The Librarian

MOC: A Tribute to the Toa

...and because I, personally, have always thought the first six masks were the best.

Just another attempt to articulate the first seven Toa, by way of being a small tribute to mark the end of the line. Please excuse my lack of ability with a camera.

toatogether.jpg

(I sincerely hope this image is not too big to load for people...)

Flickr set here.

Enjoy!

Edited by The Librarian

These are fantastic, thank you for sharing them!

The first six Toa have always been my favorite, so it's neat to see these enhanced versions.

Lest We Forget :cry_happy::cry_happy::cry_sad: . I have always loved the first six, my favourites are your Kopaka and Onua, though I have to say my favourite has always been Pohatu.

Those Toa are great! :cry_happy:

I especially like the inclusion of black in the colour schemes, and the use of the original limbs (although it looks a bit too thin on Gali).

Do you MOC with Bionicle often? It's quite different to the previous MOCs you've posted, but it seems like you're a natural. :classic:

I don't like bionicles really much, but these are really nice. Well done!

:cry_happy: Wow, This brings back so much nostalgia. Back when bionicle still had it's air of mystery and legends. These are expertly crafted remakes The Librarian, and I agree the very first masks were the best. (Frankly the original story, and the barraki are the only years I really like but....) Great Job! :thumbup:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Great tribute to BIONICLE, very nostalgiac, I'll sure miss it, it was the first Lego line I really got interested in. I'll still follow the story but it'll never be the same.

These are amazing! :cry_happy: Lego should have released these instead of their all-stars or whatever they're called! :tongue:

Really though, I'm not even a Bionicle fan and I love these!

:sweet: Wow. Thanks everybody! And a spot on the front page too...I'm honoured!

Those Toa are great! :cry_happy:

I especially like the inclusion of black in the colour schemes, and the use of the original limbs (although it looks a bit too thin on Gali).

Do you MOC with Bionicle often? It's quite different to the previous MOCs you've posted, but it seems like you're a natural. :classic:

The inclusion of black is kinda necessary, given my lack of (the right) parts, but it did seem to come off looking ok. I'd have preferred to use colours closer to the originals (for Gali, Lewa and Tahu's arms, mainly) but just never got hold of the right bits. I used the original limbs because...well, it was easier to do it that way and I've seen some great MOCs that have used them. There's one of Pohatu that really inspired me to try it - this - so if that builder knocks around these boards, credit to them for some of the building methods!

You're right about Gali, unfortunately - I couldn't think up a good way to bulk them out. Again, nothing in the right colours!

As for MOCing Bionicle...I dabble from time to time. Nothing I've made felt good enough to post before!

Great! I've never really tried to enhance mine, because of a lack of technic parts.

Ah, lack of parts is a pain. I bought several new sets just to get this lot built - not even for big parts, either, mainly it was looking for better coloured axles and pins!

:cry_happy: Wow, This brings back so much nostalgia. Back when bionicle still had it's air of mystery and legends. These are expertly crafted remakes The Librarian, and I agree the very first masks were the best. (Frankly the original story, and the barraki are the only years I really like but....) Great Job! :thumbup:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

The first year masks are without a doubt the best. There's just something very elegant about their design. That's not to say that later masks didn't look good, of course, but as a set, I don't think the first six can be beaten. And I have to admit, I didn't really follow the story beyond the Bohrok - my dedicated set-buying stopped at four of the bugs and everything after has been bought more or less at random, because I wanted particular parts. I wouldn't have the Mask of Light if I hadn't been hunting down Rahkshi parts!

Thanks again, everyone. I'm still a bit shocked that these seemed to have gone down so well! I've just finished photographing my 'second wave' of tribute models - which I don't think are as good but hey ho. I'll get them up later...and in case you're wondering, it's the bad guys!

What great remakes.

My favourite has got to be Lewa. He was the first Bionicle I ever bought and retains to be my favourite.

I like the mix of Technic and System in these MOCs, a good amount of each has been used.

I absolutely love these! :thumbup:

The first Toa were the best, the very first storyline was simple and the world was a mystery to them. These are nice and simple, yet utterly brilliant, just like the storyline. I love the way they all have proper hands, it gives a much more feel that they are living.

I'm definitely going to have to take some of the design to improve my own Toa, if that is okay with you. :classic: If I ever put a picture up, I'll give you credit. (Although I won't make mine exact copes - I'll change a few things)

Nice job! I'm especially impressed by the legs-- while they are a bit awkward in how they're built, rarely do I see revamps that properly echo the simplicity of the original sets, and these certainly manage. I don't like how tall Pohatu is, though-- he's always been one of the shorter Toa, except in the Rockoh T3 form.

Thanks again guys!

I absolutely love these! :thumbup:

The first Toa were the best, the very first storyline was simple and the world was a mystery to them. These are nice and simple, yet utterly brilliant, just like the storyline. I love the way they all have proper hands, it gives a much more feel that they are living.

I'm definitely going to have to take some of the design to improve my own Toa, if that is okay with you. :classic: If I ever put a picture up, I'll give you credit. (Although I won't make mine exact copes - I'll change a few things)

Having found a hand design that it worked, I decided to give it to them all. I supposed I could have saved parts and left Gali with hooks but...it seemed better to have it standard all round. Except for Onua, of course, but there was never any question of what his hands were going to be!

Please, by all means, use my stuff to help you! I'm actually planning to put up some sort of break-down/instructions - I designed them all in Ldraw before I started building, so for once, that'll be easy. I look forward to what you come up with!

Nice job! I'm especially impressed by the legs-- while they are a bit awkward in how they're built, rarely do I see revamps that properly echo the simplicity of the original sets, and these certainly manage. I don't like how tall Pohatu is, though-- he's always been one of the shorter Toa, except in the Rockoh T3 form.

He's still shorter than 'standard', though you're right, possibly not as short as he should be to keep the proportions the same across the board. In fact, since I shortened Gali and Lewa and made Takanuva taller, I suppose I've muddled them all a bit.

I love these tributes so much, these are what we should've gotten instead of the Stars!

Well, if we hadn't have gotten Stars, I'd never have built these! Tahu was even originally going to have the sword from his Stars version....but then I decided it looked silly and went with the original, which works a treat.