1. 1. Vote your opinion!

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

flashspeeder_-_01.jpg

I haven't done a review in over a month!

When going though the old sets to review, and a casual survey of the teachers on which sets are worth reviewing, this one came up. I was surprised, since out of all the original line of Star Wars, this is one of the ones that left little impression on me. For that reason, I decided to give it a second look.

Set#: 7124

Name: Flash Speeder

Theme: Star Wars

Year: 2000

Pieces: 105

Minifigs: 1, Naboo Security Officer

MSP: U.S.$10

Peeron

Bricklink

Brickset

The booklets

The cover is standard for the time. I love seeing the prequel characters in yellow, and like the way they used to have the set name on the front. Good times, good times.

flashspeeder_-_02.jpg

The back cover has the guard working on his ship, MacGyvering it into a helicopter and a little fly-pod.

flashspeeder_-_03.jpg

A not so random page. I didn't bother with inbuild shots, but I thought this part of the build was quite interesting. It's a small set, but the base of it is pure blocks. A nice, hearty building process, no empty spaces.

flashspeeder_-_04.jpg

The Pieces

The pieces are a nice LEGO-green. There aren't really any fantastic parts, but those green curves are interesting and plentiful.

flashspeeder_-_05.jpg

There are three printed pieces. The console is particularly nice. I've never seen another like it.

flashspeeder_-_06.jpg

Now this is rare. In the whole Star Wars line, only a few standard smiley-face minifigs appeared, and this is one of them. The print is simple but decent.

flashspeeder_-_07.jpg

flashspeeder_-_08.jpg

The Finished Product

First, here's what it's supposed to be. Remember this from, like, 15 seconds of the Phantom Menace? I do, but I watched it too too many times.

flashspeeder_-_16.jpg

This is the speeder. It reminds me somewhat of the cars in Bounty Hunter Pursuit, in shape and size. It doesn't capture the ship from the movie all that well, but at that time, there just weren't the slopes they have now.

flashspeeder_-_09.jpg

But, it does capture the feel of a speeder, much like the Landspeeder. It uses little round caps to subtly keep it off the ground.

flashspeeder_-_10.jpg

The turret on the top swivels for blasting action! The jets on either side are positioned nicely off the ground, and snugly kept in place from above and below.

flashspeeder_-_11.jpg

A kind of Mickey Mouse shaped ship. The two seats fit just perfectly, and the sides are low enough to let the minifigs arms hang over.

flashspeeder_-_12.jpg

And he has a little trunk in the back to keep his viewmaster in. It's a bit bigger than a standard 2x4 brick.

flashspeeder_-_13.jpg

"Yeah, baby, let's go."

flashspeeder_-_14.jpg

He looks pretty menacing behind the controls.

flashspeeder_-_15.jpg

The Final Verdict

Design: 6/10 It's not bad at all, it actually has a nice shape. Comparing it to the Bounty Hunter Pursuit ships of two years later, this design is a little over-simplified though. On the whole, it's nondescript.

Build: 6/10 Simple. The main thing I liked here was the solidity of it. It's almost all bricks, and it does feel good to snap it all together.

Playability: 7/10 It's a nice ship, with a figure, and a few play features (trunk, turret).

Minifigures: 6/10 If I already had 20 Anakins, I'd love this, but this is hardly an in demand figure. It would have made sense if it came with an Amidala minifig or something.

Price: 8/10 This was a decent price for what you got.

Overall: 7/10 That's a rating for the set on its own. It's alright. As a Star Wars set, probably a 6. It's an average interpretation of a relatively unknown ship.

I'm glad I reviewed this. It was interesting to see this again after 10 years. As I was building it, I quite enjoyed it, but then again, giving it the once over, it's somewhat lame. I don't know. I'm undecided. But I'm glad I have it. Nice for the collection, but non-essential.

Obi-Wan finally reaches his breaking point and tells Jar Jar a story in order to put him out of his misery...

flashspeeder_-_17.jpg

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Thanks 'def' for the review of a COOL set - gee it reminds me of that 2008 rebel battle pack speeder eh ?

