• 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above average
    • 5 - Outstanding

INDEXED

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

6394 Metro Park & Service Tower (1988)

This is me.

slide.jpg

It's a slide of me on my third birthday, unwrapping my biggest gift of the day: the LEGO Metro Park & Service Tower. It was 1990 and little did I know that this set was going to be one of my all-time favorite toys and one of my most re-built and played with LEGO sets ever. It will be in my possession for 20 years next June.

The 1988 Metro Park & Service Tower had been on the shelves for a while, but I was far too young to ask for Lego myself. I had just gotten my first small Lego set from my grandmother (the 1612 Victory Racer promo) and a few Basic sets from my parents. I might have had the post office from one of my earlier reviews at this point as well - I can't quite remember. I don't even remember getting this set. It's just always sort of been here - my ultimate Lego set. It has a building, cars, a motorcycle and lots of possibility for death and destruction, which was very important to me when I reached the 6 to 12 age category.

So this is a very special set to me. It was the first large Lego set I ever got, provided me with more building and playing pleasure than pretty much any other set and it spent many hours as the center of my town and my town stories. To this day, it remains the one set with the largest floorplan (64x32 studs) in my collection.

But it is more than just special to me.

Now that Lego vehicles are six studs wide and made with tyres twice the old size, the small little cars in this set have become more of a representation of the bygone 4-wide era than ever before. The whole parking structure is built around cars this size and while the three passenger cars included in this set weren't the biggest cars available at the time, they usually didn't get much larger than this either. With the average automobile currently being 50% wider and nearly twice as long, it's probably safe to say we won't be seeing a set like this again in the very near future.

6394.jpg

The box, courtesy of BrickLink.

Item #: 6394

Name: Metro Park & Service Tower

Theme: LEGO System / Legoland / Town / Shops and Services

Year: 1988

Pieces: 620

Minifigs: 6

Price: $58.25 / £45.00 / Fl.154,50 (€70.11)

Brickipedia

BrickLink

Brickset

LUGNET

Peeron

PICSL

Release

Released in The Netherlands in May of 1988, this was a flagship set of Town when it first came out. Fitting in with other shops and service sets like the more modest 6378 Service Station and the 6699 Bike Repair Shop it quickly became a centerpiece of citizen life in Lego Town. It stuck around for a while as the largest service set, while other service sets were phased out. Eventually the airport and racer themes took over and 6394 was dropped as well. While many sets from the late eighties have gotten recent updates (6378 became 7993 and 6699 became part of 7641), a modern update of 6394 remains unreleased. And with Lego cars growing considerably in size over the past decade a modern remake seems highly unlikely.

dutchcatalogue.jpg

A two-page image from the Dutch 1988 catalogue, featuring this set as the centerpiece.

The Box

The picture at the very top of this review remains the only picture I have of the box intact. The front has sadly been lost in the destructive force that is our paper waste bin. It probably disappeared in there nearly 20 years ago.

However...

Back in 1988, Lego still spent time and resources on producing alternate models to put on the back of their boxes. Thanks to the large piece count in this set, the alternates are more than just a car base with the wheels removed to turn it into a boat. There's some pretty sweet additional models on here. We've cut up the box and stored the pictures of the alternate models by pasting them on A4-sized sheets of cardboard and putting them in a big folder for safekeeping. Let's have a look.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

Parts & Pieces

At 620 pieces, this is the largest Town set released in 1988 and the third largest released in 1988 entirely (according to Brickset, only 8865 Test Car and 6085 Black Monarch's Castle eclipse it at 900 and 702 pieces, respectively).

It features plenty of white and, being a set featuring Shell, plenty of yellow and red as well. There's also a fair dab of grey and blue, along with some black here and there. Despite owning this set for nearly twenty years, it appears I still missed some pieces in the instructions the first time around. Some small pieces are not included in the image below (they are in the build section), but they are only minor exclusions.

pieces.jpg

A full overview.

There's a great amount of printed pieces and a notably different approach to stickering than we are used to today: only surfaces made up of multiple pieces that are to be covered by some sort of graphic use stickers. Everything else (including all the tiles that would nowadays receive the sticker treatment as well) is printed.

printsandstickers.jpg

The Shell sign in the foreground is three pieces stickered together on both sides. Everything else is printed.

