def

What are you reading?

I'm currently reading through one of my teenage's favorite fantasy series, the Wheel of Time, this time in English. I'm now in the middle of the third book, Dragon Reborn. The Finnish translation I read when I was a teen divided each English book into two or three translated books, and then I got to Book 21 (which was the latter half of the English Book Nine).

The series is still not complete, though, with three more books still to be published, so I'm hoping to endure twelve more brick-sized books in order to finally get to the ending of this book series I started reading about ten years ago.

You know, when I finish Legacy of the Force, I'm thinking about reading the 39 Clues. A friend suggested it to me. Is it any good?

I'm reading through all the SW books, and I just happen to be on the Episode I book, The phantom Menace. A little more detail than the movie but honestly not much.

Hmm... Interesting topic def!

Right now I'm going through the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series. Right now I'm on So long and thanks for all the fish, Right when God's final message to his own creation is revealed. Mostly harmless is up next. After that probably bloodlines.

Some of the last books I've read are Dirk Gently's Hollistic Detective Agency and some (well, most really) of the Wooster and Jeeves books by PG Wodehouse.

If you haven't read them, Edgar Rice Burroughs is more known for his Tarzan books, but I recommend his Barsoom series. (AKA John Carter of Mars). A Princess of Mars is one of my favorite books, mainly because of Tars Tarkas.

I've currently been reading the 'Tunnels' series, anyone heard of them? Their a NYT bestseller. I'm awaiting the fourth one which comes out this month. I've also been reading the westing game for school, good book. If your age 12-16 I reccomend you read them

I've been reading the Eragon series and is it mighty long but good.

If you havn't heard of them it's about a boy named Eragon with a dragon called Saphira and his teacher Brom

I'm reading Garden of Rama, the third in the epic Arthur C. Clarke/Gentry Lee Rama quadrilogy. Erm... haven't read any of the others, but this has been lying around the house for almost two decades and I've recently discovered just how amazing Clarke is so I decided, ehh, couldn't hurt. Thankfully, most of the references back to books 1 and 2 are cryptic snapshots so I'll still enjoy them if I ever buy them. I'm sure as heck enjoying this.

I'm not sure wether to read 39 clues, the sequel to Thing Not Seen, or some hand-me-down Star trek Voyager books. Suggestions?

Too late :tongue: .

I just bought Things Hoped For and fate of the Jedi: Outcast.

Things hoped for is a book written by the amasing Andre Clements. The first was recommanded to me by a friend of mine, and was outstanding. I found the sequel on Google, and picked it up today at Chapters. While there I saw Outcast for the first time in paperback. It's not only a sequel to the Legacy of the Force series, but it's written by my near- favorite Starwars author, Aaran Allstan.

Harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban, Re-reading them all in anticipation of the new sets, I've read the 1st and 2nd in less then a week.

I've finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series (by Douglas Adams) for the second time two weeks ago. The books get more complicated as the plot goes on, but these are the best I've ever read.

"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties." (Life, the Universe and Everything, chapter 9)

I also want to re-read The Chronicles of Narnia series.

Edited by noname

I've been reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It just came out last year, and is fantastic. I've about 100 pages left, so I hope to finish it this weekend. The book is about the rise of Thomas Cromwell, from the lowborn son of a blacksmith, to the second most powerful man in England under King Henry VIII. The book really captures the thinking of the day, as almost every character speaks in terms of what God and the King would think, and any questionable statement is questioned... There is a certain parallel with post-911 America. For example, the part I read this afternoon; <speaking about baby Elizabeth, the King's daughter: "She could be anyone's child." "I think you mean to say all babies look the same."...Can't imply the child is a bastard> Plotting and deception are normal and expected, but all must be veiled in a correct style of speech. Absolutely awesome, if a little difficult.

And I started a second novel at home (one for work, one for home). The Years of Salt and Rice by Kim Stanley Robinson. I'm about 1/4 of the way in, and it's fascinating. It's an alternate history of the world, starting around the year 1500. In this history, the black plague killed 99% of Europe, and Buddhism and Islam became the dominant world religions. This hook sold me on reading it, but the framing device is not what I expected and delighted me (and I won't spoil it either). Cool, cool stuff.

So much good stuff. It's a lot easier to write a good book than it is to make a good movie. Low overheads, low investment, and infinite special effects. Go to the library, kids!

I'm currently looking around for Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn, a SW best seller, and the first novel with mara Jade.

I just finished reading The Draco Tavern from Larry Niven. It's a collection of stories about a tavern on earth for visiting aliens.

Just finished the brilliant (but violent) Millenium series by Stieg Larsson (proving once again that things from Sweden are just plain badass. :tongue:) Coincidentally, the latest movie from the series (in the original Swedish) to be released in Canada comes out today (The Girl Who Played With Fire), so I will have the opportunity to critique it with the book still fresh on my mind! I would highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys a good mystery; the fast-paced action and dialogue, coupled with the intrigue of Swedish history and politics, makes for an amazing trilogy. 5/5. :classic:

I'm reading On Stranger Tides - Tim Powers, The new Pirates of the Caribbean movie is being based of it. Good read.

I'm reading On Stranger Tides - Tim Powers, The new Pirates of the Caribbean movie is being based of it. Good read.

Interesting. I read a book of his at the start of the year (The Anubis Gates) and really enjoyed it. Maybe I should look into him more.

Huh, interesting- i remember a Megablox set that had the movie title 'Dead Men Tell No Tales.' There was just the one set in it, but it was strange.

Huh, interesting- i remember a Megablox set that had the movie title 'Dead Men Tell No Tales.' There was just the one set in it, but it was strange.

Eh?

The new Pirates of the Caribbean movie coming out in 2011 is called "On Stranger Tides".

Eh?

The new Pirates of the Caribbean movie coming out in 2011 is called "On Stranger Tides".

I know- and I saw this a few years ago. It didn't sell very good from what I saw though.

Edited by The Legonater

Hail, friends!

I'm now reading Bernard Cornwell again. Last week I finished the Last Kingdom, and I just started the Pale Horseman. These books belong to un unamed series, but they are wuite good as one might expect. They are not as "hardcore" as The Warlord series, but very good nevertheless. Well, it's Cornwell, so you know what I mean. :thumbup:

The Robin Hood trilogy of Hood, Scarlet, and Tuck, by Stephen Lawhead. And Harry Potter, or course :grin: . Do we have any readers of Harry Potter fanfics here?

Siruis