Sign in to follow this  
Commander_Rob

Different colours on the inside of models

Should this question have been asked and answered before, I apologize, I couldn't find a thread relevant to this question.

I am sure you have come across this: In a Lego set, parts that will not be visible on them final model will often be built in very different colours from the rest. If this is done in a MOC, I see the point, using whatever parts you have to build the inner structure instead of using more "precious" parts that you might need for the exterior certainly makes sense. But why in official sets? For example, why are these pieces inside the Star Wars UCS Snowspeeder yellow and blue when the rest of the model is mostly white and grey?

10129_inbuild_body_4_400.jpg

(Picture from Rufus' outstanding review of the set.)

Does anybody know the reason? Are certain colours cheaper to produce? Or is it intended as some sort of help, e.g. "if you see strange colour that don't belong there, you built something wrong"?

Edited by Commander_Rob

I may be wrong, but I think it is to sort of guide builders in large monochromatic structures, where contrast should make an easier build.

Either it's to make the build easier, or to save money. Supposedly, some colours, like blue, yellow, and red, are cheaper than other colours.

I remember some topic with similar thematic.

Final thought there was that different colors make it easier for kids to build the set. It is much easier for them to judge where is next piece going to be, according to the ones already placed.

I had an opportunity some time ago to talk to a designer at TLG, and he told me that they use other colors to make it easier to follow the instructions and build the model.

• Why not :tongue:
  • Colors like yellow are cheaper, meaning that the designer can use more special pieces/cool colors for the same total price
  • Just a bunch of for example grey is boring for kids to use in other stuff

I find it easy to follow the building instructions when there are different colours. Numbered bags also help with the building and cut down the frustration level for those who don't have the discipline to dig/sort through parts.