Sign in to follow this  
TGping

Review: 6331 Patriot Jet

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hey all,

This is my first review for Eurobricks, or any forum for that matter. So I thought I'd review one of the older sets that doesnt have a review yet :)

Year released- 1996

Pieces-153

Figs-2

Original MSRP- $16.50(US)

patriotjet_020.jpg

The instructions, Sorry no box pic, my original is lost, and only the instructions came with this set I got off ebay

patriotjet_019.jpg

Random instruction page, look at the part callout, by this time I think it was more commonplace

patriotjet_018.jpg

I really like the diversity of pieces, lots of useful bricks and plates, not to mention wings and the

awesome windscreen+canopy. Sorry I also dont kow what the extra pieces are :(

patriotjet_017.jpg

Check out all of those printed pieces! Just a ton of spyrius plates, very awesome, especially for where they

are used.

patriotjet_016.jpg

Wha...! I do remember stickers became more prevalent around 95-96, just two and they do add to the set.

patriotjet_0015.jpg

The MiniFigs! The mechanic looks like every other mechanic. I really like the pilot's jumpsuit+star spangle helmet :)

patriotjet_014.jpg

No printing on the back...

patriotjet_013.jpg

The first thing we build is the mechanic's cart/toolbox. He also doubles as a traffic controller?!

It does add to overall play value +1

patriotjet_012.jpg

The main build, you can already see the fusalage expanding from 4 studs wide to 6, making for a

very compact design.

patriotjet_011.jpg

Cockpit view and engine interior, look at all the printed Spyrius plates! I feel the yellow adds more depth/dimension.

patriotjet_010.jpg

The pilot fits snugly into an efficiently designed space.

patriotjet_004.jpg

Tada! Such a compact aggressive design, the overall shape is remniscent of an F-15.

patriotjet_009.jpg

Here you can see the effort put into making the shape of the 'bubble' cockpit, which I really appreciate.

You can also make out the engines on the underside of the wing, I haven't seen anything like it since.

patriotjet_008.jpg

It looks like the TLG wanted a more streamlined jet this outing and include a bevy of smooth plates and L bricks.

Very useful for MOCing

patriotjet_006.jpg

4 stud wide cockpit! Here you can see the engine intakes...

patriotjet_007.jpg

...which lead to the exhuast :)

patriotjet_003.jpg

A closeup of the engine compartment, which smartly utilizes some space pieces.

patriotjet_002.jpg

Pilot waiting on a last minute tune up, haha :)

patriotjet_001.jpg

Mechanic playing at directing traffic, I think.

This set came out at a time that I thought that all lego jets would look the same, then TLG threw me for a loop by putting

this out on the shelves.

Here's some scoring-

Design- 9/10 The Jet itself gets a 10/10, but I would have preferred a gas pump to the cart :/

Build- 8/10 sure the build goes by quickly, but I think its meant to. There ARE some clever aspects though(the engines/cockpit/tapering fuselage)

Parts/figs- 9/10 the parts selection is outstanding, the mechanic MFig is OK. The Pilot is a keeper!

Playability- 8/10 one of the most swooshable jets out there. But like before I'd rather fuel the plane rather than do maintenance.

Price- at MSRP 10/10 I got mine off ebay for a similar price without a box still 10/10, a minty one could cost you. At first the parts to price ratio may seem

off, but its not, it comes with some fairly large pieces like full sized wings (at the time)

For the sake of whole numbers 9/10! I highly recommend this set to anyone who is a fan of airplanes and spaceships alike.

I've never seen this set before but i really wish i had . I like the small details and classic look of it too.

The cockpit is one of the nicest i've seen in a lego set and from the exterior it also looks good.

Thanks for the reveiw :thumbup:

Thanks 'TGping' for this review - yeah this is a COOL set. :grin:

Maybe it's time for a new one using new nose/wing parts (thanks to SP3 and SW/CW) eh ?

Nice idea that you gain access to the engine, but that poor mechanic has no ladder to get to the engine bay ! :wacko:

Great colours and I guess either the F-14, F-15, F-18 or even one of the twin rear tail fin Migs could be the inspiration for this set.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Black Rabbit- I'm glad I could shed some new light on it for you :) It looks even better in hand, if it can be believed :D

Prateek- The only airplane set I can see this taking a backseat to is the jet from the MachII Red Bird Rig, which I havent seen in person. Still, I totally agree with you!

Lightningtiger- I've been hoping TLG group would do another 14.99-19.99 priced jet, but no dice so far. For the mechanic I can see a ladder adding a point or two for playability :) if only... maybe we'll get lucky with the next medium size jet TLG makes :) Til then I may MOC a truck and trailer to transport this bad boy, and I'll be sure to add in a ladder HaHa.

Thanks for the review.

I don't remember this set, but that's probably because it came out at a time when I wasn't buying LEGO. Lego had and still has a policy against contemporary military sets, and I think it shows from this set. Obviously the colour scheme makes it look like something flown at air shows, which is fine, but to me the jet looks awkward. It doesn't look like any real jet I can think of. It's clear they can do something that looks more like a proper jet if they want to (as shown by the newer set 4953 fast flyers ), so I'm guessing that this was probably somewhat deliberate. Nice parts pack though.

Cheers,

Ralph

Thanks for the review.

I don't remember this set, but that's probably because it came out at a time when I wasn't buying LEGO. Lego had and still has a policy against contemporary military sets, and I think it shows from this set. Obviously the colour scheme makes it look like something flown at air shows, which is fine, but to me the jet looks awkward. It doesn't look like any real jet I can think of. It's clear they can do something that looks more like a proper jet if they want to (as shown by the newer set 4953 fast flyers ), so I'm guessing that this was probably somewhat deliberate. Nice parts pack though.

Cheers,

Ralph

Yeah, and I get why lego is against military themed things. I also see where some people might be put off by the overall shape, But I dunno, the shape just strikes a chord with me, and after all these years its still one of my fave sets.

I also have the Fast Flyers set, but dont forget about this Red Bird Rig I just want something a little more affordable :D

Thanks for the review. It is little bit like an F15 Eagle minus an engine nozzle.

Edited by dr_spock