Not feeling like stickering some plates together, the stickers featuring word 'Shell' that go on the edge of the service station's roof were omitted and the only parts stickered together in my set are two 1x3 bricks and a 1x3 plate that make up the Shell logo sign - a vast improvement over the blank sign at the top of my Post Station.

Other pieces of interest in this set include the minifig motorcycle, the large assortment of car parts, the car wash brushes and the jack. Also included for good measure: some flowers and a nice small tree.

bikeandtoolsautocolor.jpg

The minifig bike and accessories.

carparts.jpg

A fair pile of car parts!

carwashparts.jpg

6394 was the first set ever to include car wash parts.

plantlife.jpg

No classic Town set is complete without some lovely flowers.

Instructions

My battered instructions manual is another testament of times gone by. Printed in a 16-page, easy to store A4-sized booklet, building the main model takes only 15 steps. The front of the instructions features an overview of the set as seen on the box's front, as well as some of the set's main features: the alternate configuration achieved by hinging the entire model and the working car elevator.

instructionsfront.jpg

The booklet may have seen better days, but it is nearly twenty years old, you know.

instructionsinside1.jpg

There's no separate booklet for each and every car. Rather, all small models are on the first two pages.

instructionsinside2.jpg

As was custom at the time, the first step also features a top view of the floor plan.

instructionsinside3.jpg

Submodels do not receive their own page.

These instructions go through the model swiftly and economically. Each step adds a single layer all around the model. If you grew up on the more recent instructions, you might actually find this a more difficult build than you're used to. There's a fair amount of pieces added with every step, they're added all over the model and if there's a submodel included in a step, there will be other pieces you need to add along with it (as you can see in steps 9 and 10 above).

Compare this to the instructions of the similarly themed 7993 Service Station from 2007 (most importantly parts 2 and 3) and you'll quickly spot the difference. 6394 adds a layer across the entire 64x32 floor plan with each step, whereas 7993 will have you built the little shop first, then the car wash, then the gas pumps and so on and so forth.

There's also a perspective mistake in the instructions that can be quite confusing.

In step 7, you're supposed to add a white 1x1 brick in line with the grey 1x2 plate. It should partially obscure the 1x2 plate from the angle the model is seen in the instructions. Instead, the brick appears a bit to the side, appearing to float in an illogical position.

step7detail.jpg

How it appears in the instructions...

step7correct.jpg

...and what it should really look like.

You'll figure this out quickly enough as you move to the next step, where you'll need the brick for support, but it can be a bit confusing at first.

This, along with the amount of bricks and wide area in which they are added in each step, adds to the relative difficulty of building the model.

Having grown up with this though, I can tell you that once you've built this yourself a few times as a kid, you're pretty much ready for anything a Town set instructions manual can throw at you.

You can see the complete instructions manual at PICSL.

Minifigs

Featuring six identical faces, the minifigs in this set are defined by their torsos. Four of these nice folk are customers, one of which drives a motorcycle. The other two are the Shell shop clerk and mechanic. I'm sure you can guess who is who.

minifigs.jpg

The drivers' torso color will eventually match their car as well. There is no back printing.

The Build

Vehicles

With no less than five separate vehicles included in this set, we start off with some nice small builds to get us going. First up is the Shell service truck. It's a bit bigger than the other cars and follows quite a different building pattern. Its main base is an 8x2x1&1/3 bracket. It will disappear almost entirely into the body of the car.

truckpip.jpg

The build expands upon this start by adding some pieces like mudguards below the bracket. Notice the yellow covering the entire bottom of the vehicle.

Soon enough, we finish our first vehicle: a rough pickup service truck for the Shell mechanic. The printed doors are lovely and notice the yellow-red-white color pattern: it's the same as that of the tower itself and the overall Shell color scheme.

shelltruckwithdriver.jpg

Ready for servicing!

The motorbike is next and there's not much added other than a stand, a headlight and a taillight, but just having these lights adds a lot to the model.

bike.jpg

The set's second model completed.

