Esben Kolind

MOC: Power Functions High Sped Train with automatic doors

traintech1.jpg

Hey everyone,

My latest train is a High Speed Train based on the RC base and packed with Power Functions functionality. The train includes working front and back lights, interior lights, a rotating fan on the roof, automatic doors and a (new?) close coupling technique. See below for detailed pictures and description + YouTube videos of the functions. More pictures can be found in the Brickshelf folder (after moderation)

abfront.jpg

The front is SNOT in all possible directions. It's built around the window piece which I thought would make a great front at the right angle and with the right curves. The picture shows the inside of the front cabin. I used a similar technique on my latest Intercity train.

front3.jpg

The door is custom built by Technic pieces and is opening using a rubber band:

door1.jpg

The inside of the center car contains:

• 1 Medium PF motor
  • 1 Micro motor
  • 1 RC Battery box
  • 1 PF Rechargeable battery
  • 4 PF light wires (8 lights)
  • 1 PF to 9V cable
  • Gears and axles for the door functionality

inside4.jpg

The front cars have interior light as well as working head lights:

inside1.jpg

As shown on the picture below, the boogies closest to the center car are not attached to the car but can move freely. This allows for a close coupling where the cars are always aligned. Hard to explain, see the picture. I have simply put the rubber band on the roof, think of it as wires of some sort.

xcoupling2.jpg

The train was displayed at Danish LUG Byggepladens annual Klodsfest recently. The kids were allowed to run the train with the remote controllers and it was great fun to watch their faces when the doors opened :classic:

kf3.jpg

Finally, two videos showing the functionality:

I am looking forward to your comments.

Esben

Edited by TheBrickster

The engineering within this model is great with nice features. The way the doors work is lovely.

So simple, yet so smegging AWESOME ! :grin:

'Esben Kolind' you are a genius ! :sweet:

That door opening idea, man that is one of the best MOC ideas I have ever seen !

Isn't PF wonderful !

Really nice train design too !

AWESOME work !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Nice work Esben! Those doors are somehow familiar... ;-)

What controls them? You say they're automatic, does that mean something triggers them when the train stops at the platform?

Hey everyone,

My latest train is a High Speed Train based on the RC base and packed with Power Functions functionality. The train includes working front and back lights, interior lights, a rotating fan on the roof, automatic doors and a (new?) close coupling technique. See below for detailed pictures and description + YouTube videos of the functions.

<snip>

I am looking forward to your comments.

Esben

I really like all the little extra functions. The doors and rotating fan are really clever.

Clearly a lot of time and effort into not only giving this functionality, but also a good exterior appearance. And it's kept in 6-wide. Well done, an exceptional model!

very nice. i cant wait to play with PF. i got stuck with RC, but PF looks like a lot of fun! love the doors! and your LED lights, how to those connect into the system?

Nice work Esben! Those doors are somehow familiar... ;-)

What controls them? You say they're automatic, does that mean something triggers them when the train stops at the platform?

Thanks. Yes, I guess you were present when the doors were "invented"... I have been wanting to put them in an actual train for some time now :-)

The train is controlled by two remote controllers (stacked on top of each other): The RC controller for moving the train and the small PF remote control for opening the doors (red) and all lights and the fan (blue).

Esben

Awesome work!!! I love the use of the RC and PF components and I think this really goes a long way to show what kind of innovative options those two systems bring to the Train community. I applaud you for embracing both systems and especially on a display layout! :thumbup: :thumbup: The working doors and lights just really add realism that makes this MOC fantastic. And the SNOT work to get the nose of the train to look right is spot on. Really nice work.

Soon to be...

bloggedct.png

-Davey

tot-lug_100x40.jpg

Oh wow, that is really wonderful...exterior AND interior lights! And of course, the automatic doors are awesome! I don't have any Lego trains, but this really makes me want a train and power functions badly! I may have to break down and grab an Emerald Night from S@H sooner rather than later now!

nothing to say but "Well Done" a awesome model great work on the engineering, my father was a lego train head, and he would have killed to be the man who created this, good show :classic:

Wow, one of the most awesome trains I've ever seen! I love all the detail you've put in, from the running fan and lights to the opening doors! sheer brilliance indeed, definitely truly keep bricking :thumbup:

I forgot to add that the angled front of the train is really well done--yet another unique feature of this very well-engineered train!

Comment (which said nothing) and quote of complete initial post has been removed by moderator. Please repost a comment that makes sense and do not quote an entire post with images.

-TheBrickster

!!!

*Crawls around on the floor trying to find my dropped jaw and glasses*

:thumbup:

That's it~

It's simply wonderful! My eyes popped out the moment the doors popped out! Absoluate genius! Great working doors! Can i just ask what the rubber band inside the door is for?

Wow... Interior and exterior lights, opening doors, PF functions, IR...

Simply amazing train that will definately wow everyone...

Thanks for sharing and truely remarkable creation! :thumbup:

This is truly great. Not only are the doors functional, but you also managed to have interior details - and lights! ... and a rotating fan! in a small 6 wide train.

The front itself is enough to make the design of this train great, but you just couldn't help but take it a step or two further, I guess.

Now you just need an automatic remote.