Sign in to follow this  
Svelte

LEGO Prince of Persia Month - the Eurobricks Contest

Prince of Persia

The Eurobricks Exclusive Contest

4521869579_7da12b504d.jpg

(Click on the pic for larger version)

Prince of Persia month is here! To celebrate the launch of the movie in late May, and the amazing LEGO theme it has brought us, Eurobricks is hosting an exciting contest with something for everyone. Check out the full details below. And did I mention that major prizes are being donated by the LEGO Group?:oh: Your time starts now! Entries close Monday 17 May - post all contest-related questions in this thread :sweet:

Category 1 - Expand the Theme

Prince of Persia has one of the smallest lines ever produced - only 5 sets. Expand the official universe by creating your own version of a LEGO Prince of Persia set. It could be a building, battle-scene, vehicle, or whatever you can imagine, and range in size from a chariot to a full UCS-style temple. It could reflect scenes from the movie or video game series, but doesn’t necessarily need to. It should look like a set that LEGO might actually produce.

• No minimum or maximum part or minifig limit
  • Entry should include the name of your creation, and a 1-paragraph description written in the style of a Shop @ Home blurb
  • You do not need to use any official Prince of Persia parts or figs to enter. See the full list of rules below
  • Post your entries in the Category 1 entry topic located here

First Prize: 7573 Battle of Alamut, kindly donated by The LEGO Group and shipped courtesy of the Eurobricks staff.

Second Prize: To Be Confirmed (TBC)

Category 2 – The Persian Version aka The Persian-ify

Could you make a desert oasis from a Belville set? Or a sacred temple from a modular building? How about a mechanical chariot from a Technic bulldozer, or caravanserai from an Emerald Night? Put your skills to the test by Persian-ifying a set from an existing LEGO theme. You don’t even have to use parts from the original set, but you can if you wish. The aim is to produce a Persian-spirited version of an existing set, populated with minifigs and details which might occupy the POP-verse.

• No minimum or maximum part or minifig limit
  • Entry should include the name of your creation, a 1 paragraph description of your set’s Persian-specific features, and a link to the Brickset reference page of the original
  • You do not need to use any official Prince of Persia parts or figs to enter. See the full list of rules below.
  • Post your entries in the Category 2 entry topic located here

First Prize: 7571 Fight for the Dagger, kindly donated by The LEGO Group and shipped courtesy of the Eurobricks staff.

Category 3 - BAM (Build a Market Stall)

The Alamut bazaar is a bustling hub of commerce – but that merchant seems lonely with just an apple cart and a camel for a customer! Create an add-on to the official 7571 Fight for the Dagger set by designing your own unique small-sized Market Stall! It can be in any style you wish and sell any product!

• 250 pieces maximum, not including minifigs
  • Any minifig accessory held in a fig’s hands or worn on its body does not add to the part count; any fig accessory or part not used on a fig does count (eg if a merchant was holding an apple, it wouldn’t count, but it would if it was sitting in a bowl as part of the stall display)
  • Entry should include the name of your creation
  • You do not need to use any official Prince of Persia parts or figs to enter. See the full list of rules below
  • Post your entries in the Category 3 entry topic located here

First Prize: 7570 Ostrich Race, kindly donated by The LEGO Group and shipped courtesy of the Eurobricks staff.

RULES APPLYING TO ALL CATEGORIES

The contest will run from now until midnight May 17 2010, GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)!

1. You may continually modify and update your entries and entry posts right up until the deadline
  2. One entry per category per member and no recycling of old creations
  3. Custom decals and non-LEGO string and cloth/canvas/paper are allowed. Third party commercial parts (e.g. Brickarms, Brickforge) and customised minifig parts are not allowed.
  4. No clone brands or digital entries
  5. No minifig limit
  6. Post 3 pictures in the relevant contest entry threads (maximum size 800x600). See the Tutorials Index for help with resizing images and deeplinking.
  7. Judging will take place by a public vote. New members joining after April 16 are eligible to enter, but only members who joined before April 16 will be eligible to vote.
  8. The word of the staff is final. They may have their own secret special prize to be awarded in each category on their unknowable and capricious whims. Anyone asking questions about the secret staff prize will be automatically disqualified. Seriously, don't even mention it :wink:
  9. Have fun!

Oh wow, Nice Contest! I absolutely need to buy some PoP sets! :thumbup:

And it is nice to see that the biggest price is in the coolest category! :wub:

Edited by Skalldyr

I enter to join, but I don`t have any PoP sets yet. :hmpf_bad: So I guess I`ll be going to the Lego store soon....................

