Superkalle

Get access to all the hidden bricks in LDD

Well, I'll have to agree with legolintje on this one. A small utility that ads a line to a text-file kind of takes away the point of LU Mode being made specifically for AFOLs (which I hope can follow the simple step-by-step instructions in the first post). But, having said that, it's a free world, so if someone wants to make a utility, by all means go ahead.

Well, I'll have to agree with legolintje on this one. A small utility that ads a line to a text-file kind of takes away the point of LU Mode being made specifically for AFOLs (which I hope can follow the simple step-by-step instructions in the first post). But, having said that, it's a free world, so if someone wants to make a utility, by all means go ahead.

ehm, a bit off topic, but superkalle; everytime you call me as legolIntje, but it is legolIJntje. I just wanted to say.

I say it here because I don't now how to send PM's

Edited by legolijntje

ehm, a bit off topic, but superkalle; everytime you call me as legolIntje, but it is legolIJntje. I just wanted to say.

I say it here because I don't now how to send PM's

Ooops sorry, thanks for pointing out legolijntje. :blush:

PM system can be found in the far top-right corner of the Eurobricks window. It says your username, and there is a small downwards pointing arrow to the right. Click on it and you get a dropdown list. Chose "Messenger".

I just realized something... now that LDD 4.0 has been released, the first post of this topic should probably be updated. The differences in what tools are available in LDD have changed slightly. Also, Lime Green is now available, but another important color-- 297 Warm Gold-- is now missing. There are probably other differences, too, so an update to the first post would probably be helpful to new users of LEGO Universe mode.

I just realized something... now that LDD 4.0 has been released, the first post of this topic should probably be updated.

Thanks for pointing that out. I did some quick updates to make it a bit better.

Hi.

This LDDs Universe mod is great, but i have one problem.

How, or is it even possible to add treads to wheels rims?

Ive tried to create treads to my tanks but problem is that i cannot add them into it.

It would not be problem, if i could buy my creation with treads and install them latesr, but i would like to show that tank with treads.

So is there any way to make treaded tank, that has its treads in their place?

Hi all!

Have been using LDD for a couple of years, mainly as a tool to re-design and update an old Modelteam set, but as of lately I have begun creating all kinds of things simply because "with LDD you can".

Also, I have found it to be a lot cheaper to download instruction manuals and build the models I like without having to buy them! :)

Anyway, I just upgraded to the Lego Universe mod, which is GRAND! (Thanks LDD guys) but I have a couple of questions around them:

- Are "all" bits included or are there still plenty of pieces not in the database?

- Is there anywhere a list of relations between the part numbers (6 or 7 digits) given in the instruction manuals, and the part numbers in LDD Universe (4 or 5 digits)? I keep searching pieces on the first 6/7 digit numbers and keep finding them referenced as 4/5 digit numbers.

Example: missing the piece 4230901 from the Ferrari F1 cars.

Thanks for any help,

Charles

Hi all!

Have been using LDD for a couple of years, mainly as a tool to re-design and update an old Modelteam set, but as of lately I have begun creating all kinds of things simply because "with LDD you can".

Also, I have found it to be a lot cheaper to download instruction manuals and build the models I like without having to buy them! :)

Anyway, I just upgraded to the Lego Universe mod, which is GRAND! (Thanks LDD guys) but I have a couple of questions around them:

- Are "all" bits included or are there still plenty of pieces not in the database?

- Is there anywhere a list of relations between the part numbers (6 or 7 digits) given in the instruction manuals, and the part numbers in LDD Universe (4 or 5 digits)? I keep searching pieces on the first 6/7 digit numbers and keep finding them referenced as 4/5 digit numbers.

Thanks for any help,

Charles

Hi,

welcome at Eurobricks.

Not all pieces are in ldd (read: many pieces).

About the numbers; as far I now you can use the bricklink numbers, but you can also use Superkalle's LDDmanager. That program can convert Bricklnk list into lxf files; that means you have all the (availeble) pieces for your set. You only have to assamble your set.

LDDmanager has also many other functions.

Edited by legolijntje

Hi all!

Thanks for any help,

Charles

Hi Welcome to the LDD Forum

No, not all bricks are included. At the momenthere are about 2000 elements (as LEGO calls them). I would say that in total there are about 4000 elements in the LEGO catalog. However, the 2000 elements that are in LDD are the most important and cover about 99,5% of all recently released LEGO models.

Regarding the relationships, we need to first clarify what the numbers are:

DesignID (e.g. 3001) - the mold/geometry of a part (called ITEMID at BL)

MaterialID(e.g. 5) - the color/material (called ColorID at BL)

ElementID (e.g. 4239601) - a certain DesignID in a certain MaterialID (BrickLink calls this Part Color Code)

What I guess you are refering is if there is any translation between an ElementID and a DesignID. The first method (and easiest to use) is the one at BrickLink.com. Simply enter the ElementID in the search window and it will give you the ITEMID (which is most often identical to the DesignID). Not many people know of this feature, but there you go. PS: You can also download the entire lookup table from BrickLink to store on your local computer.

A second (but much smaller) lookup table is the one that can be extracted from DbM mode in LDD. I'll include that in the next version of LDD Manager (along with the BrickLink one).

Please note that neither of the above lists are complete (but the BL one is the most complete).

A third way, which is 100% complete, but also the slowest, is to write or phone the LEGO customer support and ask they will help you directly from the huge LEGO database of elements.

