broomhandle

RC track Crossing

traintech1.jpg

Has anybody cut up 2 RC straights and made a crossing? i think i could do it but the straights are like gold. bricklink has them at 2.50-3.00 USD a piece.

I believe he was referring to a crossing track, not a level crossing.

9 volt had a crossing track but RC did not.

I believe he was referring to a crossing track, not a level crossing.

9 volt had a crossing track but RC did not.

yes, just like the 9vlt but for RC. a dremel and 2 tracks can do it. but i dont want to test with what small amount of straights i have.

Maybe I'm missing something here.... Why not use the 9V crossing? It'll fit and RC trains will run on it. The only thing is the shiny metal but I'm sure that's easily removed...

Maybe I'm missing something here.... Why not use the 9V crossing? It'll fit and RC trains will run on it. The only thing is the shiny metal but I'm sure that's easily removed...

yeah, i thought that 1st. but those things are expensive as well. more than 2 straights. i do have a few 9v tracks anyways.

ill have to rethink. its a 9v comes around cheap ill grab it. here is a pic for people to think about. somebody has to have cut up 2 RC's.

post-9661-1271437866.jpg

Perhaps this would be of help. It tells how to modify two 9V tracks into a crossover, but you can do the exact same thing with the RC track (just you don't have to worry about wiring).

Perhaps this would be of help. It tells how to modify two 9V tracks into a crossover, but you can do the exact same thing with the RC track (just you don't have to worry about wiring).

Nice tip I have the same problem! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

nice. i was not to worried about doing it, just wondering if somebody has. but this helps to show that it has been done. dang the straights are like $3.00 and a curve is $0.30 thru BL.... go figure.

thanks guys...

Edited by broomhandle

I was a bit reluctant to cut up some straights but then i saw some cool layouts that used the crossover so i had to make one. I did it a bit different than the tutorial but the final result was how i wanted it. Works great with 9V.

crossover.jpg

Mike

I was a bit reluctant to cut up some straights but then i saw some cool layouts that used the crossover so i had to make one. I did it a bit different than the tutorial but the final result was how i wanted it. Works great with 9V.

crossover.jpg

Mike

Great work! This looks almost like the original crossing. :thumbup:

One thing I don't get though: I got a 'normal' 9V crossing off ebay two days ago which costs me 7€ incl. shipping.

Why should I even bother producing my own crossings? :wacko:

Great work! This looks almost like the original crossing. :thumbup:

One thing I don't get though: I got a 'normal' 9V crossing off ebay two days ago which costs me 7€ incl. shipping.

Why should I even bother producing my own crossings? :wacko:

Maybe the crossings are more expensive where "they" live. Or maybe it's not available at all.

In that case, some home-engineering would be cheaper, assuming you have the straights to spare.

Maybe the crossings are more expensive where "they" live. Or maybe it's not available at all.

In that case, some home-engineering would be cheaper, assuming you have the straights to spare.

Yep, thats the reason. I have never seen a 9V crossing for sale on the NZ auction site, and to get things sent from overseas costs quite a bit. So i bought a few boxes of RC track at $20NZD each, i do not count the curved track in the cost as i have way too much. So thats $5NZD for 2 straights or about 2.50 Euro i think.

Mike