I remember that scene, those poor clankers ! :devil:

This is one set I would not mind have in my collection - green is very nice.

Aw well, I'll download the instructions and scratch build from my parts department then ! :wink:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

This is one of my favorite speeder sets. A really great one!

Thanks for the good review of it.

Got to love the last picture :grin:

The idea of sending Jar JAr of to a nice friendly farm is just hillarious.

Thanks for making me laugh.

Got to love the last picture :grin:

The idea of sending Jar JAr of to a nice friendly farm is just hillarious.

Thanks for making me laugh.

Glad you liked it. My implication was a little different, "we sent him to a farm," is what American parents often tell kids when their dog dies. I figured Obi Wan was about to whack Jar Jar out in the woods :laugh: But a laugh is a laugh is a laugh, so I'm glad you liked it.

Thanks to all the comments here. I was dubious about the interest of this set to anybody, so it's great anybody likes it!

Great review. I have two of these, no clue on where I got them but I have keep them in their original condition because they are fun to have on display. Great set for the price.

Very nice review of a nice little set, def.

I quite like the Flash Speeder, even though I don't have the set. Also one of the better vehicles in the ancient "Star Wars Battle For Naboo" game.

Last picture is hilarious, and very well edited too.

It is indeed a nice little set. And though it's definitely not quite the shape of the original model, I like the way it looks more like somthing that could have come from the OT instead of the PT :p

Oh and the console slope piece is quite old, actually. I got one in th helicopter of my second police station (6398 I think...)

That last picture is what brought me from the frontpage to this review, awesome! :pir_laugh2:

Great review as ever, def! I've never seen this set 'up close'; it looks a lot better than I'd expected. I might just try to track one down. :classic:

Nice review :thumbup: , like this set, but that's episode 2 Anakin sitting in the speeder seat, not Obi-Wan. :wacko::tongue:

This is one of my alltime favorite sets. It was a blast to put together and to play with, had a nice assortment of useful green parts, had a great minifig and was just an all-around win IMO. I recently re-built it and it is sitting proudly with my collection.

The back cover has the guard working on his ship, MacGyvering it into a helicopter and a little fly-pod.

Ha! nice. Good review, BTW.

that's episode 2 Anakin sitting in the speeder seat, not Obi-Wan. :wacko::tongue:

It's a Jedi :hmpf: Sorry to ruin the narrative for you.

Anyway, I'm really surprised at the poll results. This is not a set that people agree on, it seems.

Its a nice little set, definitely doesnt really have anything going for it at all like a jedi or any really great pieces. It's a well made set that doesnt have any real cons that I can see.

Great review too Def! :classic:

Ahh, classic SW sets, these are the kinds of sets I was looking for on ebay when I first got out of my dark ages.

Great review, it's a fairly plain set and a little boring but you made it fun. I didn't know about the storage which is always a plus in these ships.

Thanks def!

Thank you for the nice review.

First these sets were 15 euro (around 20 U.S. dollar), but when they were halfprized I got two to give Padme some army. It had also many nice green and brown pieces for me.

Obi-Wan finally reaches his breaking point and tells Jar Jar a story in order to put him out of his misery...

flashspeeder_-_17.jpg

Is this a hint to "Charlotte's Web"?

Nice review def, thanks.

A great little set and still a part of my collection in it's entirety! The Naboo Security Guard is an excellent little minifig, it's a shame we haven't seen more of him so far, but we undoubtedly will again I'm sure. :wink:

Obi-Wan? :wacko: That's episode 2 Anakin. :wink:

I'd go back and edit it to correct it, but I want to see how many other anal retentives point this out :wink:

Is this a hint to "Charlotte's Web"?

I don't remember it well enough to say... Here is a hint though, "We sent him to go live on a farm" is a euphemism :grin:

I'd go back and edit it to correct it, but I want to see how many other anal retentives point this out :wink:

Touché!

:laugh:

Never underestimate the need for nerds to point out small and unimportant errors :laugh: