Matt Dawson

MOC: Working Hopper v2

Very cool! I have the 7777 ideas book and this one of the few things I don't remember trying at the time. I like your modifications!

This one has a cleaner design - nice. It's neat to see the old Technic gears. I think I may have a few of these from the old Auto Chasis.

Thanks for the comments! The large, 40 tooth gears have remained as they're a very easy method of getting the hopper body to tip without the need for many gears...plus it makes the tipping nice and slow - though a 360 degree tip isn't exactly like the real thing...

One problem with it as it currently is (with 8 tooth 'acivating' gear): For it to tip properly, I have to have 2 and a 1/2 rack plates - yes, I've already cut one in half, as you can see in the video...I'll have to try using different wheels, but the larger the wheel, the more unrealistic is looks - plus I've made the gear bar quite proud of the body to allow 8 wide stock to run (i.e. 6 wide + 1 stud detail each side.

Edited by Matt Dawson

Thanks for the comments! The large, 40 tooth gears have remained as they're a very easy method of getting the hopper body to tip without the need for many gears...plus it makes the tipping nice and slow - though a 360 degree tip isn't exactly like the real thing...

One problem with it as it currently is (with 8 tooth 'acivating' gear): For it to tip properly, I have to have 2 and a 1/2 rack plates - yes, I've already cut one in half, as you can see in the video...I'll have to try using different wheels, but the larger the wheel, the more unrealistic is looks - plus I've made the gear bar quite proud of the body to allow 8 wide stock to run (i.e. 6 wide + 1 stud detail each side.

From watching the vid, it only looks like you need 2.5 toothed plates to enable it to turn 360 which is nasty.

So, have you tried just using your new modded half plate on its own, or even just one whole one?....does the mech not turn enough to tip and once passed the toothed plate just drop back down to rest position under its own weight?

From watching the vid, it only looks like you need 2.5 toothed plates to enable it to turn 360 which is nasty.

So, have you tried just using your new modded half plate on its own, or even just one whole one?....does the mech not turn enough to tip and once passed the toothed plate just drop back down to rest position under its own weight?

Not really - As the hooper body doesn't have a restraint, it will turn according to the ammount of toothed plate, then return - the 360 option is used as it means the tipping action is smooth. I did try to do a 'double rack', where 2 sets of toothed plate ran opposite each other (one facing upward, another downward) following each other to allow the hopper to 'tip' then return to it's position using only one gear wheel, but it wouldn't work properly as there was either too much (or not enough) space between the toothed plates.

I still got a few options yet. But you can't really use a second gear wheel link on the other side as it's position would be where the body would tip it's contents into.