Oky

MOC: Appa

Hello there. :classic: As you may know, I'm a huge fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of the show when the sets came out, so I missed out on them. But a few days ago, I finally got my hands on the Avatar minifigs through good old Bricklink, and when they arrived, I knew I had to make Appa, the avatar's lovable flying bison! So, without further ado, here he is!

1_appa_title.jpg

In case you can't tell, the above image was inspired by the Book 1 Vol. 5 DVD cover. :wink:

A back view:

p1060856_small.jpg

Here's the same angle, but without the figs and with the tail raised.

p1060857_small.jpg

Side, top, and bottom view. Getting the shape of the saddle-thingy and fur pattern right was hard, but I'm satisfied with the result.

p1060858_small.jpg

p1060859_small.jpg

p1060888_small.jpg

I'm also quite happy with how the face turned out, even thought the colors and the shape of the horns aren't completely accurate.

p1060885_small.jpg

Here's a comparison pic with the "real thing".

appa_comparison.jpg

And here are some classic Appa scenes. :grin:

appa_sneeze.jpg

Take that, Fire Nation! :laugh:

p1060878_small.jpg

Appa and Momo fight over some food.

p1060876_small.jpg

More pics here.

I hope you like it, and that this has inspired you to make your own Avatar mocs. EB has a real lack of those. I'm planning to make more Avatar MOCs myself in the future, so look out for those. :wink: Comments and criticism are welcome.

EDIT: If you want this to become a set, please support it on Lego Cuusoo: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/8890

"Appa, Yip Yip!"

Sorry Oki, not a big fan of the Avatars.

However your MOC is looking really good. Great that you showed a picture of the "real" thing.

I think you captured this creature very good. It is not easy to brickbuild creatures, but you have done a very good job.

Must love the sneazing picture. "Gesuntheit!" (or however that is spelled).

Awesome build, Oky Wan Kenobi. :thumbup:

You have really captured the shape and feel of Appa.

But maybe you should make that saddle removable.

I really like Avatar, but I have sadly never seen these sets in stores around here.

the Inventor

Awesome!

I really like it, Oky. It looks incredibly accurate. My only suggestion would be to make the body (between the head and tail) a bit longer.

But other than that it's just perfect :thumbup::sweet:

The pictures with the 'classical Appa scenes' are terrific as well, I love them :grin:

A great job on Appa, I hope to see more Avatar MOCs from you :classic:

Regards,

CF W

Sweet! :cry_happy:

I love Avatar and you MOC is fantastic! Appa arrow is really well done and great use of Indy's whips for the reigns. The face is really well done and really detailed for how many bricks were used for it. The tail is cool how it can be moved around. Im so jealous you have the figs now! :tongue::cry_sad:

Great MOC Oky! :thumbup:

AWESOME 'Oky Wan' smegging AWESOME :grin: - looks almost like the real character from the cartoon series. :sweet:

It's a pitty Lego did not decide to continue past two sets - aw well ......anyway you caught every element of Appa. :grin:

Good one and just watch out for the Fire Nation...... I hear they get hot under the collar real easy ! :laugh:

I'm a conformist! 'Oky Wan' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

wow, i love how you did the arrow on appa's head

i think this wuold be really cool above a microscale earth-kingdom capital city( ba-thing... i don't know how its written)

Wow!That is a really cool appa!I want to try to make on of fire nation ships out legos now.

Great MOC and congrats on getting those figs! :cry_happy: This creation is awesome in every way I love how you did the face and tail but the legs are a little iffy. :sceptic: And like others have said I'd like to see some more avatar creations since the theme was so short and the sets were just "OK".

BTW Xilifsson it's Basingsae. :wink:

Wow, stunning MOC Oky Wan! It reminds me of when I watched almost every episode of Avatar back in the days... :cry_happy:

This really shows how much potential the LEGO Avatar line had! I would have loved it if TLG made a brick-built Appa similar to your amazing one. :thumbup:

p1060885_small.jpg
I especially like this pic. It captures his classic bored face that you see all the time in the show. :laugh:

Oh my god! That was the one set I was expecting from this line, but never got it! This is the absolute perfect representation of Appa!

