Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Creature from the Black Lagoon Vignette

Great work TB! I like the colour gradation in the underwater section and the tangling seaweed looks great. What mystical treasure lies inside that 1x2 LEGO brick? :oh:

That looks great!!! I also like the way you've used the colour to emphasise the sense of depth... nice work!!

Nice job, The Brickster! :thumbup: Love how you've created the illusion of muddy water and the parts choice for the monster :wink:

AWESOME just AWESOME 'The Brickster' - COOL creature ! :grin:

Great MOC design again and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Wow Brickster, way to set the mood. A great creation, I love the weedsand creature as well as the photoshopping to really lift the whole scene into movie poster form.

Could this be the start of a Brickster Lego classic movie poster series? :thumbup:

Really cool MOC, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

You definitely manage to give the impression of a dark, mysterious water with the trailing seaweeds and the dark colours. It looks nice with the rubber boat with the diver on top, not yet aware of what danger dwells beneath it...

Great work!

Excellent moc TheBrickster.

I like that the colors get darker the deeper it gets.

Nice job using Killer Kroc as the monster.

LegoGalactus

Excellent vignette you've created - it looks so legit as a poster for the movie... but in LEGO form :laugh:

I particularly love all the underwater details, it looks fantastic.

I'm also getting those strong Jaws vibes from this, though if I remember correctly, Spielberg's work on Jaws was greatly influenced by Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Thanks for the comments all. I appreciating you taking the time to provide the positive feedback - and thanks again for the front-page Svelte. :classic:

ABOUT the MOVIE

This was an enjoyable build, especially after picking up the classic tin movie poster. I just purchased the DVD (Legacy collection) that includes two sequels to the 1954 movie (also in black and white). I think the original movie is a real classic, and what's interesting is that it was never remade unlike so many other Hollywood/Universal monster movies back in the day. I understand that there is a remake planned for 2011 and I'm looking forwarding to seeing it.

ABOUT the MOC

In regard to this creation, the only thing I was not able to include was a female minifig in a swimsuit which would have been a nice addition. I guess you can say that she was replaced with the monkey (budgeted production costs and all :laugh: ). The 1x2 LEGO brick is the real treasure in the scene and comes from set 730 Steam Shovel, my oldest intact set. I thought I would place it near the chest as one additional treasure for the divers. It's among my personal favorite piece, although I must admit that I don't know how rare these printed bricks are. The "Lego Black Lagoon" wording on the base is a custom decal.

ABOUT the LIGHT

There is a classic LEGO light brick set at an angle to shine down on the monster (although hard to see in the picture). The light isn't that bright, but I think it is a neat feature. All pieces (including the raft) are stuck to the vignette making it possible to hold the creation upside down without any pieces falling off.

Thanks again for the feedback and I may share a few more images if anyone would like to see them.