Edited by General Redwater

I enter to join, but I don`t have any PoP sets yet. :hmpf_bad: So I guess I`ll be going to the Lego store soon....................

REPEAT AND RINSE: You do *not* need any official PoP sets, parts or minifigs to enter. Use an Adventurers fig. Or an Indy villain. Or a re-dressed Agents fig. The only limit is your imagination!

So many contests I need to enter!

This is a great looking contest, Svelte! Be sure to look out for at least one entry from me.

Sounds great guys!

So if Svelte is running this contest does that mean we wont have to go up against the MOCing giant in the contests? :tongue:

Now this sounds like a challenge! I have no idea about Prince of Persia - I only know it's a new Lego theme..

Okay, I know that it was a computer game and it will be a film, but I don't have a game computer... so I'll have to get my inspiration from somewhere.

If anybody knows a good resource for images (screenshots from film or videogames?) let me know! I'll start with a Google image search... something is bound to come up.

edit: Hey look, 112 screenshots!

Edited by eti

Now this sounds like a challenge! I have no idea about Prince of Persia - I only know it's a new Lego theme..

Okay, I know that it was a computer game and it will be a film, but I don't have a game computer... so I'll have to get my inspiration from somewhere.

If anybody knows a good resource for images (screenshots from film or videogames?) let me know! I'll start with a Google image search... something is bound to come up.

Check out the trailer - it has lots of reference pics.

Honestly though, you are not bound by the movie or video game - anything Middle Eastern in flavour will do.

What a great contest!

I think I might hold off of buying any of the bigger PoP sets, just in case I'd happen to win a prize... (as unlikely as it is with this bunch of talents.) :wink:

I already have a great idea for the second category, but of course I'll keep it a secret so none you will steal it. :tongue: I'm thinking about participating in all three categories, but I'll just have to see what I'll get done. A month is not a very long time to build something, after all.

Anyway, it's wonderful to see some full-on theme action in EB for a while! It's been quite a while since the last theme month, I must say...

Wow, what a great contest! Such cool categories and such neat prizes! How did you ever get TLG to sponsor a contest? :wacko:

I'll definitely try to enter all categories. This is gonna be fun! Just one question: For the first category, does it need to be based on the movie "Sands of Time" or could it be based on any of the games too, including sequels?

Wow, what a great contest! Such cool categories and such neat prizes! How did you ever get TLG to sponsor a contest? :wacko:

I'll definitely try to enter all categories. This is gonna be fun! Just one question: For the first category, does it need to be based on the movie "Sands of Time" or could it be based on any of the games too, including sequels?

It could be based on any of the games or the movie, as long as it *looks* like it could be an official set.

This doesn't mean that you would have to use a Dastan fig, however. You can use any parts to represent whatever characters you wish, whether they are official characters or your own creation.

And just because it is Licensed doesn't even mean you need to use fleshies - yellow figs are perfectly acceptable.

Sounds great guys!

So if Svelte is running this contest does that mean we wont have to go up against the MOCing giant in the contests? :tongue:

Staff don't enter contests - they usually have their own category :wink:

Oh yeah that's right, I hadn't seen the part that it did not have to reflect the movie or video games.

Though it would not really be a PoP set if it's just a generic ancient Eastern building, I guess.

Which category(ies) do your two PoP MOCs go into, Svelte? Or would they not fit in at all?

They don't fit, really. They're just eye-candy :laugh:

Well, that's not quite true. I would classify the Alamut Gate as a Category 1 UCS-style Persia set, and I would explain that in my short paragraph.

It will be up to the public vote to see how well members think entrants have conformed to the category rules.

Though it would not really be a PoP set if it's just a generic ancient Eastern building, I guess.

It could be... as I just said, you could enter it as a UCS style set... or throw in a few bandits and a play feature - then it could certainly fit in Category 1.

Wow, this is great! :oh::thumbup:

I have no idea how I will be able to find the time to enter all the categories but somehow I will make it! :sweet:

Thanks for holding this contest, dear staff! And thanks to TLG for the prizes, you really know how to take care of your fans!

Awesome! Can't wait to get to the store to buy some PoP sets. (Just to get the feel of Middle-Eastern architect in Lego form) I love all three of the categories, great job making them!

I just can't believe we got prizes donated from TLG, this must be an EPIC contest!