Zerobricks

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 3 bugs and brick errors

Wow, spiderspaceman, pretty impressive list. A few were known before, but there's a good dose of new ones too. I'll report them to TLG for sure. Do you have the LXF-files still? It makes it easier to identify the parts and verify the problems.

Out of curiosity, how did you find these errors? Trial and error, or have you collected them over time? In any case, great finds.

Out of curiosity, how did you find these errors? Trial and error, or have you collected them over time? In any case, great finds.

yeah it's just techniques I've used with real bricks that I wanted to use building this and that. and as i'd try to use the connections I'd find they didn't work... so yeah I guess you'd say I collected them over time :tongue:

and as for the last two things I just categorized bricks with similar geometry after finding a single instance that didn't work (plume in telescope, subbing for the new flame, didn't work, so I tested out similar things to see if any worked)

sorry to repeat known errors :blush:. I started collecting these up a while back and I hadn't checked the topic in a bit.

edit: actually I scanned the topic before posting, I guess I just brought these up because I didn't see them mentioned. though it makes sense that many of them would be known

ah yes, I still have the file. it's not very well organized, but I should be able to get it to you. should I just upload it to brickshelf and link you?

this is it, if you wanna download it

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

I was trying to make instructions for my crane, when i found these bugs:

The axle cannot be spin smoothly in this bracket hole:

bracket_bug.png

And LA cant be tilted no matter what you try...

la_bug.png

Also I had crane some 20% complete when suddenly almost all bricks dissapeared... No undo could help...

:sadnew: I was trying to revamp my MotoMan MOC today, when I ran into a nasty bug that should not be in LDD:

08-13-10_curved_brick_bug_1.png

The dark stone brick combos will not fit under the curved windscreen, but the individual bricks will! *oh2*

08-13-10_curved_brick_bug_2.png

Even stranger: One combo can fit, but not two at the same time, and only on this side of the curved windscreen!

08-13-10_curved_brick_bug_3.png

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

:sadnew: I was trying to revamp my MotoMan MOC today, when I ran into a nasty bug that should not be in LDD:

-Toa Of Justice

Hi Mr. Justice

There has been some other problems with this bricks too, and from what I heard it has been fixed in 4.0. Let's hope it's the case.

Good spotting anyway :classic:

got one more:

the octagon and egg shaped shields are supposed to be able to slide over bars, right?

4888080425_5ee98cbdae.jpg

Yes, you're right. Another great find from the SpiderSpaceman!

PS: Try to connect one of these to the grips/bars and see what happens :wink:

Hi Mr. Justice

There has been some other problems with this bricks too, and from what I heard it has been fixed in 4.0. Let's hope it's the case.

Good spotting anyway :classic:

Thank you for the quick response, Superkalle. I am looking forward to LDD 4.0, but in the meantime, I will just try to work around the problem.

-Toa Of Justice

Also I had crane some 20% complete when suddenly almost all bricks dissapeared... No undo could help...

I hate when that happens. I'm pretty sure it's because you forced some axle or pin into a bar. It happened to me when I built 7475 after I used your technique to insert the 5.5 long Technic axles with stop for the wheels. :sceptic:

Yes, you're right. Another great find from the SpiderSpaceman!

PS: Try to connect one of these to the grips/bars and see what happens :wink:

well now I'm intrigued but i'm trying all the combinations I can think of and nothing seems off yet :wink:

I hate when that happens. I'm pretty sure it's because you forced some axle or pin into a bar. It happened to me when I built 7475 after I used your technique to insert the 5.5 long Technic axles with stop for the wheels. :sceptic:

Yeah I guess I managed to do an illegal conenction for LDD:

axle_with_stud_bug.png

But it works in real life.

If you use rotation tool and spin a beam into the place of the stud axle, it will delete all conncted bricks to that brick...menaing you delete most of your model.

Works fine with beams without crossaxles though.

Didn't know if this should be in here or not - I know you already saw it, superkalle, but I thought I might need to stick it here as an official request :wink:

here's a sample of parts that will and won't connect (as of the infamous 114.5 :laugh: )

4890510695_94df3472b3.jpg

it's not exactly consistent, but I think they're all supposed to be legal

A possible brick boundary error: Im recreating one of the Cube Dudes for a EB user, and was trying to get the hair right.

