Zerobricks

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 3 bugs and brick errors

Hi Messiah1

Well, the simplest way to find a brick in LDD is actually to use LDD Manager.

There is a feature there that allows you to search for any brick (by BrickLink number, BrickLink name or LDD Name). After you have found if the brick exists, it will also tell you which category in LDD the brick is in.

@ messiah1: The 2429c01 Hinge Plate 1 x 4 Swivel Top / Base Complete Assembly (which consists of the 2429 and 2430 parts) appears only in LDD Lego Universe Mode, and not the "DesignByMe" mode. I see it in the 10th parts pallette group (the one with the 2x2 plate with axle pins sticking out of the sides), 1/4 way down that group. If you don't have LDD LU mode, get it here .

Hi Messiah1

Well, the simplest way to find a brick in LDD is actually to use LDD Manager.

There is a feature there that allows you to search for any brick (by BrickLink number, BrickLink name or LDD Name). After you have found if the brick exists, it will also tell you which category in LDD the brick is in.

Wow! That seems like a great tool. I'll dl and give it a try. Thanks.

@ messiah1: The 2429c01 Hinge Plate 1 x 4 Swivel Top / Base Complete Assembly (which consists of the 2429 and 2430 parts) appears only in LDD Lego Universe Mode, and not the "DesignByMe" mode. I see it in the 10th parts pallette group (the one with the 2x2 plate with axle pins sticking out of the sides), 1/4 way down that group. If you don't have LDD LU mode, get it here .

Thanks. I am in LU mode, I just must have been tired. I guess I should walk away sometimes...

Is it safe to say that this (the hoses) isn't possible in LDD?

Well, not in the present version, but we're all hoping for the next version :classic:

BTW - why the double post? You just asked if it was possbile to bend hoses in this topic, and at the same time posted a request to do exactly that in the "4.0 Whish list" *huh*

Well, not in the present version, but we're all hoping for the next version :classic:

BTW - why the double post? You just asked if it was possbile to bend hoses in this topic, and at the same time posted a request to do exactly that in the "4.0 Whish list" *huh*

Well, that's a wish of mine. So I put it in the Wish List thread...And I guess it isn't really a bug, but I put it here to see if anyone had a solution. Sorry for the double post. :cry_sad:

Thanks for info on the big plate with lattice.

Has anyone seen if this part (3633) has been used in any recent set with studs attached to the lattice?

3633.png

I don't know about recent, but 885 Space Scooter (from 1979) can't be built properly because the trans-blue 1x1 rounds won't fit into the lattice.

lddscreenshot1.png

At the moment, they're floating in space. (no pun intended)

In this file, you can see that the cockpit piece can't be perfectly 90 degrees.

Thanks for pointing it out!

I don't know about recent, but 885 Space Scooter (from 1979) can't be built properly because the trans-blue 1x1 rounds won't fit into the lattice.

At the moment, they're floating in space. (no pun intended)

Floating in space :laugh:

No but seriously, thanks for the example. However, I'm leaving the question open if anyone has seen that technique open in a more recent set (from the year 2000 and forward).

Thanks for pointing it out!

Floating in space :laugh:

No but seriously, thanks for the example. However, I'm leaving the question open if anyone has seen that technique open in a more recent set (from the year 2000 and forward).

Does 10021 (2003) count? The below-deck cannons are attached by the same method.

10021-1.jpg

Downloadable Instructions are here.

Does 10021 (2003) count? The below-deck cannons are attached by the same method.

Downloadable Instructions are here.

Yeah, I know about that one, but I think it was actually a re-issue of 398 released in the late 70ies, so it doesn't count :wink:

@ Superkalle & Cadder: I have the "Lego Collector's Guide" book that I bought at Legoland California. There are some differences between the two U.S.S. Constitution sets. Sold in 1978-1978, Set 398 has 1,033 pieces, while the 2003-2004 Set 10021 has 973 pieces. That's a difference of 60 pieces, so I recommend that the LDD file for Set 10021 "count".

398-1.1105158266.thumb2.jpg10021-1.1125890048.thumb2.jpg

It seems that any model with 3 or more baseplates takes really long to load, even if the whole file consists of just baseplates and a few tiles :sceptic:

It seems that any model with 3 or more baseplates takes really long to load, even if the whole file consists of just baseplates and a few tiles :sceptic:

I don't see the problem. Can someone else confirm?

Also, Prateek, can you share the LXF-file that causes the problem.

Here's a bug i found when trying to insert an axle3L stud-wise in a half beam....both 3 dissapeared, menaing its an illegal connection.

axle_bug.png

No measurable problems with this.

I can confirm the "problem"

When I use my old PC (Medion Pentium D 3.0 Ghz / 1 Gb memory)

Loading a file with 2500 bricks takes about 7 seconds

Loading a file with 512 8x4 plates (representing 16 baseplates) takes about 5 seconds

Loading a file with 16 baseplates takes 110 seconds

LDD uses 100¨% CPU times during loading.

LXF files attachted in ZIP file.

Added lxf files in link.

512 plates 8x4.lxf

16 baseplates 32x32.lxf

I can't upload lxf files as attached file. Can this be fixed. Lxf is a standard LDD file format

LDD.zip

Edited by private_lego

There was a couple of things I noticed about alignments when completing the locomotive of Western Train Chase. These can be seen in the picture.

