Superkalle

Get access to all the hidden bricks in LDD

I just got the new stuff today.

and Already liking what I can do with it!

rocketeer.png

Edited by Superkalle
Moved here, because it did not warrant a separate topic

*snap problem*

EDIT: Sigh, I decided to try one more thing and it worked (turned out I went to "HD" -> "Library" instead of getting to "Library" through "user"... I removed my problem :)

Edited by Dream Team

Thanks, Superkalle! I've been enjoying LU mode ever since I found this topic back in my lurking stages! :laugh:

Terrific work, guys! I always had faith in LEGO and their great communication with their customers and fans. LEGO has already demonstrated this many times in the past, but it's great to see that such a large company still has their customers in mind and listens to them on a personal level. :classic: There are very few companies that do that nowadays.

Finally, LEGO Digital Designer has become a useful and practical tool for designing virtual LEGO models. What a great achievement.

On a side note, does anybody think this Universe Theme build mode will be available on the next LDD release or update? Perhaps it will become standard in LDD 4.0 along with some other features we've been suggesting. Here's hoping for a bright future for LDD!

If they will put out those older bricks, they would probably be more expensive then the newer ones. They were discontinued, to make them again would take more money. And where would that more money come from? Figure out that question by yourself. :sadnew:

If they will put out those older bricks, they would probably be more expensive then the newer ones. They were discontinued, to make them again would take more money. And where would that more money come from? Figure out that question by yourself. :sadnew:

He means that he wants it to come standard in the install, not that you be able to buy the models. Like the Creator and Mindstorms modes.

oh ok

oh ok

Hello there jakman 88. I'm not sure I understand either your first question or this last remark. What was it you wanted to say?

Hello there jakman 88. I'm not sure I understand either your first question or this last remark. What was it you wanted to say?

I think he meant to reply to my post, and in the first post since he didn't correct me I assume he meant that he thought that Mr. Lego-builder was suggesting TLG sell the models made in LU mode.

EDIT: Corrected a bad adjective.

Edited by Brickdoctor

He means that he wants it to come standard in the install, not that you be able to buy the models. Like the Creator and Mindstorms modes.

This is correct. Many thanks, Brickdoctor, for clearing this misconception up.

@ jakman 88: Indeed, the ability to order models from Universe mode seems logistically impossible, so I never intended this to be a realistic perspective.

I merely wanted to have the build mode activated upon installation without having the need to edit the default files. Since LDD 4 has already been released since the time of my post you are referring to, it's obvious that LEGO wasn't quite ready to release the Universe mode as a standard. But as I have said before, LEGO's willingness to listen to its consumers and fans may very well mean Universe mode becomes one of the program's priorities (it arguably is already), likewise with the introduction of fan-requested features in LDD 4 (flex tool, search, precise hinge angles, etc.).

Sorry for any misunderstandings, and welcome to the Forum!

If LEGO did make LEGO Universe mode available upon install, they'd have to change the name. After all, the current name would lead kids to believe there was some way it was interactive with the LEGO Universe game, and that could cause all sorts of confusion.

Out of curiosity, by the way, are the LEGO Universe designers still using this version of LDD to design new content for the game? Or was that just an initial design thing? If the game content designers are still involved, that could explain why so many Ninjago parts got included in the upgrade to 4.0, since a Spinjitzu zone was one of the most recent additions (or upcoming additions, anyway-- I don't exactly keep up with LEGO Universe).

Lego Universe has a lot of custom pieces that Lego does not actually produce physically. So I am positive that the LU mode is not directly related to the game. The Lego Universe mode was never used as a development tool that I know of for the game, but instead, was named after the games building mode which was similar to LDD save for the fact that it contained all of the pieces, and had all of the colors. Hence the name Lego Universe mode.

Hope this helps!

~Lalror

Lego Universe has a lot of custom pieces that Lego does not actually produce physically. So I am positive that the LU mode is not directly related to the game. The Lego Universe mode was never used as a development tool that I know of for the game, but instead, was named after the games building mode which was similar to LDD save for the fact that it contained all of the pieces, and had all of the colors. Hence the name Lego Universe mode.

