Superkalle

Get access to all the hidden bricks in LDD

Lime green, Lime green transparent... Tons of brown colors...

There is colors under colors, just goto a color and wait a few sec and then pops up more colors...Bloody awesome :)...

Lime green, Lime green transparent... Tons of brown colors...

There is colors under colors, just goto a color and wait a few sec and then pops up more colors...Bloody awesome :)...

I couldn't find the normal lime (bright yellowish green). I found light yellowish green and medium yellowish green, but not bright yellowish green.

but why have they kept it hidden for so long!!! why!!!

Because LDD is part of a business (DesignByMe), and the purpose of LDD was initially foremost to support DbM. Releasing Universe Mode would mean a great risk that kids started coloring bricks in any possible way, and then they would get disappointed if the couldn't order those bricks. That in turn could hurt the DbM concept. However, for different reasons things changed and they decided it was OK to release LU mode to the fans.

Because LDD is part of a business (DesignByMe), and the purpose of LDD was initially foremost to support DbM. Releasing Universe Mode would mean a great risk that kids started coloring bricks in any possible way, and then they would get disappointed if the couldn't order those bricks. That in turn could hurt the DbM concept. However, for different reasons things changed and they decided it was OK to release LU mode to the fans.

Actually, I was thinking that LU mode might not be so detrimental to LEGO. I tend to think that it was meant to promote LU by letting potential customers design models and minifigures to include in LU, which they may be more tempted to buy if they could use their creations in the game. :grin:

:sceptic: On the other hand, perhaps LU mode is just LEGO's own system for designing things for LU.

Speaking of designing things, I recently completed another rendering in LU mode. It's only an official set, not an MOC, but it uses quite a variety of pieces and some tricky connections, including these pesky parts, which LDD gave me such a hard time with. :hmpf_bad: I managed to wrestle the software into submission though. :tongue:

Anyway, here's the result of my labors: Claw Catcher!

lu_ldd_claw_catcher_small.png

Bigger Picture

LXF File

Unfortunately, there are a few inaccuracies, but otherwise, I believe my rendering is 100% instructions-accurate. Feel free to point out anything else I can do to improve it.

• The Lava Monster has no eyes, but that's a limitation of LDD.
  • The driver (Brains) has a substituted torso print, and no leg printing.
  • Obviously, stickers were left off (they weren't available in LDD).
  • Not all accessories could fit into the side crates, but again, that's a limitation of LDD. Fixed! I was able to use clip plates to secure some of the accessories in temporarily, then I deleted the clip plates to give the illusion of the accessories in their crates.
  • There is supposed to be an 8x8 grill plate over the water tank, but it wouldn't fit over the hinge plate, so I used a regular 8x8 plate instead.

Of course, since I can't play with the claw in LDD, I'd rather have the real set, but my rendering should satisfy me for now (or not :tongue: ) until it's released in America this summer.

Enjoy! I plan to do Seabed Scavenger, Smash 'n' Grab, and Mini Telehandler next.

-Toa Of Justice

UPDATE: Seabed Scavenger is done! Small Picture Big Picture LXF File

Unfortunately, the helmet piece is different (I couldn't find the proper one), there's no leg or torso printing on either figure, and there's no stickers. Also, I had to put the diver's flippers somewhere. Ordinarily, I would have used the holes on either side of the Atlantis helmet, but I couldn't do that this time. :sad: In addition, LDD's poorly programmed hinge controls completely prevented me from moving the joystick in the cockpit into the minifigure's hand, but that's a minor problem. Otherwise, I followed the instructions 100%. :grin:

UPDATE 2: Smash 'n' Grab is done! Small Picture Big Picture LXF File

Once again, I followed the instructions to the best of my ability, but there were several issues. First of all, both minifigures have substituted torso prints. Secondly, I couldn't find Squidtron's head in LDD, so I used an ordinary head coupled with a reversed jester hat as a mockup. The biggest issue by far (which was present even in LDD 1.4!) is that the hook cannot fit into its socket, so I had to use some bricks to slide it into place. I used a similar technique to get the money inside the ATM. Once again, there are no stickers.

UPDATE 3: Mini Telehandler is done! Small Picture Big Picture LXF File

I only had one major issue with this model: the "Catch W. Cross Hole" (also available in Design byME) was too long. For the sake of appearance, I used a black 9L axle to compensate for that other part's incorrect geometry.

I'd like to thank LEGO once again for their innovative set designs, and providing me with the opportunity to further test LDD's connection capabilities by building their sets.

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

is there a way i can use designs created before LU mode using LU mode

I don't completely understand, but if you mean use a design that you made in real life or thought of and make it, then yes. If you mean designing something with LU mode before going into LU mode, no.

I have a problem with the line thing, no matter what I do, It activate LEGO Universe mode! Do you have to close down LDD before you type it? Do you have to type it exactly like that?Or all capital letters?Or just lowercase? Any and all help is welcome!Thank you for helping me!It work's now.

Good day :classic:

Edited by krystalKING

I have a problem with the line thing, no matter what I do, It activate LEGO Universe mode!

