def

What are you reading?

Got this for Christmas. It's pretty funny. "The Daily Show" is a comedy news show that probably only airs in the USA, and this book is co-authored by writers from the show:

It's kind of a coffee table book with a bunch of photos and such, but it's all geared to make you laugh.

Oh no, it airs in Canada and Britain I believe.

I'm reading The Hobbit, then I'll move on to LOTR

Just started "Europe reborn. A history. 1914-2000" (Geschichte Europas im 20. Jahrhundert - Fall und Aufstieg) by Harold James. About 480 pages and a rather small font, so this will take a while.

"The Runes of the Earth," by Stephen R. Donaldson.

It's the first book in the third (supposedly last) trilogy of "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant."

Burman: Getting the last book so far of the mini-series can be a terminal mistake! I jumped into Discworld with a book half way into one of the many character series within and was so confused by it I didn't read another until the cover of Soul Music appealed to me. (At 15, a grim reaper on a motorcycle is awesome). Wee Free Men, Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith all preceed that book, fleshing out some of the details one is assumed to already know before approaching the book.

At the moment, I myself am planning on rereading all the Watch books, then possibly the Witches.

I agree with you Peppermint. I finished reading the book and I understood most parts but some sections were a tad confusing. I will more than likely go back to the start of the series and read those before I buy any more.

Currently rereading a classic by the Grandmaster of SciFi:

The Foundation series

Read it already in translation, now finally reading the original English books.

A bit archaïc, but I love these books!

the star wars horror novel Death Troopersit's really good so far and I'm glad they've bridged the gap between Star wars, and horror novels, two of my favourite things!

I currently half way through American Pyscho and a book called Nothing to Envy which is about North Korea. I haven't read much lately though, so I'm trying to make a real effort to set aside time to read.

I currently half way through American Pyscho and a book called Nothing to Envy which is about North Korea. I haven't read much lately though, so I'm trying to make a real effort to set aside time to read.

American Psycho is a great novel. Fun to read on the bus with a curious pensioner reading over your shoulder.

At the moment, I'm reading Frankie Boyle's autobiography, My Shit Life So Far. Yes. Pretty funny as you'd expect. Well, pretty fun as you'd expect if you were a fan of Mr. Boyles. He's not everybody's cup of tea.

Just recently reread all the Sandman graphic novels by Neil Gaiman. Beautiful series.

A Storm of Swords, George R.R. Martin

I was obviously weary of this, due to this guy straight ripping his name from Tolkien, but a friend of mine, who is basically a kindred spirit in all respects, was really into it, so I figured "why not" and got hooked. start reading a flippin 1000 page novel the week before the semester starts...

anyway, I'm impressed, it's very well written feudal lord stuff with the slightest hint of fantasy, growing more fantastic eventually, but in a way you might expect to be exposed to the unbelievable coming from a nearly normal world. it's a great threads woven together kinda thing, following specific characters, and they're all decently complex, flawed and lovable. there are one or two characters that I groan when it goes to a chapter about them, but they always turn out to advance the story pretty well and have great secondary characters to carry them.

But anyway, pretty well written medieval warring with all the strategies and treachery and shifts in power (the names of the books sum it up pretty well, game of thrones, clash of kings), very immersive, but every once in a while outta nowhere it turns into clumsily written pervy erotica, and I just wonder why the writer goes from eloquent intelligent fiction to kinda amateur, well.. It's not that it offends me personally in content, it just seems out of place and not really what I'm in it for. I understand that the characters would do this and that and would feel like this and that, it's just the way he writes it... It's like Mr Garrison writing his romance novel: definitely offensive south park but that's the idea :wink:

On another note, Brian Jaques (Redwall) died 8 days ago and I didn't learn till today. :cry_sad: it's not like he hadn't written too many formulaic kids novels a ways back but I still miss the guy. He had lots of fun with sounding out crazy accents. I enjoyed the "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"-esque riddles to save the day, and hated the feast scenes for the awful humor and long winded poetry (more tolkien inpiration :grin: ). they always seemed to be eating ridiculously good stuff though, made me salivate anyway (really wanted to try the otter's favorite soup due to the overspicy reputation) :laugh: all the different societies and cultures were established vividly. Seemed to glorify revenge a lot for kids books, but all stories don't have to be Veggie Tales :tongue:

(Clone Wars, you need to drop the fortune cookie morals)

There were definitely standouts among the formulaity (apparently not a word but screw you dictionary), and his other shorter series, castaways of the flying dutchman, was great, if tragic.

And I wanted a redwall lego line. redwall=fabuland*castle*the depictions of commoners life that castle fans desire so.

reminding me about that crazy nestle quik bunny head piece. if I ever get one, it will be the prize of my minifig collection and I will cherish it always and name it george...

Anyway, rest in peace, Brian.

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

I'm currently reading the Ilias from Homer. It's hard to get into due to the unfamiliar style, but it's really interesting and fun to read once you've adapted to it. Before this I reread the Lord of the Rings again, but this time in its original language.

I'm currently busy reading stuff for my thesis, but there's "Blameless" by Gail Carriger waiting for me to pick it up. Can't wait, I loved the first two books!

Just finished 'Moving Pictures' by Terry Pratchett

So have moved onto 'Inside Out' by Maria V. Snyder

D

The Lord of the Rings. All 3. In one book.

God, just make it stop. :sing: