def

What are you reading?

What? You can preorder? Now I really wish I had kept getting on the site. :cry_sad:

Does anyone know what the title is? Sorry, but I'm kinda low on info here. :sceptic:

The Fourth Book is Called Inhertinence...And it has a Green Dragon on the Cover...

Sorry guys, I stopped reading it at Eldest, I am afraid I sort of outgrew it by the second book...

If you like Dragons, The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde is really good (don't worry about the title, honest) I like the writers other work so I picked up that one and it was really good.

I'm alternating between Stephen Frys second autobiography (with a thesaurus!) and Analysis of Shaolin Chin Na. Talk about opposites...

And for the Pratchett fans - I've just rescued two boxes of my signed copies from my ex wife. She gets the house, I get the books - I think I win!

I just finished re-reading "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells. It's definitely my favorite book, considering that this was my seventh reading! And at 112 pages, it's a quick read too. Although the only other book I read 7 times is 964 pages :P

For some reason, I always seem to stumble into people who are against reading a book more than once, but I consider books to be like movies... you can read them whenever you're in the mood. And "The Time Machine" is amazing.

I just finished re-reading "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells. It's definitely my favorite book, considering that this was my seventh reading! And at 112 pages, it's a quick read too. Although the only other book I read 7 times is 964 pages :P

For some reason, I always seem to stumble into people who are against reading a book more than once, but I consider books to be like movies... you can read them whenever you're in the mood. And "The Time Machine" is amazing.

Agree on that. I also liked Wells' concept of time travel. It's very different from what we usually see in today's media, e.g. all the wormhole stuff.

Agree on that. I also liked Wells' concept of time travel. It's very different from what we usually see in today's media, e.g. all the wormhole stuff.

Definitely! The book has such Victorian charm, even amidst such an overused modern sci-fi concept. But my favorite part of the book is his future land. The part where he first arrives, during the thunderstorm, is my favorite! It feels SO alien, despite having no spaceships, advanced technology, or aliens for that matter. Sci-fi at its best.

I'm reading "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale and Other Classic Stories" by Philip K. Dick. He was a gifted sci-fi writer.

"A Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury. Really good, he was a master. :thumbup:

Also 'Inheritance' by Christopher Paolini. Also exellent, character development is at its best here. :sweet:

Edited by Darth Nihilus

Definitely! The book has such Victorian charm, even amidst such an overused modern sci-fi concept. But my favorite part of the book is his future land. The part where he first arrives, during the thunderstorm, is my favorite! It feels SO alien, despite having no spaceships, advanced technology, or aliens for that matter. Sci-fi at its best.

Indeed, I was thrilled to see this possible future. What we normally see is either dystopias or utopias, but not a mix of them, as far as I know. I also liked the evolution of human beings into two separate species based on work conditions.

A good book, but if you ever come across the "sequel", A Scientific Romance, by Ronald Wright, in which HG wells's time machine returns to the future. Please put the book down and walk away. I have to read it for English and it is the most god-awful piece of rubish I've ever had the misfortune to read. It insists upon itself and it wants to be so witty and smart. But it just makes for a rubbish piece of sattire that is so boring. Honestly, theres 200 pages of the book where this man finds a cat in Dystopia and its a very big deal. Oh, and on that note, it loves to tag on to the same dystopian concept that is really over-used by now.

A good book, but if you ever come across the "sequel", A Scientific Romance, by Ronald Wright, in which HG wells's time machine returns to the future. Please put the book down and walk away. I have to read it for English and it is the most god-awful piece of rubish I've ever had the misfortune to read. It insists upon itself and it wants to be so witty and smart. But it just makes for a rubbish piece of sattire that is so boring. Honestly, theres 200 pages of the book where this man finds a cat in Dystopia and its a very big deal. Oh, and on that note, it loves to tag on to the same dystopian concept that is really over-used by now.

The only sequel that I tried to read (there are dozens!) is the one officially endorsed by the Wells estate, "The Time Ships." It was written for the original books centennial and it is equally awful. All the simplistic charm of the original disappears.

Just finished Star Wars: Republic Commando: Order 66. I'm now re-reading both Star Wars Episode IV novel and Radical Together by David Platt.

Edited by DarthR2-D2

The Belgariad. A wonderful look at Fantasy. Refreshing, even.

Eragon...Yeah Rereading the series..

I've just read them over Christmas and I'll order Inheritance in a day or so.

Currently I'm reading The Book Of The Dwarfs by Marcus Hertz, it's quite good, better than I'd thought.

I'm alternating between Stephen Frys second autobiography (with a thesaurus!)

I had no idea he had a first :wub: He's such an incredible guy. I've loved him for years, and since I really took note of him (around his appearance in V), I've noted a lot of his previous appearances (like in Blackadder and Fry & Laurie) and later appearances (like in hosting the super great QI or the BBC docs on America or on language). My first taste of his biography was his special one-hour audience free appearance on Craig Ferguson.

While I'm sure his life is somewhat more interesting than average, I know that with the quickness of his wit on a moments notice, his written work would be compelling.

I'm reading "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale and Other Classic Stories" by Philip K. Dick. He was a gifted sci-fi writer.

He's so great :wub: I haven't picked up that collection. The only short story collection of his is The Golden Child, if I remember correctly. But I was surprised when moving last year that I had more books (here) of his than anyone else. I still think his prose is chunky, but his concepts are divine.

I'm at the halfway point of The Real Life of Sebastian Knight, by Vladmir Nabokov. Nabokov was most likely the most gifted writer of the 20th century, and writes prose in the way a LEGO-fan should enjoy; he breaks language into parts and reassembles it in whatever way he sees fit to light a spark in you. This book, published around 1940, hits a fine mid-career point for him, before his definitive book, Lolita. In his early career, he wallowed in pulp somewhat (Laughter in the Dark), and late in his career his books became academic, (Pale Fire), but Knight just hits a sweet spot, throttling the English language without dwelling on it. Nabokov is recommended for anyone who thinks they like literature, and of his books I've read, Knight seems to be an easy entry point. No elves, time travel, or other stuff though. Be warned.

I finished "Lamentation" by Ken Scholes the other day (and highly recommend it to anyone who likes good fantasy literature that involves using your brain) and am now enjoying "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern.

Just finished Book 2 in Salvatore's Neverwinter stuff. Seemed like fan service to me.

I actually read "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens and "The Odyssey" by Homer.

I started to read "The Mirror of Cassandra", written by my favorite french writer, Bernard Werber, but this book is just an absolutely unpleasant experience, just like "Requiem For A Dream" was as a movie. Werber was a good writer, in the beginning of its career ; but now he has lost a lot of its talent to write cool imaginative stories, like Stephen King did, in fact. Maybe Salinger was right to write a masterpiece of art and nothing else for the rest of its life.

I just recently concluded reading The Aeneid. It was a good read, however I prefer the mythology of Greek literature, to the Augustus Caeser worship of the Aeneid. I just kept reading it whilst wondering what Harry Potter would be like if it was just pro-Tony Blair propaganda. I did enjoy the crossover with the Odyssey, when Aeneas and co. find the Greek stranded on Polyphemus' island, left by a fleeing Odysseus.

I just finished rereading the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series, as well as the current 2 books of the Heroes of Olympus series. The integration of everything mythical is stunning, as well as the descriptions and the overall plotlines of both series. I also am loving the character development of Nico di Angelo, what with losing one sister and gaining another. Riordan is truly a master of his craft. :thumbup: