Sign in to follow this  
NewRight

Lexington & Concord WIP

4521692507_55d15a8f8e.jpg

This is probably one of the largest irregular shaped dios I have ever attempted. It will as the title says be of the Lexington & Concord Revolutionary War Battle.

I've got a general idea of what I want the rest to be, but of course I'm very open to suggestions along with critiques. Approx size. 46x68

For the Bayonets at Dawn Contest when it is finished. Thanks to the contest I feel a little more compelled to build pirates! :pir_laugh2: Or at least historically based creations. It feels like I haven't tried anything like this before and I hope for it to be a challenge.

It will as the title says be of the Lexington & Concord Revolutionary War Battle.

I've got a general idea of what I want the rest to be, but of course I'm very open to suggestions along with critiques.

Hmmm... Are ther seperate dios for Lexington and Concord?

The 'battle' of lexington was fought on a forest green. The BATTLE of concord was fought on the edge of the city of concord (I might be mistaken, but is that a bridge you are building? As in the north bridge?)

Anywho, Lexington and Concord seems like a good idea! (though I personnally would've picked one or the other, since they were staged some ways apart)

I'm sure you've read up on this, but I don't see much resemblance to either location so far. Guess I'll just wait and see how things turn out.

Good luck!

:pir_yoda:

Edited by the_green_avenger

I was researching this, and I was going to do the bridge! I hate you! :pir-tongue: Also, the bridge is the North Bridge, where I believe one of the main paarts of the battle of concord took place, if I am not mistaken.

That's a very good start. I can't compete with it :pir-sweet: (if it wasn't only because I want to save money for my Vesta).

Looks like there will be a lot of competition in this contest!

Keep it up!

Hmmm... Are ther seperate dios for Lexington and Concord?

The 'battle' of lexington was fought on a forest green. The BATTLE of concord was fought on the edge of the city of concord (I might be mistaken, but is that a bridge you are building? As in the north bridge?)

Anywho, Lexington and Concord seems like a good idea! (though I personnally would've picked one or the other, since they were staged some ways apart)

I'm sure you've read up on this, but I don't see much resemblance to either location so far. Guess I'll just wait and see how things turn out.

Good luck!

:pir_yoda:

I was going for the edges of the banks with the North Bridge going across it. Yes. Since the battles get grouped together I have decided to group it together for the sake of this post. It will be the Battle of Concord though. I think it has some resemblance to Concord. It will have a little better resemblance with a little more work though I agree.

Its looking good, but are you going to make it out of grey bricks? I was under the impression that the North Bridge was made of wood.

The North Bridge will definitely be made using brown bricks. I also want to have it getting destroyed a little. :pir_laugh2:

I'm thinking that will come last. I may need some inspiration. Here is day 2 of the project.

4524131273_b938c258ce.jpg

More feedback welcome. :pir-classic:

Did you think of doing custom figs?

Definitely an idea. I could do some waterslide figures, but lately I've had bonding troubles. :pir-sceptic:

I thought the imperial redcoats did a nice job as stand ins for redcoats, but if they don't looks 'good enough' I could try them. Then the Revolutionaries didn't really have specific 'Uniforms' in the pictures I looked at. This was the essentially the start of the war. They were more of a militia than army. Also the figures you see aren't finalized. I've just been using them for the framing and scale of everything around them. I will also need them on getting the bridge right.

Thanks. :pir-classic:

Here is a photo of day 3. Not a ton of progress, but I was busy uploading my new website to a new server. :pir_laugh2:

4527010006_bb1bab3dc4.jpg

Wow, I can't wait to see the finished version of this.

My advice regarding figs from my own battlefield experience...Go with as many different faces as you can, angry/annoyed/scarred faces would work best. Also, go with a wide variety of poses to keep things interesting. You can also toy with this to add more emotion to the scene (ie: a soldier catching a fallen comrade in his arms). Be sure to add some damage to the scenery, too, like fallen trees, and any buildings should have plenty of pock marks. But I probably don't need to tell you that. :pir-grin:

Looks very good NewRight! You are a fast one as well.

I like the fact you aren't building on a common baseplate, the shapes really stand out here. As well for the different ground layers. :thumbup:

I'm not sure about the large sharp rock in the middle of the river since the surrounding area is quite flat. It looks unnatural. Perhaps it helps to add different slopes instead of these high ones.

Overall it looks quite good already, and I wish you all the best with your entry! :pir-wub:

There is no words for this still, its just fabolous and you have made a huge progress at me

Keep it up, i just cant wait to see it finished

Captain Becker

Thanks. :pir-classic:

Here is a photo of day 3. Not a ton of progress, but I was busy uploading my new website to a new server. :pir_laugh2:

Nice I see the bonfire for the captured guns,and a miltia man running.Very nice.

Wow, I can't wait to see the finished version of this.

My advice regarding figs from my own battlefield experience...Go with as many different faces as you can, angry/annoyed/scarred faces would work best. Also, go with a wide variety of poses to keep things interesting. You can also toy with this to add more emotion to the scene (ie: a soldier catching a fallen comrade in his arms). Be sure to add some damage to the scenery, too, like fallen trees, and any buildings should have plenty of pock marks. But I probably don't need to tell you that. :pir-grin:

I can already garuntee you that every figure I have built so far (which is more than 3/4 of the figs that will be in the dio) are built all with different action faces. Some more mild than other, but all soldier and revolutionary like at that.

Lots of progress today. Shot when I finish working on it for today.

Here's the newest update although it is from a couple day ago. I've taken a brief break, but progress with resume shortly. :pir_laugh2:

4532437820_39159a6075.jpg

Absolutly beutifull Newright!

The attention to detail is amazing!

You're a really talented builder!

Keep up the amazing work!

awesomebrick

Edited by awesomebrick

Oh i love the bridgee :pir-wub: it looks quite big at me, but that makes it lovley. Great updage mate, keep it up, cant wait to see this one finished

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

I really like all that you have done so far! :pir-cry_happy: I was just wondering, did the British really have cannons near the bridge?

Edited by General Redwater