Bricktrix

MOC: Trackside buildings

traintech1.jpg

As I now have a plan for the new display layout (25ft in total), I've been busy building stuff for one of the sections.

Here are some I've just put onto my flickr stream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31223598@N08/

The signal box will only ever be viewed from the rear so I've put moving levers and linkage inside it :classic:

4486327667_3db37175a9_o.jpg

4486328591_c4c3078359_o.jpg

4486981618_9996e0730f_o.jpg

4486993440_389bc9bc99_o.jpg

4487005540_a3b95779ba_o.jpg

OMG ! :oh3:

Why hasn't anyone commented yet.....alright I'll go first ! :grin:

AWESOME MOC's :wub: - first the run-down building - excellent - really looks like it has seen better days.

The freight shed - beautiful design it does remind me of the world city train shed and it would make a great pair together !

Now the switch house - this is almost beyond awesome and details are very clever to show the control levers and what goes on downstairs - man, this is so COOL ! :grin:

I hope 'The Brickster' see's this - again AWESOME work 'Bricktrix' and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

wow! I love it :wub:. Lots more train things i can try and copy:tongue:. They all look great I cant fault any of them, not sure how you did the levers in the signal box though? Is the shed a replacement or a revamp? Can't wait to see more.

Thanks, cb

Thank you :classic:

The freight shed is a revamp of this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/31223598@N08/...57615197973534/ so the colours tie in more to Corfe Castle station.

The signal box levers are metal train wheel axles inside flex tube (I messed up on order quantities ordering boxes rather than singles of the axles and have 100's spare!) They are also inside the stair handrails as they help keep the flex tube straighter.

These are really great buildings. I wish your chosen prototype was German railways like mine so I could more directly benefit from your skills :-) I'd be directly copying your designs if they fit with my layout.

Perhaps you should offer the extra axels for sale on Bricklink, they seem to be the hardest to get piece of train wheels.

The Signal Box is well Made, And You could Probably Copy The Same Technique To make Them Control Semaphore Signals.

Or Points

Edited by lemonaitor

that abandoned shack is really great! (i'm a sucker for overgrowth and ruins...)

and the detail you have packed in to the switches in the signal house is also impressive.

can't wait to see the complete layout! I wish i had 25ft to play with! (jealous)

I wish I had 25ft to play with too!

This is for a modular portable exhibition layout which will have well over 100ft of straight track in it. At the moment I dont have enough free space for the complete layout to stay built, hence working on sections at a time of it.

I wish I had 25ft to play with too!

This is for a modular portable exhibition layout which will have well over 100ft of straight track in it. At the moment I dont have enough free space for the complete layout to stay built, hence working on sections at a time of it.

Very nice MOCs as usual!

I toyed with the 1-wide lever spacing for a signal lever frame but then tried to get them closer together because the real distance varies from 4.5 to 6 inches depending on the signalling company. Hence I used bad robot arms. Gallery here

In the interests of working mechanisms, I might revert to the 1-wide spacing in order to make lever movement easier. With modified Technic axle pins (removing the peg and leaving 1M of axle with a bezel in the end) it should be easier to make the levers move with rods sliding through the base of the front wall, all in 1-wide per lever for those I choose to have moving (not all of them). I might use small pneumatic cylinders in the locking room, connected in parallel with the cylinders on other layout modules that do the points and signals.

The disadvantage with 1ft lever spacing is that, after 2 months working out how to signal the layout, I will need 50-60 levers, and I wanted the length of the signal box to be right for the number of levers! I originally envisaged a 30ft signal box bit have already upped that to 44ft.

Remember the lever colours: Yellow for distants, usually at each end of the frame, red for homes and starters, black for points and blue for facing point locks, which may be combined into blue/black on the same lever, white for spares, brown for ground frames and level crossing gates and locks. I had also considered using a ship's wheel as a level crossing gate wheel! I'd like to get hold of some red, yellow, blue, brown and white tubing for cutting up, but since I had no spare wheelset axles and could not do your bare lever end method I have used light sabre blades up to now. I like the instruments and bells too.

Signal box window schemes have been in my mind for a while. None of them naturally fit the standard LEGO window range and I didn't fancy your trick of putting stickers on larger panes. Up to now I have 1x2 clear bricks as SNOT, stacked 6-wide and quite high with 1x6 white plates but I think 6ft might be too tall for the windows. Finalising that can wait till I know the final length of the box! Another half a pane below the opening panes would probably work for my box, but mounting them isn't easy.

Perhaps you would like to extend your signal box for the size of your layout?

Mark

Perhaps you would like to extend your signal box for the size of your layout?

Mark

Nope, no need for the amount of working impliments I have in mind, plus I dont think trying to accurately scale to suite LEGO ever works. What looks good visually and selective compression are the LEGO way and the ways I preffer, mixed in with a bit of artistic licence ;)

Signal box window schemes have been in my mind for a while. None of them naturally fit the standard LEGO window range and I didn't fancy your trick of putting stickers on larger panes.

No stickers on these windows, the build originally had taller legit LEGO windows, but the height of it just didnt look right in comparrison to the surrounding area / buildings it has to tie into, so they got taken down to standard height.

The disadvantage with 1ft lever spacing is that, after 2 months working out how to signal the layout, I will need 50-60 levers, and I wanted the length of the signal box to be right for the number of levers! I originally envisaged a 30ft signal box bit have already upped that to 44ft.

Have you thought about just making 2 indivdual boxes?...your proving my point here about scaling not working correctly with LEGO elements?!