The three small cars included all follow the same basic building pattern: starting with a 7x4x2/3 car base, there's a one-plate layer added before mudguards and brackets, doors etc. turn it into a neat little car. The three cars differ pretty much only in color and roof type.

bluecarpip.jpg

Simple beginnings with some car parts added...

bluecarfinished.jpg

...leads to a lovely little coupé.

There's a coupé-type car for Mr. Blue, a fancy multi-colored car with a deluxe sunroof for our well-dressed Grey Pants Man and a simple red car with a white roof for our lady driver.

topgearshot2.jpg

"Tonight on Top Gear... James May still refuses to get a haircut... and ends up looking like a girl!"

All this makes up for a nice little array of cars to not only park in your Park & Service Tower, but send driving around your city as well. Excellent!

The Metro Park & Service Tower

The tower itself is quite a fun build. Like many models of its day, we start by laying out a simple floor plan, except here we are immediately thrown a lovely pillar to construct. It introduces a very nice building technique that allows for all the printed 2x2 tiles to be put up against the walls like signposts on a building. I really like this touch. All the signage adds a lot to the model.

technique.jpg

Two 1x1 headlight bricks put on their side will allow you to add parts at a 90 degree angle. A simple 1x2 plate will close the gap so you can add the next layer on top.

floorplanwithpillar.jpg

Step 1...

As mentioned, unlike modern builds, each step adds a layer across the entire model. Only a few localized subbuilds are done in different steps, but otherwise there's no focusing on just one corner of the building before moving on to the next. As such, you'll have to make sure you take your time and scan the entire image for each step. The best way to do this is just go from left to right through each image.

That being said, the first stage of the build immediately brings us one of the model's main features: the car wash.

carwashbrushes.jpg

The vertical brushes go up first.

One interesting thing about building the car wash is that the car wash's top part starts as an upside-down build. This can be a little confusing, so you'll have to pay attention here. If you screw up, you find out soon enough though, since there's really only one way it fits.

carwashtop.jpg

According to the instructions, all of this has to be built upside down. Confusing!

The next step also reveals an interesting technique for the operation of the car wash: rather than using a rubber band, two genuine LEGO hoses are used to push the brushes back into place once a car has gone through. It works wonderfully well.

hoses.jpg

It's also at this point that our last minifig gets put into place: the Shell lady starts work early and simply has her shop built around her. Convenient!

From here on, the parking structure pretty much repeats its first stages for the top floor and we start to build more of the gas station.

secondpillar.jpg

Another pillar adds some more signage to the garage exterior.

As the shop nears completion, the first of the gas station's details are coming into place: a brush, a water sprayer, spare tires and, um... something featuring a hose and printed buttons.

firstfeatures.jpg

The gas pump soon follows.

gaspump.jpg

Don't you just love those printed pieces?

Next, we get to what is probably the set's biggest feature: the elevator that will raise the cars to the desired levels to be parked. Made of a big blue plate with some smaller bits and a neat red/white panel combo, it fits the small cars perfectly.

elevatorplatform.jpg

The plates running across the platform fit snugly between the wheels, keeping the small cars in place as the platform moves.

A rack/winder combo will allow you to move the platform up and down by turning the knob on the winder (truthfully, though, once your fingers get bigger than those of a 10-year-old, just pushing the thing up and down becomes a whole lot easier).

elevator.jpg

The last large submodel is the gas station's roof. It, too, is built entirely upside down!

roof.jpg

Another upside down submodel

roofadded.jpg

The roof fits snugly into place.

With the roof in place, we're ready to put in the final details, like this little Shell-sponsored vacuum cleaner on the path to the car wash.

vacuum.jpg

We end with putting in lamp posts, the workshop's jack, flowers and a lovely little tree. The Shell signpost is three parts stickered together.

towerfinished.jpg

There's not a lot of complex building techniques in this model, but because of the many parts added in each step and several submodels built upside down, it can be a bit more challenging than your average City build. Still, it's great fun seeing this parking structure come together and have all the details added bit by bit.

finished.jpg

All done!