WesternChaseLoco.png

The ends of the cylinders cannot be attached.

The cone will not fit over the 2x2 round bricks.

The dynamite cannot be placed inside the 2x4 container in the Goods Wagon. (kind of expected as there is no stud). I also could not force the dynamite placement using other bricks.

I can confirm the "problem"

When I use my old PC (Medion Pentium D 3.0 Ghz / 1 Gb memory)

Loading a file with 2500 bricks takes about 7 seconds

Loading a file with 512 8x4 plates (representing 16 baseplates) takes about 5 seconds

Loading a file with 16 baseplates takes 110 seconds

LDD uses 100¨% CPU times during loading.

LXF files attachted in ZIP file.

This is interesting.

However, I can't load the zip-file. May be corrupt. Can you re-zip and upload again please.

There was a couple of things I noticed about alignments when completing the locomotive of Western Train Chase. These can be seen in the picture.

WesternChaseLoco.png

The ends of the cylinders cannot be attached.

The cone will not fit over the 2x2 round bricks.

The dynamite cannot be placed inside the 2x4 container in the Goods Wagon. (kind of expected as there is no stud). I also could not force the dynamite placement using other bricks.

For the ends of the cylinders, you've used the wrong part - it should be this part.

You are right that the cone will not connect. However it will fit if you cheat a bit. Yse a technic x-axle in the round 1x1 bricks, then put the 4x4 plate on the cone, turn it upside down, and then slide the cone on the axle in position. But I will report this to Lego as an issue, since the technique is used in an official set.

For the ends of the cylinders, you've used the wrong part - it should be this part.

Damn the late night - I could have sworn the official instructions were not the same. If you look at the rendering of Page 45 the parts (when attached) look flat - but I agree they are the 4 stud type in the callout. I will correct. Thanks for the tip on the cone - I will also correct it (although I had tried something similar which had failed).

This is interesting.

However, I can't load the zip-file. May be corrupt. Can you re-zip and upload again please.

You are right that the cone will not connect. However it will fit if you cheat a bit. Yse a technic x-axle in the round 1x1 bricks, then put the 4x4 plate on the cone, turn it upside down, and then slide the cone on the axle in position. But I will report this to Lego as an issue, since the technique is used in an official set.

Save the file and use 7 zip or a simillar program to unzip it :)

I can say that the cone stack approach can work - but not exactly. I had to fix the model with a 3M axle to ensure the top connected, as using a round plate upside down, forces the inner 2x2 bricks to either not make a connection with a normal non inverted plate (grey chimney) or the bottom bracket. Alternatively you could put the two 2x2 round bricks 1/4 stud apart (held together with the axle) but then it is an illegal build. Either way allowing studs to connect on the top and bottom does not work.

I also replaced the 2x2 round plates on the pistons - but they to do not properly work now; there are larger gaps than on the model, but at least a connection is made.

WesternChaseLoco2.png

Edited by roamingstudio

here's a few:

these will not sit flush, either slight gap or slight intersecting. also they do not nest inside the socket, nor accept studs

4881634353_b723743fa7_m.jpg4881830791_8f0f5bd9da_m.jpg

these do not nest

4882438106_2d08e437c8.jpg

this hair does not fit to the shoulders

4882438180_a216b1bcc4_m.jpg

these parts do not fit together

4881830953_53ba914603_m.jpg4881832057_1e4629448a_m.jpg

these parts are too shallow

4882439444_ea03bd657f_m.jpg4882439408_3b45dfbd8f_m.jpg

these parts are modeled poorly, the hat does not take a feather

4881831953_5b1e082d7b_m.jpg

this part does not clip to studs

4882438062_bca301c242_m.jpg

minifig to system part combinations, legal examples here:

alp007.gifagt028.jpg

are not possible

this part is modeled wrong. should be taller, allow for sliding parts up and down along it

4882021523_6f004fd373_m.jpg

stacking bodywear is not possible, neither of these classic combos work:

4882219517_160a234c61_m.jpg

these headgear and beard combos don't play nice, though the heads fit fine with only the beard or only the headgear (still connect together but with gap- except for dumbledore hair. helmets work fine with the other dwarf beard)

4882826788_e9cafe2740_m.jpg4882219801_f516fdaf3c.jpg

the ghost shroud will not connect to minifigure parts at all, and this combo, used in the 'ogel' figure, is not possible (the ufo and insectoid helmets fit fine)

4882219559_38d7c2156f_m.jpg4882826698_8f63ff7056_m.jpg

plumes feathers and other parts with the tiny pins do not fit into telescopes, other pieces with room for tiny pins or tiny pin receptacles (not shown: cherries, back of binoculars? they do work with most headgear, even the turban and exploriens helmet w. hoses). also, they cannot be held by clips at bar widths.

4881830671_29960ca53e.jpg

here's a longshot:

the parts on the left all have stud width geometry that is not accessible by most parts, but only by 'open antistuds' like hooks, spanners, technic figure hands. the binoculars illustrate the connection as it should be possible. some of these parts allow the parts to sit on top of the studs, but they should be able to be slid down further, not unlike a bar and clip connection:

4882219451_1c00c24d8e.jpg

Edited by SpiderSpaceman