an urge to build a camera and a jib arm. Getting the camera to look halfway decent was the tricky part, and it's still very fragile. The crane works as well as I had hoped, although I had to add an extra string at the top for support. That little camera actually weighs a lot more than it looks! While I'm pretty happy with the whole thing, there are still a few parts I would like to change.

-I am most likely going to change the counterweight. Either box it in or find something more aesthetically pleasing. Right now, a battery box and tires aren't exactly cutting it for me.

-I want to add remote controls to tilt and pan the camera. These will be controlled on the bottom end of the crane. As it is right now, there's just a simple mechanism to keep the camera level.

-I need to make the boom arm more rigid. I'm thinking of adding strings on either side for lateral stabilization.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Video and pictures below.

cran1.jpg

cran3.jpg

cran2.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Hey, thanks guys! I was wondering when someone was going to notice my little thread. :P

The balancing was definitely the tricky part. I've been looking more and more at real camera jibs and it seems like they're balanced a little to the side of the camera, while mine is the opposite way around. Hopefully won't be long until I get version 2 together, I'm just trying out different techniques for strengthening the boom.

Edited by TerranCmdr

I LOVE that! Being a film major and all XD. I need this for my room, I might try and build something similar if you don't mind. My two favorite things, film and legos... IN ONE!!! :)

Haha I'm glad you like it. I don't mind at all if you build one yourself. In fact I'd love to see what you come up with. You probably know more about these things than I do.

Best (and only) LEGO camera I've ever seen! The details are excellent. Since I work in broadcast journalism, I've used an extensive array of cameras, so I appreciate how realistic yours is. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Edited by ImLost

Nice camera MOC.

It looks very realistic on the crane.

Well Done :thumbup:

Wow, I really appreciate all the interest in my little MOC. I have a day off tomorrow so hopefully not much more time before I post V2.