When all the bits and pieces have been put in place, the Metro Park & Service Tower is ready to receive a prominent place in the center of your town. It's great to have such a large set that is all geared towards servicing the citizens of Legoland. Having it in the vicinity of your shops can lend your whole setup some added scale.

The set also comes with a very nice extra feature:

hinged.jpg

It hinges. This allows you to place the set in your town in an alternate configuration and can turn your car wash into a drive-through service port.

hingedparking.jpg

hingedgasstation.jpg

Of course you can always replace the hinge bricks by some simple 2x1 bricks and separate the two parts entirely, but for review purposes we're judging the unmodified set. And adding the hinges is a very nice touch indeed and one that gives the builder some extra freedom in how to place the finished model in a larger setup.

Of course it could also be used to simulate earthquakes. The choice is up to you.

Speaking of earthquakes, the 1x2x5 bricks serve their purpose very well in holding up the parking structure, but can also be easily pulled out from under the building. As a wee lad I always enjoyed causing death and destruction in this way. For your viewing pleasure, I include a demonstration:

destruction1.jpg

A pillar on the ground floor buckles...

destruction2.jpg

...the weight of the structure presses down on empty space...

destruction3.jpg

Bang! Crash! Kablammo!

All this was only amplified when I used to put this model across from my airport runway in my town setup. More than once a plane would come in too fast, skid off the runway, slide into the Metro Park & Service Tower and cause the whole thing to explode in a brilliant display of flying Lego pieces. Ah, the good old days.

Leaving all the Thunderbirds-inspired demolition mayhem aside for a moment, the intact model offers plenty of play features as well.

carwashed.jpg

Customers can go through the electric car wash. Some red lights inform drivers the car wash is a one-way street.

vertigo.jpg

The height of the building can be dizzying for some. Notice the lovely printed tiles added as signage.

carrepairclose.jpg

The resident mechanic repairs a customer's car...

smooth.jpg

...while the driver chats up to the Shell shop lady.

Then of course there's the elevator, the gas pumps, the vacuum cleaner, etc. etc. Plenty to do on site, and plenty vehicles included to drive across your town.

Scale difference and integration into a modern City town

Now you may have noticed that this model is all based on simple 4-wide vehicles. This was the common standard for many years in Lego Town and it's a standard that this model handles very well. The parking tower is a sizable structure, but not one that balloons out of proportion and becomes a towering behemoth. There's always been some scale cheating in Lego Town and it's perfectly fine the vehicle doors can't open when the cars are parked close together. It all fits together quite nicely.

But when it comes to putting this model in a town made up of more recent City sets, you might run into a slight scale difference.

You take a car like the 4WD from 7635 and it simply doesn't fit. Obviously, you can't place it on the lift and it can only just clear the roof of the parking structure.

scaleissue1.jpg

And quite frankly, this just looks silly:

scaleissue2.jpg

Fortunately, Lego released their Small Car this year that goes back to the 4-wide scale and fits in perfectly with the cars in this set.

smallcarcomparison.jpg

It matches the other cars...

smallcar.jpg

...fits on the elevator...

smallcarparked.jpg

...and makes for one happy driver!

We know two more of these are coming in August, included in the new cargo train set, so it's nice to see Lego acknowledging the old standard and offering some vehicles in this size. But this is not the standard size for Lego cars these days and we must accept that the scale of 6394 is one of a bygone era. It's a bittersweet idea. It can make the set look a little out of place when put in a modern town setup, but it also makes it a true testament of days gone by, a unique set in that it fits everything we know and love from the classic Town era and that a modern remake, due to the sheer size needed to fit modern cars, is highly unlikely.

This, along with the many hours of great playtime I've had with this set, is why 6394 will always have a special place in my town and in my heart.

See all images made for this review at Brickshelf (browser-friendly sizes here).

The Final Tally

Design: 7/10 Fitting in wonderfully with the designs of the era, the scale difference might be a bit of a problem when putting the model in a modern setup. Still, it features simple, but serviceable cars, a lovely signage technique and a sturdy, functional building.

