Fistach

WIP: My first train ever :)

traintech1.jpg

UPDATE 4:

Final version of the diesel engine

FINAL VERSION

Check the topic below.

00main.jpg_thumb.jpg

Photos with other cars will be published when I get some more tracks.

UPDATE 4:

Final version of the flatbed car

FINAL VERSION

Visit this topic to see the details and full gallery

00.jpg_thumb.jpg

UPDATE 3:

Road and rail flatbed van

Please note it is still in WIP phase:)

I've just spotted I had mounted the front bumper up side down. Sorry :)

main.jpg_thumb.jpg

The cabin is based on the recently released city lamp man car. I liked it's simple design and nice look. I obviously added the railroad wheels that can be lowered althoug I need to purchase one more. My forth wheel from the old set seems to be missing :(

side.jpg_thumb.jpg

On both sides there are containers - on the right there is a string and on the left there are tools. It also has some tools in the back of the car.

hds.jpg_thumb.jpg outriggers.jpg_thumb.jpg hds-back.jpg_thumb.jpg

At the back is the knuckleboom crane - i think that the last section should be shorter - but maybe not? In addition I put there two outriggers which I think should be redesigned.

What are your opinions about the car? What should I add or change?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD UPDATES

I always wanted to have a Lego train but it was too expensive for my parents and I didn't even bother them and didn't say it loud that I want a train set. The train sets are very ugly to me therefore I decided to build one of my own.

The project is a long term and expensive. I would like to finish it by the end of the year. I purchased some axles, bumpers and magnets therefore it's just the beginning.

Goal

The goal is to make a freight train consisting of 3 cars and locomotive. Two cars will have 4 axles and one car will have only 2 axles. In addition to the train there will be a cargo station added following the construction of the train. Although I have not yet decided which locomotive I will construct and what two cars I will make but I'm sure one car will be a 4 axle flatbed car with two containers.

This is my first train and I'm totally out of my depth therefore I ask for your help, critics and comments.

Flatbed car, 4axles

Version 1:

This is what I've got so far:

flatbed3.jpg_thumb.jpg flatbed_1.jpg_thumb.jpg flatbed_2.jpg_thumb.jpg

1x8 dark bley tiles are designed to hold the containers - which will be added in the future - and will not be seen. What do you think of this design? What details shall I add to make it look more like a real car?

Version 2:

I added some details to the existing car:

flatbed_v2_1.jpg_thumb.jpg flatbed_v2_2.jpg_thumb.jpg

Advanced critique and comments encouraged :)

Edited by Intact

I'd say even for an experienced builder in this field, let alone a first attempt that these are really very nice. They are a clean functional build that look good.

Detailing?...All really depends on what your planning, if your trying to replicate a real proto, or if your just building a generic type. Either can make quite a difference in what details you want / need.

Personally viewing these as a generic type build I'd say leave them as they are, they are certainly nice enough as is. :classic:

I'd say even for an experienced builder in this field, let alone a first attempt that these are really very nice. They are a clean functional build that look good.

Detailing?...All really depends on what your planning, if your trying to replicate a real proto, or if your just building a generic type. Either can make quite a difference in what details you want / need.

Personally viewing these as a generic type build I'd say leave them as they are, they are certainly nice enough as is. :classic:

Thank you for the reply. I think it had too few details for a train car. I don't want to build an exact copy of a real car but I want it to look like a train car. This is what I've got now:

Edited by Intact

All i Can say is that, Because they are container Wagons, They Wouldn't have much in the way of detail, so the Brake Wheel and Ends Make all the detail they are likely to add, But some Lamp fixtures on the ends For A red tailing Lamp Would go rather well

Personally, I was more charmed by Version 1, but they both look pretty good.

Yeah i see what you mean, it does look better, But when you go for realism Verion two has The Add-ons to Show

I would disagree and argue that v2 is better. The tiled top adds a great deal of realism. The SNOT sides are also brilliant. The only suggestion I would make, is get rid of the black 1 x 2 x 1 panel at each end of the train. I'm not really sure why they're there and I think it will prevent you building 6-wide containers (which look far betther than 4-wide IMO). But great start, I'll be following this project until completion! Well done. :classic:

All i Can say is that, Because they are container Wagons, They Wouldn't have much in the way of detail, so the Brake Wheel and Ends Make all the detail they are likely to add, But some Lamp fixtures on the ends For A red tailing Lamp Would go rather well

well I don't know if these type of cars have a red lights. I will have to look it up at google. Thank you for an idea! That's why I began this topic :)

I would disagree and argue that v2 is better. The tiled top adds a great deal of realism. The SNOT sides are also brilliant. The only suggestion I would make, is get rid of the black 1 x 2 x 1 panel at each end of the train. I'm not really sure why they're there and I think it will prevent you building 6-wide containers (which look far betther than 4-wide IMO). But great start, I'll be following this project until completion! Well done. :classic:

Well the panels are there for stickers with details about the car - I'm sorry I've completely forgotten to include this information. I will make 6 studs wide containers but it will be shorter that distance from one panel to another - or I will remove the panel and stick information on SNOT parts on both sides of a car.

Thank you for following. I hope you'll enjoy the project as I will :)

Thank you all for the comments. I will try to upload some more photos over the weekend :)

I understand what Melfice means about being "charmed" by the first rendition, as it was an elegant clutter free build.

Admitedly, I preffer the 2nd version. I'm a stickler for superdetailing whatever I can cram in, this does not lead to clean builds though and is just my preffered personal build taste.

Generally trailers like these are riddled with details. If your going for details then the bogies need work, along with the trailer underframe, sides, tops (container fixing points) and end couplings. In my opinion, this build doesnt need any of those as its really nice as is, hence I didnt suggest these in the first post. If you want more details, the skys the limit with stuff like this. There is also an art to making an instantly recognisable model of a proto without the need for all the details which is what you have currently done.

There are basically 3 routes for stuff like this:

1. clean and simple.

2. super detailed.

3. middle of the road between 1 and 2.

What direction do you want to go with this?

I'm sure I'm not going into uber-realism. My favorite theme is still Technic and I don't wanna spend too much of my cash for detailing although I want cars to be fully recognisable. I mean their application, what type of a car it is but not very detailed aspects like model name or company it was made by :)

Hello again.

I had some problems with my studies and I completly had no time to build anything.

But yesterday I managed to create a road and rail flatbed van I will use in my train scene.

Please note it is still in WIP phase:)

main.jpg_thumb.jpg

The cabin is based on the recently released city lamp man car. I liked it's simple design and nice look. I obviously added the railroad wheels that can be lowered althoug I need to purchase one more. My forth wheel from the old set seems to be missing :(

side.jpg_thumb.jpg

On both sides there are containers - on the right there is a string and on the left there are tools. It also has some tools in the back of the car.

hds.jpg_thumb.jpg outriggers.jpg_thumb.jpg hds-back.jpg_thumb.jpg

At the back is the knuckleboom crane - i think that the last section should be shorter - but maybe not? In addition I put there two outriggers which I think should be redesigned.

What are your opinions about the car? What should I add or change?

note: First post in topic has been updated.

I added the description of the final version of the flatbed car.

I hope Moderators don't mind me refreshing the topic by adding new post after my own. If so please let me know.

Thank you for the reply. I think it had too few details for a train car. I don't want to build an exact copy of a real car but I want it to look like a train car. This is what I've got now:

I think it looks great

I have been building trains for some time now

I just posted my f-unit in burlington northern in the eurobricks group pool thru flikr

please just type in f-unit and tell me what you think I also have a majority of my lego train collecion in the photostream

long live the lego train tech forum ..Tony