Sign in to follow this  
Fyredog

8043 Excavator in RED

Hi there,

I originally started to rebuild my 8294 boom, as I wanted to eliminate the gears on the boom, and streamline the body a bit to give it a more finished look. As I looked at the pix of the 8043 available on the internet, I decided to build the 8043 as I saw it. This is the first time I have constructed a technic from scratch. I have a couple of other construction vehicles that are not available from lego that I want to create. I thought this would be a perfect start as I really cant wait another 5 months for this kit to come out. I will buy this kit for sure, I want to see how they handled issues that I had. Using 6 M-Motors, 3 IR Receivers 2 LI Battery Packs and 3 IR remotes I started with the drive portion of the excavator separately from the body so I could work on it easily and charge batteries with ease which required 2 batteries. I believe the 8043 will come equipt with the drive linkage going through the center like on the 8258 crane truck. That is just enough to make both tracks work independently for directional control. So I believe that the red lever on the 8043 pix switches between rotation and drive. It make the most sense to me. 3 levers to operate the boom with 3 M-Motors are what operates my 8043R - R=red I believe this will be true of the 8043. 1 Lever operates rotation on my 8043R, and the last 2 levers operate movement. I will take a picture of the remote for the 8043R. This Moc took me a while as I had to hunt available parts down through Lego and Bricklink, my new found Gold Mine. My 8043R does not look exactly like the lego, as the fairings on the rear of the Excavator taper on Lego's, mine I kept to a more realistic look. Although, I will try them out to see how they look, and post pix. Also, I started out with the boom first, and had to alter that to really fit the body of the excavator. My boom operates through all movement. I could not get a clutch gear on the twin actuators though, there is too much weight for the clutch gear to handle. I built Lego's version of the boom just to see how it was. It is lighter than mine, and does not allow the bucket to be level when fully retracted. The lego boom does have a farther reach than mine though, but My plan is to lengthen the overall boom just a bit. I found that the boom on the 8294 excavator is close to the same size. The drive section is completely of my own design, as I started to build one like lego's 8043, and trashed it after I thought they were introducing a new part plus I really wanted to get rid of all the gears and look closer like the real thing.. I finally figured out what the part was while helping my son with one of his tecnics. Needless to say, I am anxious to try and mimic lego's bottom half now. Overall this excavator is a very nice model, I can't wait to build lego's version - But in reality I already have it. I hope you enjoy this Moc as much as I do. I have other altered technic kits if anyone is interested in seeing those. If there are any other views you would like to see let me know I will take a couple more pix and post them.

8043.jpgboom_extended_1.jpgboom_extende2d.jpgboom_side_by_side_1.jpgboom_side_by_side_2.jpgdscn2148.jpgdscn2149.jpgdscn2150.jpgdscn2151.jpgdscn2152.jpgdscn2153.jpgdscn2154.jpgdscn2157.jpgdscn2159.jpgdscn2160.jpgdscn2138.jpghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fyredog/8043-Excavator/dscn2139.jpgdscn2140.jpgdscn2137.jpgdscn2147.jpg

Thanks,

Edited by Fyredog

Images have to be 800x600 pixels or less. maybe they are too big?

I tried making them really small, that didn't work either

I am guessing you are tryng to upload them into your post as an attatchment. You should post your pictures on an external site such as Flickr or Brickshelf and then do a deeplink to your post instead. Click here to read the instructions on how to do this.

I hope that helps.

I am guessing you are tryng to upload them into your post as an attatchment. You should post your pictures on an external site such as Flickr or Brickshelf and then do a deeplink to your post instead. Click here to read the instructions on how to do this.

I hope that helps.

Hey Thank you!!!!!!!!

I like it! You did a good job "revense-engineering" the future set using only a few advance catalog shots. It could be that your MOC will be BETTER than the official 8043 Excavator coming out in 2H2010. The big scoop can really handle a lot of bricks. The linear actuators are very realistic and smooth-operating. If you placed your MOC outside and took a picture of it at a construction site, many folks would mistake it for the real thing.

By the way, I like your additional photos and narrative that you've posted on MOCPages.com: http://mocpages.com/moc.php/194666 :thumbup::thumbup:

Very nice MOC indeed. The red is a nice change from the usual "construction vehicle yellow" :thumbup: I'd love to see a video of this bad boy in action ;)

Thank you all! I will try shooting a video in the next couple of days and get that all worked out so you can see this baby in motion.

I made some revisions. I made a new boom. This boom is longer than the Lego boom, and articulates better. although it is a bit heavier This boom can reach further down into the earth. This required twin slip gears, and a small revision in the body. The revision was well worth it.

dscn2362.jpg

dscn2384.jpg

The two red pins pull out to separate the cab from the tracks. The hole for the battery power button is seen here as well. A paper clip works well to switch power on or off.

dscn2387.jpg

The rotation is on the bottom and is better supported now.

dscn2388.jpg

Here is a view of the tracks

dscn2390.jpg

I especially like how smooth it drives, considering the size (weight) of the model and the fact that onle M-motors are used for driving. Nice work !! (And I can't wait to get the 8043 myself).

Hi Fyredog,

WOW - saw your red excavator here and at the MOCpages and am really impressed. Especially your 3rd revised boom arm looks like a brilliant refinement of the original.

I am currently trying to rebuild it from the pictures that you posted but have big difficulties getting behind the construction lower end, the first bend and the mounting of the double cylinders. Any chance that post some more pictures without shethings?

Many thanks and best regards from Germany,

Volker

I hope this helps!

You are a star - many, many thanks! Waiting for some last parts (and the original set) - but the boom is almost finished!

Hello Fyredog,

I like the modified version you made, I hope to buy the original version next year.

Can you post more detaled picts of the undercarrige of your crane.

When I buy it, I wnat to build it like yours, I like it more than the original version.

Greetings from Holland

Dafgek81

Edited by Dafgek81

Hello Fyredog,

I already have the picts from Brickshelf, but I'm not that great of a builder yet.

The only moc I've build is a tractor unit based on the cranetruck 8868.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=421631

I like it, but it's very simple.

I have to make a trailerplate yet, but I don't have the parts yet.

I'll be waiting for the instructions.

Does your version work better than the original?

Greetings

Dafgek81

Edited by Dafgek81

You are a star - many, many thanks! Waiting for some last parts (and the original set) - but the boom is almost finished!

Hi again,

Now finally two weeks ago the original set has arrived and was built in less than 5hrs - and as the one or the other already has said: DISAPOINTING.

Next step will be to start a MOC close to yours especially for the undercarriage and getting rid of the many gears that consume too much energy as well as making the whole construction a bit more rigid.

So I am also looking forward seeing more pics (maybe the disassembly that you indicated) from your MOC :-)

Best regards from southern Germany,

V.