IllegalHair.jpg

IllegalHair2.png

According to the posted image I have got the 1x4 slope part in the correct positions; but there is a boundary error when it gets too close to the underlying bricks (1x2 slope). Either I have to insert additional green plates, or I cannot get the plates to match.

Without a measuring tool I cannot see what is wrong in LDD when it appears to work in practice (although perhaps my construction is also wrong).

Original LXF is here

[Edit]

It is also likely to be due to the 1x1 plate inserted into the 1x1 technic brick (back of the jaw) which causes the alignment issues.

Edited by roamingstudio

A possible brick boundary error: Im recreating one of the Cube Dudes for a EB user, and was trying to get the hair right.

IllegalHair.jpg

IllegalHair2.png

According to the posted image I have got the 1x4 slope part in the correct positions; but there is a boundary error when it gets too close to the underlying bricks (1x2 slope). Either I have to insert additional green plates, or I cannot get the plates to match.

Without a measuring tool I cannot see what is wrong in LDD when it appears to work in practice (although perhaps my construction is also wrong).

Original LXF is here

[Edit]

It is also likely to be due to the 1x1 plate inserted into the 1x1 technic brick (back of the jaw) which causes the alignment issues.

Your link is dead...

IllegalHair.jpg

IllegalHair2.png

Original LXF is here

[Edit]

I can't read the file, but it is most likely the technic brick. The plate in the brick is slightly higher placed than it should be.

The slopes will than merge into each other, and LDD doesn't allow that.

With real lego the space between bricks is enough to compensate this.

Edited by private_lego

maybe it was already mentioned, but I can't seem to get those two window blends both together in the window (one or the other works out fine, both at the same time is not possible):

bugldd.png

b.t.w. occurs with both windows 1x4x3 and doesn't occur with the other inside frames...

maybe it was already mentioned, but I can't seem to get those two window blends both together in the window (one or the other works out fine, both at the same time is not possible):

b.t.w. occurs with both windows 1x4x3 and doesn't occur with the other inside frames...

Hm, intresting one.

I think it's a matter of matching elements.

60607 (released 2009) is supposed to go with 60594

2529 (last used 2004) is supposed to go with 3583

(looked them up in BrickLink)

So basically, your trying to fit old blinds into a new window frame :classic:

But, I might be mistaken, so let's see if someone else has a better explanation.

In any case, it's strange that LDD allows you to belive it should be possible.

Hm, intresting one.

I think it's a matter of matching elements.

60607 (released 2009) is supposed to go with 60594

2529 (last used 2004) is supposed to go with 3583

(looked them up in BrickLink)

So basically, your trying to fit old blinds into a new window frame :classic:

But, I might be mistaken, so let's see if someone else has a better explanation.

In any case, it's strange that LDD allows you to belive it should be possible.

Well, it is indeed strange and I know the actual LEGO parts well enough to also thing about it, but this is the LDD experiment result:

windowsldd.png

Well, it is indeed strange and I know the actual LEGO parts well enough to also thing about it, but this is the LDD experiment result:

I don't have the parts so I can't test, but does the "old" blinds fit into the new windows and vice versa? I.e. is there are bug in LDD that allows you to make a connection that should not be possible?

I don't have the parts so I can't test, but does the "old" blinds fit into the new windows and vice versa? I.e. is there are bug in LDD that allows you to make a connection that should not be possible?

That is correct, this is in Universe mode of course. The blinds are interchangable. And those old latticed blinds are too large I guess.

@Roamingstudio yes the technic pin kills the geomerty, you would need a brick like headlight one, so everything is in system.

I managed to work arround this illegal method, and forced LDD to fit hair in there:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/zblj/LDDparts/illegalhair-2.lxf

Exactly what I was thinking on my way to work - but I wont change it until this evening.

Here's an error I just ran into: Technic pins cannot fit into the holes in part #30373. Really bummed me out when I got all psyched about doing an Exo-Force MOC.

Here's an error I just ran into: Technic pins cannot fit into the holes in part #30373. Really bummed me out when I got all psyched about doing an Exo-Force MOC.

Yepp, that one has been noted earlier. It's needed also to complete the SW Darth VAder Tie Fighter. But interesting to know it's also used in Exoforce sets. Which one, BTW?