Parts: 9/10 A great amount of car parts, a huge assortment of printed tiles, plenty of bars, 1x2x5 bricks, a car wash and a rack winder. Great set for parts.

Minifigs: 8/10 Figures for all vehicles and one for the shop. Pedestrians are not included, but would also be unnecessary. Six minifigs is a fair number and if you're nostalgic, you'll get a kick out of the classic faces, striped shirts and "S" racer logo. Also, there's a Shell torso, which is pretty uncommon.

Build: 9/10 Challenging, due to the difficult instructions, but good fun. I must have built this model a hundred times at least and I still can't get tired of it. It may not be a build on the level of a set like Green Grocer or Café Corner, but the simple fact that I still enjoy the construction after all these years warrants a high mark.

Playability: 8/10 There may not be a million moving parts on the set, but with five vehicles included, there's already plenty of play options. It is a set, however, that has its playability improved when put into a larger context. Because let's face it, parking cars isn't all that exciting. But driving your cars all around your town and then parking them at the Metro Park & Service Tower is.

Price: 7/10 This set had an original retail price of 154.50 Dutch Guilders, the equivalent of 70.10 Euros (not adjusted for inflation). It's hard to judge this twenty years later, but when looking at the 1988 catalogue it appears this set really towered over the rest in terms of price. I wouldn't have minded if they'd taken off a few Guilders. Luckily, my parents bought my Lego back then.

Overall: 8.0/10 (average) On average we get a very decent 8/10. But when I look at this set, I am inclined to give it a 9/10 at least. Call me biased, but I have very fond memories of it and I know how great it looks in a town setup. There have been plenty of gas stations available throughout the years, but there is only one parking garage and this is it. It's unique, it's classic... it's awesome.

I know you've put a lot of work into this review, and it shows. This is a fantastic review for an incredible set!

This set is so full of joy. There are so many details to take in and things to play around with. This is truly one of those definitive all-time classic Town sets. :grin:

Thanks for a beautiful review, from a golden age of history when car parks were considered exciting! :laugh: I doubt the kids that grew up with this set feel the same way about parking stations today.

I can't say this set has ever been on my radar, but what I like most is the logical, ordered way that this set functions, like it's 'real world' counterpart - something that often seems lacking in newer sets. I wonder if this is a side-effect of the modularity you mention, where the emphasis is on specific functions rather than an overall cohesive model?

The nostalgia shot is wonderful - look at the expression of awe on your younger self :oh: It's a shame that jack piece is no longer in production.

Great review! :sweet:

I think I have a new favourite review. :wub:

I love the old photo of you, and your analysis of the set and the old scale is an appropriate touch. The 4x4 on the roof looks hilarious, as does your child-play re-construction. I used to really want this set as a kid, and I still want it now. (I could build something similar today, but I'd need to substitute the lift.)

Thanks for sharing!

and, um... something featuring a hose and printed buttons.

Tire pump?

Absolutely amazing review, Rapseflaps!

Since I wasn't alive when this set was released, I obviously didn't get it then. A few years ago, I was looking at LEGO on ebay, and came across this set. I knew I had to have it. I saved up my money, and bought. Boy was I ever happy! I built it right away, and still have it standing on my LEGO desk as we speak.

And I'm not alone. I've posted shots of my WIPs in the past, and on many people have put notes on the Metro Park and Service Tower saying how it was their favourite part of the picture!

I think this is one of LEGO Town's greatest sets; thank you for sharing this review with us.

Thank you for the review. It's great trip back to the days of 4 wide.

I'am a fan of the classic town Shell servo's - being a former owner of a 377 from 1978 !

Great indepth review 'Rapseflaps' - AWESOME details Lego included in this set and it's about time an up to date car park with service station is released.

The 4 wide cars take me right back to my 377 (I want one again) plus the fuel pumps are cool and in a way better than the 7993 ones in some respects of looking more like real ones that still even stand out of the front of most servo's I go to these days.

That lift idea - SWEET - love it ! :wub:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Thanks, Rapseflaps - superb review !

One of my biggest pleasures since emerging from my Lego dark ages is to rediscover the sets from my youth, so your review was particularly enjoyable. I only have the boxes from a couple of my childhood sets - most have been long lost after more than 3 decades. So some of my favourite eBay purchases have been these older sets with their original boxes and instructions.

Anyway, nice job, and a cool set.

Dr. D.

Such a brilliant review of an epic classic town set. And an excellent idea for TLG to revive and bring up to today's City scale. The 6-wide comparison shots are hilarious. :laugh:

When I saw this in the catalogs, I was always wondering how the cars would move about on each of the floors. I could see a maximum of 2 cars per floor being realistically parked and then you could wonder about the need for a parking tower in the first place. What's that? Lego isn't supposed to be realistic? In that case: excellent set.

And congratulations on your gold medal. Well-deserved!

Tire pump?

You know in twenty years, I've never once thought of that. That's what it must be. Excellent.

:cry_happy: *Happy memories* :cry_happy:

Finally a review of this wonderful set!

It was one of the centerpieces of my Lego town :wub:

Thanks a lot Rapseflaps for this :thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup: review of a :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: set

Great review, Rapseflaps! I love the simple charm of the older sets, with all the classic smiley faces. And while I'm not adverse to the Octan logo and colour scheme, I kinda miss the Shell references. And thank you for sharing that lovely photo. What a cute little boy! Okay, I'm going to bliss out now... :wub:

Great review man-- there's a lot of great sets out there we've purchased as AFOLs, but there's no matching the attachment and history of a set you've received and enjoyed as a kid. The words Galaxy Explorer and Motorcycle Shop instantly come to mind for me...

As an adult, I'm torn with the concept of Classic Town... There's something so simple and quaint and perfect about those little cars with all the studs on top, but at the same time I must admit if today's CITY line still looked like the classics, I doubt I'd have ever gotten into it in the first place. I'm relatively new to the City line but if not for the heightened design standards and SNOT compositions I'd probably still be sailing the high seas or in a galaxy far far away.

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

Brilliant review of one of my all-time favourite sets. Well done!

P.S Who's the jerk that scored a 1 in the votes??

Great review of a set that I wish I had been able to get as a child. I had the smaller Shell Service Station and always lusted after the 'big city' Metro Park Service Tower. :tongue: I also loved the comparison between the older and newer LEGO vehicles. It's amazing how much of a difference 4-wide to 6-wide makes. I'll be staying with 4-wide on my layout and I am glad that LEGO is putting out some more 4-wide vehicles this year for us Classic Town fans.

Again, great review and thanks for putting this together!

-Davey

Really fun review! I enjoyed the nostalgia, as well as the comparison between modern and classic designs.

Man, I wish Lego still included road plates in their town sets. Other than the 7993 Service Station in '07, what other town sets in recent years have included road plates?? I can't think of any off the top of the my head.

great review! This is my favorite Lego town set from my childhood and the biggest one too! I often come across those titles with tools prints when going through my title collection it always brings back memories how high it was for that time.

I think if it would be updated to modern 6-wide standard the parkinggarage alone would need 2 32x32 baseplates. I imagine the lift could be Power Functions powered. That would be so cool.

Truly an epic review. It really shows how much you like that set.

It may not fit in with the modern standards, but judging from what I can see from your review, it is still a great set to base a Lego collection on.

Thanks also for the Thunderbirds and Top Gear references, that made my day. :laugh:

Edited by Commander_Rob

Also one of my favourite childhood set. I got this one as my usual Christmas big lego boxe and played hours with it. It is now safely stored in my parent garage.

Rapseflaps, thanks for bringing me back to my childhood days. Although I have never owned this legendary Classic Town set, but I always remembered that when I was a child, I will always look at this small little LEGO catalogs with my small fingers, pointing to my parents to get this mega Shell complex for me, but they always rejected me, because I had the 6378 Shell Service Station.

I always admire the overall design, especially the multi-story car park and the amount of 4-studs wide vehicles inside this set. It's truly amazing, and I really envy you for being able to maintain this Classic Set until now.

Having to see this review finally completed, has certainly made my day bright. Thanks, and congratulations. :thumbup:

This review has been blogged inside Classic-Town.net,

bloggedct.png