Nice Appa.

It's a shame they didn't make more Avatar sets. Well the fire bender soldier armors look awesome.

That is just great, it matches Appa perfectly.

I tried it myself about a year ago and got a perfect looking head but go nowhere at all with the rest...

Very good Oky.

It looks like the real thing and the minifigures look good on it.

The only suggestion I would have is to make the stripe going through it light bley/grey.

Excellent moc. I must try to make one myself. My son and I really like avatar and we have the figs.

I'll try and make one using your photo's as a reference. I do hope that I am able to figure out how to build it...

cheers stanley

PS overhere we also love your zurg and lightyear vehicles!

Fantastic job Oky, its practically perfect! Great job including the grey stripes on him as well. The saddles is quite good, though I'd love to see a version without it. My one gripe in the immovable legs, but apart from this I can't think of anything. I'm getting the series for my birthday so this as a nice way of getting me more impatient :tongue:

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Also, if you want the legs to move a bit you could always use those dark bley 1/3 tall spinny pieces. Y'know, the ones with the little circle on top that rotates 360 degrees.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. I'm glad you like it. :classic:

Sorry Oki, not a big fan of the Avatars.

Neither of them? :look: Well, I guess you can't like everything. :tongue:

My only suggestion would be to make the body (between the head and tail) a bit longer.

Really? I thought it's almost too long as it is. :wacko:

Good one and just watch out for the Fire Nation...... I hear they get hot under the collar real easy ! :laugh:

Considering how my Appa handled those two soldiers, I'm not too worried. :grin:

wow, i love how you did the arrow on appa's head

i think this wuold be really cool above a microscale earth-kingdom capital city( ba-thing... i don't know how its written)

Thanks, it was one of the most complicated parts of this MOC. :classic:

You mean Ba Sing Se? Hm, interesting idea. Maybe I'll make something like that.

I wonder if Lego ever planned a molded Appa.

That would have been great! But as I have proven, a brick-built one would have been just as good. :wink: Either way, I'm very surprised we never saw an official Appa. That just might have saved the Avatar theme. :cry_sad: Oh well.

I especially like this pic. It captures his classic bored face that you see all the time in the show. :laugh:

Hehe, thanks. That's exactly what I was going for. :grin:

The only suggestion I would have is to make the stripe going through it light bley/grey.

I don't think grey would fit. The only color that would be better than dark grey in my opinion would be dark tan, but unfortunately I don't have the necessary parts in that color. Maybe if I can still get my hands on a Venice Canal Chase I can try to make a version of it in dark tan.

I'll try and make one using your photo's as a reference. I do hope that I am able to figure out how to build it...

Thank you very much Stanley. I'm honored that you're using mine as a reference. It can get a little tricky, though, especially around the arrow. I can try to post a pic of the inner construction if you want.

You have really captured the shape and feel of Appa. But maybe you should make that saddle removable.
The saddles is quite good, though I'd love to see a version without it. My one gripe in the immovable legs, but apart from this I can't think of anything.

Thanks. Perhaps I will post a version of him without the saddle sometime, but I don't think that I can do it so that it is attachable. As for the legs, since he barely ever moves them in the show, I didn't bother making them posable. But maybe I can find an easy way to fix that.

Also, if you want the legs to move a bit you could always use those dark bley 1/3 tall spinny pieces. Y'know, the ones with the little circle on top that rotates 360 degrees.

Sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about. :look: Could you name a set where it is used?

Avatar mocs are rare, but this is great. I love Appa's brickyness.

I hope to see more Avatar mocs from you Oky

Not sure what you mean by "brickyness", but thanks.

As for more Avatar MOCs, don't worry, they are coming. I will also gladly accept any requests, so if there's anything particular you'd like to see moced, let me know! :classic:

This is AWESOME! I love it! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: The show-accuracy, plus the brickiness of it makes it perfect. Good job!

Hopefully Lego gets the license for the live-action movie coming this year, unlikely, though. :sceptic: