BrickPerfection

Searching a colourscheme for rebuilding my 80 gun ship of the line Sup

Hi there! Im planning to completely reconstruct my massive WIP Superbe since i never was quite satisfied with the 2x2 gunports. And 3x3 didnt work in that scale, at least not with 80 guns.

A major influence towards this decision was the enormous sucess that Captain Blackmoor had on his Fourageux :thumbup:

In a nutshell, his ship which is about 15% smaller than the Superbe, looks WAY better although the techniques used are much simpler....

Of course the scale will also change, I'm planning to build it in true minifigure scale, which is roughly 1:40

Old dimension are: 152 studs long (waterline) and 36,5 studs wide

New dimensions will be around 190 studs long (waterline) and 45,5 studs wide

This gives a width/lenght ratio of 1:4,16 which is pretty good imo.

Well the reason I made a new thread for this is that i can't decide on the colourscheme and since I don't know so many people with great knowledge about historic ships or Lego in real life, I ask here, where the most competent shipbuilders are around.

So I made 12 drafts in LDD; the spacing between the 3x3 gunports is accurate; it's 7 studs horizontally and 5 studs vertically.

Since there is bo tumblehome yet, the height might decrease a bit on the real thing.

lddscreenshot2.1.jpg

EDIT: I worked out 3 more schemes heavily based on feedback narrowing the options a lot, so here are they. I named them A-C so that there's no irritation with the first 12. :pir-classic:

lddscreenshot4.1.jpg

Personally, I'm leaning towards A and B. Actually I might pick B :pir-wink:

EDIT2: This is going to be the final colourscheme:

lddscreenshot7.jpg

Thanks to all the kind replies.

Best Regards

Perfectionist

Edited by Perfectionist

This is going to be a HUGE ship!! I personaly like #9. Can't wait to see it completed!

I like #9 as well, though I think you should use something other than reddish-brown, possibly navy blue

One thing I am certain of, you should have the thick black space inbetween the gundecks

Hope that helps!

:pir_yoda:

It depends a bit on the age you want your ship to be made in. A ship of around 1760 could have had 12 but later on that was a bit old fashioned.

My favourites are 1, 8 and 10. But maybe something with a thin white or yellow line would also be nice (like here)

Or maybe 9 but with the connection of the 2 thin lines like in 8. Anyway, I would like a ship with 3 (slightly) different colours more that with only 2.

And on many ships the black gunports were connected to the black line above it, so not with red all around it.

Hope that helps :pir-classic:

I like number 9 as well. Perhaps do the entire ship in dark red? Anyhow, it does look nice with both reds. Good luck with it!

No, sorry, but thats too expensive :pir_laugh2: Unlike ZCerberus, i cannot get dark red from my local PAB-wall and it's quite expensive at BL!

But I was thinking of using a dark red colour for the interior of the topdeck like on this beautiful model :pir-classic:

It depends a bit on the age you want your ship to be made in. A ship of around 1760 could have had 12 but later on that was a bit old fashioned.

My favourites are 1, 8 and 10. But maybe something with a thin white or yellow line would also be nice (like here)

Or maybe 9 but with the connection of the 2 thin lines like in 8. Anyway, I would like a ship with 3 (slightly) different colours more that with only 2.

And on many ships the black gunports were connected to the black line above it, so not with red all around it.

Hope that helps :pir-classic:

The Age would be the American Revolutionary war, as far as I know red was a popular choices for the gunports stripes back then, while during the Napoleonic wars light yellow became predominant.

I looked at a couple of paintings like this one or this or this one showing thw white underwater paint.

The white lines are a nice touch and i tried them in LDD too, but it didn't work for me; especially when considering that the stern will also have white ornaments. Also the Santissima Trinidad you've shown is a sapnish ship and they were much more decorated than French or British ships.

I've also found some realistic measures for French 80 gun ships of the line here

They are in french feet since metric measures weren't introduced before the French revolution. 1 french feet = 32,48cm= 1,066 british feet.

The French 80 gun 2 deckers used in the American Campaign (for example the "Auguste") had a lenght of 186 french feet (60,4m) and a beam of 46. (14,94m).

Later 80 gun ships like the Tonnant-class were smaller (182 French feet = 59m) since almost all 80 gunners suffered from structural problems due to their enormous lenght (they were longer than HMS Victory) while having only 2 decks.

If I'm using 1:40 scale assuming a minifig height of 1,70m I'll end up having exactly one stud per French feet using this tool.

best Regards

Perfectionist

My favourite is number 5, with 2 plate thick red stripes on top!

Why don't you grant us an update on your magnificent vessel?

p1040816.jpg

Well, this is her current state. She hasn't been broken up yet, but soon will be.

I'll upload some more picture to the original thread.

Perfectionist

I would choose 5, those red lines will give a nice effect to the hull I think :thumbup:

This is going to be a HUGE ship!! I personaly like #9. Can't wait to see it completed!
I like #9 as well, though I think you should use something other than reddish-brown, possibly navy blue
I like number 9 as well. Perhaps do the entire ship in dark red? Anyhow, it does look nice with both reds. Good luck with it!
My favourite is number 2
My favourite is number 5, with 2 plate thick red stripes on top!

Why don't you grant us an update on your magnificent vessel?

I would choose 5, those red lines will give a nice effect to the hull I think :thumbup:
Personally I like #2 and #9

So here's something closer to what you guys liked (and myself as well :pir-tongue: ):

lddscreenshot4.1.jpg

Please state the letter you like most. Or a number if you like the first sample better. :pir-classic:

Best Regards

Perfectionist

Edited by Perfectionist

I'd have to say I like A best, though I think you might look into changing the thickness of the lines toward the top...

:pir_yoda:

Edited by the_green_avenger

Hey guys,

I've found a colourscheme that looks lovely. Thanks to Captain Blackmoor who helped me with that decision on MSN.

So I'd say, this is the FINAL scheme for my ship:

lddscreenshot7.jpg

Regards

Perfectionist

Looking good :thumbup:

Just one thing: Is it right that there's more space between the lower gunports than between the upper ones? (Or is only the colourscheme important here?)

Anyway, good luck on the real thing!

Looking good :thumbup:

Just one thing: Is it right that there's more space between the lower gunports than between the upper ones? (Or is only the colourscheme important here?)

Yep, it's indeed realistic like that: Look here!

I'm surprised myself, how close this scheme is to #9. But the small changes make it look much better IMO.

Anyway, good luck on the real thing!

Thanks!

Perfectionist