PS: The Ferrari ElementID you were looking for is 50373

Thanks for the reply; the bricklink.com site should definitely do the trick. I used to be able to search on the 7-digit number in LDD but it seems in LU mode it´s the 4/5 digit number that´s needed instead.

Found the Ferrari bit by looking around a bit more, was not where i expected it but oh well, at least it was in there. Still GRAND to have access to all these bricks.

To me it also seems to be a lot easier and faster to work in LU mode because all bricks are there in a single colour, so instead of browsing through fifteen elements that are all the same, you search all elements in the same group one by one.

A hint for other creators is that I created a new model consisting of a number of 1x1 bricks in various colours. When I work on a model in LDD I simply import this "brick-model" and whenever I need to change colours, I simply choose from this "brick palett" and it saves me a lot of time.

Edited by primitiv

Thanks for the reply; the bricklink.com site should definitely do the trick. I used to be able to search on the 7-digit number in LDD but it seems in LU mode it´s the 4/5 digit number that´s needed instead.

Found the Ferrari bit by looking around a bit more, was not where i expected it but oh well, at least it was in there. Still GRAND to have access to all these bricks.

To me it also seems to be a lot easier and faster to work in LU mode because all bricks are there in a single colour, so instead of browsing through fifteen elements that are all the same, you search all elements in the same group one by one.

A hint for other creators is that I created a new model consisting of a number of 1x1 bricks in various colours. When I work on a model in LDD I simply import this "brick-model" and whenever I need to change colours, I simply choose from this "brick palett" and it saves me a lot of time.

Glad it helped.

PS: About your color hint - it's a good one, and a well known one. Have a look around in the various topics, particularly the pinned ones, and you'll find a lot of more goodies like that :classic:

Latest LDD - where is Universe Mode?

If you installed LDD 4 after unlocking LU in LDD 3, 4 installs its own set of preferences files. Just unlock LU mode again.

Why isn't this thread sticky (pinned)?

Good question.

The first reason is that I want to keep the pinned threads down to a minium. Sometimes pinned threads tend to be read less just because they are pinned.

The second reason is that there is a link to the topic from the Index Thread.

And I guess the third reasons is that people tend to find that thread anyway. :tongue:

But maybe you are right - perhaps it should be pinned. I'll think about it.

EDIT - yes, I'm aware that the "Enable advanced graphics"-topis is pinned, but that's becuase it's current since LDD 4 was released - it will get de-pinned eventually.

If you can't find the preferences.ini, it may be because that folder is hidden.

To view hidden folders, you have to first enable this setting:

ShowHiddenFiles.jpg

how do i get there at windows xp?

how do i get there at windows xp?

Open Windows Explorer and follow this:

Tools --> Folder Options --> View --> Show hidden files.

Okay.. I still haven't gotten this to work.

Here's what I've been doing:

1. I right-click on my LDD shortcut, and go to the 'file location' (which is actually under 'Program files' in my C drive, not under the 'Users/User-name' like you guys said. And I'm pretty sure this computer is Windows 7)

2. I click on 'preferences' to open it in a word processor.

-Note: the only line currently there is 'Language=Eng' or something similar

3. I copy&paste 'Themeaccess=LEGOUniverse' in next to the other line

4. I try to save it.

5. It doesn't work!!!

:(

Edited by JaseTJ

Okay.. I still haven't gotten this to work.

Here's what I've been doing:

1. I right-click on my LDD shortcut, and go to the 'file location' (which is actually under 'Program files' in my C drive, not under the 'Users/User-name' like you guys said. And I'm pretty sure this computer is Windows 7)

That's the wrong preferences file.

The easiest way to get to the right one is to type %appdata% into the Start menu search box (or an Explorer window address bar). That will open an Explorer window to your local preferences, from there open LEGO Company, then Lego Digital Designer. In there you'll find the preferences file you need to edit.

Doing it this way works on all versions of Windows and doesn't require you to mess about with hidden folder settings either.

ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou!!!!!!

It works! And there are SO many more possibilities! Probably a couple thousand times the amount of minifig pieces/prints they had before! Only weird thing is that they all start out red.. a little too much red in one place. (Yes, I know you can change the colors..)

Love the new LDD Universe mode, but I would like to see old retro elements that were produced years ago but have long been discontinued. I know a lot of folks play with MOC's and the like, but a few of us older veterans are still using classic elements from the 60's and 70's.

2x4 axle bricks and the small and large studded red wheels, and the flanged x444 train wheels

2x2 wheel bricks for older Legoland vehicles

Train carriage bases (6x12 and 6x16)

Old 4x12x3 1/3 LEGO Motor

Train motor plates with magnetic couplings

Blue and grey rails

Train battery Tenders

Old 1x2 buffers

White 1x6 with SHELL logo or white 1x2 with the Shell (pectan) logo

Original 1970's minifigs with the non-articulated arms and legs

To name but a few! Is there a way of creating these elements using some other system and then importing them into LDD?

To name but a few! Is there a way of creating these elements using some other system and then importing them into LDD?

Hi there. Glad you enjoy LU Mode :classic:

Regarding your question, no there is no way to import or create your own elements in LDD. In this interview the LDD Manager explains a bit about this. Perhaps some of the older elemenets will show up in LDD one day, but there's no telling when and if.

What people have done in the meantime is to create custom parts that mimic the old. Have a look here

this is so wicked! Tobad everything we made isn't avaible in all these colors that would be so awesome.