Do you have to close down LDD before you type it? Do you have to type it exactly like that?Or all capital letters?Or just lowercase? Any and all help is welcome!

Well, the answer to your questions are in the downloadable textfile. Please read that first. Also read ALL the info in the first post. This is absolutety vital. And yes, you have to type it Exactly like it says.

Also, can you please delete the text Theme.....=LEGO..... from your post. That info shall only be in the downloadable text-file, Thanks

Edited by superkalle

Wow. The extended piece selection and color palette are real godsends. There are a few minor annoyances, like the missing lime green color and the lack of keyboard shortcuts for the decoration and color picker tools, but frankly, those are insignificant next to the improvements. So thanks for convincing TLC to open up this mode!

Wow. The extended piece selection and color palette are real godsends. There are a few minor annoyances, like the missing lime green color and the lack of keyboard shortcuts for the decoration and color picker tools, but frankly, those are insignificant next to the improvements. So thanks for convincing TLC to open up this mode!

I'm glad you like it :classic:

And I hope you read about the workaround for Lime color. There is a link to the topic in the first post.

Good tip also about shortcuts to the LU tools!

About making standard colors available in LU mode, I have used the following :

In Creator mode, I have created a stack of 2x4 bricks of all colors available in the standard Lego palette (including lime).

This stack has been added to the template thumb and I have switched to LU mode before saving the file.

Now, each time I'm using the LU mode, the stack of bricks is available in the templates and I just have to use the new 'pick a color' tool.

I hope this is clear enough despite my poor english :sad:

Thanks again for having shared with us.

Neuro

Edited by NeuroMimetis

This stack has been added to the template thumb and I have switched to LU mode before saving the file.

That is one h-ll of a good idea! Then you can also get a good overview of the colors sorted in the order you want. Spot on!!

Well, I'm happy to help.

To be honnest I'm using quite a lot the templates since they are available. Before, I was using file/insert but it is not so convenient. As a matter of example, I have built a number of gears combinations (2 by 2) in various situations and this helps a lot. Meshing gears has always been painful with LDD cause they must be rotated manually.

Neuro

Again, sorry for my tremendous french accent.

Edited by NeuroMimetis

Thank you very much for having opened us that possibitility, superkalle! :classic:

I quickly browsed through all the brick categories and tried some of the colors. It's abolutely amazing! :oh:

Klaus-Dieter

I've been working on a LDD project (I wanted to make the 8063 trailer) all day, but now i'm stuck....

Some of the beams don't get into place, and the LA doesn't seem work!

lddscreenshot7.jpg

Can anybody help me?

LDD file here!

@ JunkstyleGio: I tried for 45 minutes to finish your 8043 Trailer and Bucket .LXF file, but I could do it. The basic problem with Lego Digital Designer 3.1 in "Lego Universe Mode" is that one can't seem to connect Technic Liftarms at any point except on the ends. I tried withdrawing axles first, pulling pins in and out first, etc., but nothing seemed to work. Heck, I tried putting on the rear bumper (after I had inserted the blue Technic Pin with Axle), and the program wouldn't do it. :angry: Superkalle, it SURE WOULD BE NICE if LDD 3.1 had an option to direct the alignment of interior Technic Liftarm/Beam holes onto specific Technic pins.

JunkstyleGio, recommend sending a private message (PM) to Zblj for possible assistance. He seems to be the most-capable AFOL using LDD 3.1 in LU Mode so far....

@ JunkstyleGio: Just got back from out of town, so I didn't see your post until now. The problem was that the liftarms of the chassis was not spaced correctly - there was a small gap indicating that the entire trailer chassis wasn't "pushed together" tighlty (it would have been so easy to spot and remidy with physical bricks :classic:. Anyway, see picture below. If you close the gap, it will all work. LDD is pretty stringent about not allowing connection of bricks that are not supposed to connect, and personally think its actually a neat feature.

TrailerError.jpg

Edited by superkalle

I have followed the instructions as far as the saving file part, and this has appeared:

Cannot create the C:/programfiles/LEGOcompany/LEGOdigitaldesigner/assets/preferences.ini file

Please make sure the path and file name are correct

Can anyone help?

I have followed the instructions as far as the saving file part, and this has appeared:

Cannot create the C:/programfiles/LEGOcompany/LEGOdigitaldesigner/assets/preferences.ini file

Please make sure the path and file name are correct

Can anyone help?

I noticed that your path is missing some spaces in the folder names. Also, all those forward slashes need to be made into backslashes. Here is the correct path:

C:\Program Files\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\Assets\preferences.ini

On my 64-bit machine, the path is slightly different:

C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\Assets\preferences.ini

-Toa Of Justice

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

I noticed that your path is missing some spaces in the folder names. Also, all those forward slashes need to be made into backslashes. Here is the correct path:

C:\Program Files\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\Assets\preferences.ini

On my 64-bit machine, the path is slightly different:

C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer\Assets\preferences.ini

-Toa Of Justice

Tried following your path but my computer was having none of it, so i've used th apparently-not-so-good copy and replace method.

Thanks for helping though.