Hope this helps!

~Lalror

I'm not saying LEGO Universe (the game) was entirely designed using LDD LEGO Universe mode, but I'm pretty certain it's confirmed that it was originally published with that name due to being a design tool for the game. Can't find a post that straight-up verifies this, though.

Hope this helps!

~Lalror

This is not entirely true

Lego Universe was developed to allow certain, selected fans to help out build content for LEGO Universe. These fans had to sign a NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) to get access to LU Mode, and hence the information about LU Mode never reached the general fan community. After some time (I'm guessing a year or so), the LDD Development Team, after a lot of concideration, said "OK, why not let the entire fan community get access to the LU Mode". This was done in April 2010.

So this means that yes, LU Mode was developed directly as a way to support game development.

Also, since I don't play the game myself, I'm curios what you mean that not all bricks in Lego Universe have produce physcially - which ones do you mean?

This is not entirely true

Lego Universe was developed to allow certain, selected fans to help out build content for LEGO Universe. These fans had to sign a NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) to get access to LU Mode, and hence the information about LU Mode never reached the general fan community. After some time (I'm guessing a year or so), the LDD Development Team, after a lot of concideration, said "OK, why not let the entire fan community get access to the LU Mode". This was done in April 2010.

So this means that yes, LU Mode was developed directly as a way to support game development.

Also, since I don't play the game myself, I'm curios what you mean that not all bricks in Lego Universe have produce physcially - which ones do you mean?

Well, I know a lot of minifigure parts and equipment in LEGO Universe don't exist in real life or on LDD.

If you take a looks at any of the faction gear, you will see that there are practically no real Lego pieces used.

Also, I remember hearing the devs for Lego Universe mention that they had a program that the LUP's used and that after a day they got the hang of it. It didn't sound like they were talking about LDD, and these pictures don't look like it either.

5566343982_b99955d7a9_b.jpg

5565763587_a787532d6f_b.jpg

5565764021_c04f8e45f7_b.jpg

How so, I remember for mine, the file that I needed to edit was blocked by my computer, so I had to copy that file, edit it, and then delete the other one and replace it with the one that I had copied for it to work. Also, some people have trouble viewing the files. What exactly do you mean by not working?

~Lalror

This does not work for me

This is a forum for AFOLs (Adult fans of LEGO), and as such we ask our members to post as such. You need to be more specific if you have any problems. A "This does not work for me" is not very helpful.

Also, I remember hearing the devs for Lego Universe mention that they had a program that the LUP's used and that after a day they got the hang of it. It didn't sound like they were talking about LDD, and these pictures don't look like it either.

LDD LU Mode is used to build various content. All I know is that certains fans use it (don't know about programmers). After that, the LDD designs are converted to LU graphics format and incorporated in the game. Perhaps the screenshots you show are ones from when models have been moved into the game developers environment?

But I'm stretching my knowledge here, so I better be quiet now :classic:

This is a forum for AFOLs (Adult fans of LEGO), and as such we ask our members to post as such. You need to be more specific if you have any problems. A "This does not work for me" is not very helpful.

There is no LDD folder, there is only a Lego Creations folder. When I type in "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\preferences.in" it says "error, file was not found" Iturned hidden folders, disk and drives on but it still doesnt work.

There is no LDD folder, there is only a Lego Creations folder. When I type in "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\preferences.in" it says "error, file was not found" Iturned hidden folders, disk and drives on but it still doesnt work.

Because unless you named your user 'UserName', you have to replace that with the actual name of your user.

Because unless you named your user 'UserName', you have to replace that with the actual name of your user.

No, my username is "NICKY". :classic: Thank you for trying to help, though.

No, my username is "NICKY". :classic: Thank you for trying to help, though.

Um, yeah, so did you replace 'UserName' with 'Nicky' in the address? If you can't get that to work, just click through. Go to your hard drive © and click the icons as stated by the address. (C->Users->Nicky->AppData....)