LEGO Train 12 Volts

7720 With real lights

traintech1.jpg

Hi everyone,

this is another case of fake lights solved :tongue: !

The 7720 diesel shunter with n. 2 diode 1N4001 (both of them cost less then 1 Euro) and n. 4 Lego 12 Volts Light Brick can run forward with only the front yellow and the rear red lights on

...and if you invert the direction of the locomotive these lights turn off to switch on the other pair of lights.

Also the control seat is placed on a tourtable plate to make real the engine driver conduct.

Here the simple electric circuit layout

7720-10.jpg

and some details

7720-02.jpg

7720-03.jpg

7720-04.jpg

7720-05.jpg

...see you soon! :wink:

Nice idea 'LEGO Train 12 Volts' - I would use LEDs - hence a diode would not be required - yellow LEDs have around a 2 Volt so a dropper resistor of 330 or 390 Ohms for 9 Volt or 470 or 560 Ohms for 12 Volt would work the same way. Depending also if you use white LEDs they don't need as much of a dropper resistor.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Nice idea 'LEGO Train 12 Volts' - I would use LEDs - hence a diode would not be required - yellow LEDs have around a 2 Volt so a dropper resistor of 330 or 390 Ohms for 9 Volt or 470 or 560 Ohms for 12 Volt would work the same way. Depending also if you use white LEDs they don't need as much of a dropper resistor.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Correct :thumbup: ! You can use also LEDs (technically: Light Emitting Diode) and a dropper resistor, only you have to fit the leds in the bricks! :tongue:

Thanks for the good points :laugh:

Why you didn't used an old 4v motor and replace the elec motor inside with a 12v version?

And when I see all those wires in your layout, it makes me crazy.......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edited by AFOL12v

Nice job on this. It's interesting to see the electrical diagram. 12V did offer a lot back in the day.

I think you misunderstood something Brickster. 12V didn't offer this, it's DIY. You could apply this to 9V as well.

yeah, nice one! What brick did you use? Regular 2x2 or something else? I'm curious. I build mine from transparent 2x2's and then spraypaint them.

yeah, nice one! What brick did you use? Regular 2x2 or something else? I'm curious. I build mine from transparent 2x2's and then spraypaint them.

He's using the official Lego 12V light bricks. I'm pretty sure the diodes are sitting in the middle of the engine where the wiring starts. The small voltage drop across the diodes probably makes a little difference to the brightness of the lights.

He's using the official Lego 12V light bricks. I'm pretty sure the diodes are sitting in the middle of the engine where the wiring starts. The small voltage drop across the diodes probably makes a little difference to the brightness of the lights.

It's correct! I'm using the official Lego 12V light bricks :classic:

Wow! This is the post which helped me years ago to recreate reversing lights on some of my MOCs! Thank you @LEGO Train 12 Volts- (after 6 years) :grin:.

My 7720 is equipped with an old 12V motor, and I had only two light bricks to use at the time, so I only turn on yellow lights according to direction. I think it's time to rework it!

You could have dropped @LEGO Train 12 Volts a PM of course, don't revive (very) old threads unless you have a very good reason (but in this case you just said a thank you). Often it is better to show your use of such an application and link to the old topic (to start hopefully a fresh discussion).