Zerobricks

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 3 bugs and brick errors

This I found to be extremely peculiar:

pieceinsideapiece.png

A round 1x1 plate literally inside of a thin 1x4 liftarm. The glitch works with all of the thin liftarms, provided that they have round holes in them. Here's more:

roundedpiecestechnicglitch.png

The round 1x1 plates can be placed into "thick" connectors and liftarms, but not the round 1x1 brick.

The .lxf file if anyone is interested:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rahkshi8000/LDDGlitches/technicroundpieceglitches.lxf

This I found to be extremely peculiar:

Wow, that was kind of neat, ha, ha. I have reported it to TLG (and from what I hear they really appreciate all the stuff we find). Oddly, a 1x1 plate will not fit at all.

Regarding the full height brick, it might be because it's an illegal connection (i.e. connecting anything but a thin plate). I've reported that too and we'll see what happens.

Anyway, this is a good read if you haven't seen it before

Regarding the full height brick, it might be because it's an illegal connection (i.e. connecting anything but a thin plate). I've reported that too and we'll see what happens.

But it works with the 1x2 brick with Technic hole(s)

It's because minifig's toes are too long

Okay... :sceptic: It's just weird because the 'figs toes aren't too long in real life, and he fits backwards.

Regarding the minifig feet. I played around some and discovered the following:

MinifigFeetError.jpg

It seems we have two problems here:

Firstly, the minifig feet themselves are not too long. Instead it's the combined geometries of the legs and the torso that creates the problem. Even if you first placed only the legs, they would still be off-set forward a slight amount in order to allow the torsos back (when placed) to be flush against the green brick-stack. So the base of the problem is actually the geometry of the minifig itself, combined with the fact that the LDD team have modelled the minifig as a complete unit (legs and torso).

Secondly, there is the problem with the horse. This seems to be a boundary problem with the horse itself since, as correctly pointed out, a minifig can be placed backwards but not forward.

Regarding the minifig feet. I played around some and discovered the following:

[snip]

It seems we have two problems here:

Firstly, the minifig feet themselves are not too long. Instead it's the combined geometries of the legs and the torso that creates the problem. Even if you first placed only the legs, they would still be off-set forward a slight amount in order to allow the torsos back (when placed) to be flush against the green brick-stack. So the base of the problem is actually the geometry of the minifig itself, combined with the fact that the LDD team have modelled the minifig as a complete unit (legs and torso).

Secondly, there is the problem with the horse. This seems to be a boundary problem with the horse itself since, as correctly pointed out, a minifig can be placed backwards but not forward.

:wacko: That's even more weird. I suppose it's because TLG doesn't want the youngins figuring out that they can swap out arms, hands, and legs; since that could lead to potentially dangerous cracks in the torso and wrists.

Piece #48723 doesn't allow axles to go through it. In other words, you are only able to put this piece at the end of axles.

2 more here:

The 4L long axle with stop can go all the way inside the beam, while the 8 stud one cant:

stopbug.png

Also you cannot smoothly rotate any axle inside this joiner, it skips angles:

rotbug.png

A close up shows, that the parts are actually in colision:

lddscreenshot2.png

Another minor render error: on this piece, the side with the two studs is supposed to have a pin/tube on its underside, just like a regular 1x2 plate. It's missing this pin/tube.

I need some help figuring out why this piece: (2M FricSnap w Cross Hole)

2mfricsnapwcrosshole.png

will not seat properly. No matter what I do, it won't go all the way through to the stop. Even if it's just the one brick, it still stops right where it's showing here:

whyx.png

Another view:

why2.png

Alignment of the brick doesn't seem to be a problem...it just won't go any further for some reason. Any help would be appreciated.

*And it looks like I put this in the wrong section...sorry. Can a mod please move to the LDD section?

Edited by messiah1

Not sure if this is a concern (I'm no LDD expert :laugh: ) but isn't that pin more for going though 2 beams, not 1/2 + 1 + 1/2?

In any case I'll move this for you. :sweet:

(I'm no LDD expert :laugh: )

Me neither, but you're probably right. Because it won't be 'in click' in the middle, it's an 'illegal' construction that isn't allowed(?) by LDD.

Not sure if this is a concern (I'm no LDD expert :laugh: ) but isn't that pin more for going though 2 beams, not 1/2 + 1 + 1/2?

Yep, that's an illegal use of the pin, since the middle will be in permenant compression. You can solve it by replacing the beam with two 1/2 width liftarms, since the pin can then safely 'snap' into place in the middle.

Figures. The directions call for that piece in connection with those other three. If LDD won't allow an illegal build, why does the official LEGO directions call for it? Seems they ought to be consistent...Oh well, I'll see if I can work around it somehow(I'll look at the above suggestion). Is there a non-compression match piece?

why3.png

btw, even when I pull apart all three pieces, it won't go all the way to the stop on any of them by themselves. Can someone else try the combination, and the single instances and see if they get the same issue?

Edited by messiah1

I don't have any problem with the single instances, but the the combination does not work.

I wonder what the heck is wrong then. I'll try a new creation and see if I can get a single instance to work. Frustrated over here.

You can pull the pin through the half beams first and than rotate the middle part in its place, but that will result in a colision and removal of the part.

Figures. The directions call for that piece in connection with those other three. If LDD won't allow an illegal build, why does the official LEGO directions call for it? Seems they ought to be consistent...Oh well, I'll see if I can work around it somehow(I'll look at the above suggestion). Is there a non-compression match piece?

Sometimes illegal connections slip through the net, or possibly it predates TLG really clamping down on them. I don't recognise the set and can't see enough in that picture to recommend a swap, other than suggesting swapping the middle with two thin liftarms. A 3L rod with stop and a bushel on the end might also work in place of the pin.

We were actually discussing almost the same assembly here a few days ago. It does appear to be illegal if you think about how that piece works, but at the same time TLG is actually using it in a few recent sets.

We were actually discussing almost the same assembly here a few days ago. It does appear to be illegal if you think about how that piece works, but at the same time TLG is actually using it in a few recent sets.

:tongue: Indeed you did! As it's said in that topic, everyone has oodles of pins so any piece damage is a small matter. But from a LDD point of view it's a real annoyance.

I believe it's the 10186 General Grievous set.

That is the set in question. Other than that, it's moving along nicely...I've had some frustration getting things lined up at times but it's going good for my second model.

Seems most of my time in frustration is trying to find parts...does this piece exist in LDD anymore? I can't seem to find it. If it doesn't, is there a work around?

exist.png