Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for New Train Sets

Just now, Murdoch17 said:

Well, that Toronto Rocket Subway 8 wide train made it to 10,000 votes, so cross your fingers for the summer 2020 review results....

Was just about to say that myself!

I would love to see the Mallard or the Rocket

5 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Well, that Toronto Rocket Subway 8 wide train made it to 10,000 votes, so cross your fingers for the summer 2020 review results....

Summer 2020 City sets have already been revealed and trains is under that one now. So I highly doubt it. 

Just now, Brandon Pea said:

Summer 2020 City sets have already been revealed and trains is under that one now. So I highly doubt it. 

It's an ideas product, so it wouldn't show up there... plus, they wouldn't think to put it out early, it hasn't been designed yet!

I am still hoping for an updated Powered Up re-release of the Metroliner and the Super Chief (with cars) as Creator Expert trains.

I still think that they should release another Creator Expert train and then release additional train cars as Creator sets.

Edited by CSW652

10 minutes ago, CSW652 said:

I am still hoping for an updated Powered Up re-release of the Metroliner and the Super Chief (with cars) as Creator Expert trains.

I'm personally hoping for a new trains shed (last one was in 2005 and doesn't fit the Emerald Night), train station (last one was 2014), anything that goes line-side with trains. I could take a level crossing (2010 was the last) at this point, I'm kinda desperate for news!

Edited by Murdoch17

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I would love to see the Mallard or the Rocket

Yes please to any streamlined steam locomotive, be it British or American!!! :moar:

18903ju57bh363399048.jpg

Updated train wash would be cool cos the last one was pre 2000.  Wouldn’t mind a signal box either, preferably with actual control rather than just decorative.

On 1/29/2020 at 6:28 PM, Murdoch17 said:

I'm personally hoping for a new trains shed (last one was in 2005 and doesn't fit the Emerald Night), train station (last one was 2014), anything that goes line-side with trains. I could take a level crossing (2010 was the last) at this point, I'm kinda desperate for news!

I could also go with another train shed similar to 10027, but would take it a step farther and hope for some other train related buildings a lot more detailed than what comes with City sets.  Stations, factories, warehouses, train maintenance structures etc....   It's really to bad they didn't release that Lego Ideas Chemical Plant, that would have been a buy from me.

From the next City train wave onwards, trains should be non-motorized by default. Cheaper and they'll sell better than they do now. Motorizing equipment should be made separately. 

55 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

From the next City train wave onwards, trains should be non-motorized by default. Cheaper and they'll sell better than they do now. Motorizing equipment should be made separately. 

Some simple thought would show why that’s not going to happen and why, if it did, it would be a bad thing.

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

I doubt even the lower end of the target demographic (6-12) would be enthused by a vanilla push train. Since Trains came under City, they have always been ready-to-run kits and I doubt that'll change.

I suspect we also have that target age range to thank for the physical Powered Up remote; the 12+ Disney train omits it.

15 minutes ago, Chromeknight said:

Some simple thought would show why that’s not going to happen and why, if it did, it would be a bad thing.

I would agree that it won't happen, but if it were done right it could be a good thing. For example, when the Emerald Night came out it was unpowered (still is) but they also offered an Emerald Night collection with all of the parts necessary to power it. There were a few other unpowered trains that also came in bundles with the parts to power them. I don't like that they bundled so much with the EN, but there is no reason why they could not have an unpowered train and a separate parts pack to power it. But it will not happen because they want to keep the number of sets under control and especially do not want 5 billion specialized sets.

Winter Village (2016)  , Hidden Side (2019), Hogwarts Express (2018) were unmotorized, so "push-trains"  do still exist actually.

As for City, with how infrequent current trains are I don't see unmotorized train happening as people want a ready-to run set. 

I can imagine they might not put a controller in each set in the future (app controls & multi-train control on a single controller), but a motor/battery is pretty essential in City.

Creator Expert trains have a higher age range and a set like Horizon Express was basicly only half a train, so selling that unmotorized made sense.

There were pushtrains back in the old blue and grey rail eras but there also were a lot more trains.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

Of course people don't agree on my ideas. They never do. Not on Eurobricks! 

Don’t be bitter. Be better.

While I couldn’t say it would never happen in the City line (or in general), it would be interesting to see a non-licensed $300+ usd set. Think of the non-motorized possibilities: 

- A large play set with 2~3 engines and 5~7 cars

- An EN or HE “like” set with a complement of 3~4 coaches and a decent station build (think a smaller version of that WV station)

- An N-in-1 set with around 3.000+ pieces

6 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Of course people don't agree on my ideas. They never do. Not on Eurobricks! 

Sorry, I realise my reply came across as harsh.

LEGO is a kids toy company. They want to make their products as simple and playable as possible. Making mums and dads find and buy a seperate pack to motorise a train is neither simple nor good play value. A train box with everything needed in it is what parents want.

Edited by Chromeknight

@Chromeknight You weren't harsh. That was just sarcasm I was doing. However, I personally think push along play makes more playability than remote control. But that's something we'll have to agree to disagree on. 

21 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Personally, I think it'd be a great idea for Lego to give Creator's Three-In-One line some non-motorized train sets that aren't microscaled polybag builds; but as for other themes, I just can't see Lego completely doing away with motorized train sets. I mean, maybe City could sell some individual locomotive builds under the Great Vehicles subtheme, supplementary to the larger motorized sets that come around every four years? :def_shrug:

14 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Winter Village (2016), Hidden Side (2019), Hogwarts Express (2018) were unmotorized, so "push-trains"  do still exist actually.

Creator Expert trains have a higher age range and a set like Horizon Express was basicly only half a train, so selling that unmotorized made sense.

There were pushtrains back in the old blue and grey rail eras but there also were a lot more trains.

I'm aware of all those. That's why I said vanilla push trains wouldn't be attractive to today's 6-12 kids. The Winter Holiday train was technically Creator Expert/Christmas themed and the Hogwarts Express & Hidden Side trains are also themed. Hogwarts Express includes no track, IIRC, and only a few pieces of straight track with the Hidden Side train.

The message appears to be that LEGO is confident that kids will play with these themed push trains--even without track--or they are good enough as static display pieces. That's reasonable for all three of these with the Christmas theme/rotating toy wagon, the Harry Potter theme & included station/platform 9 3/4 and the Hidden Side loco wings/AR features.

But how many would put up a regular City train for static display? Or kids play with them on the bare floor? Even the Duplo trains--for a demographic that would happily play with push trains--are now permanently motorized (they use a specialized base for the loco).

Edited by izx

Another streetcar anyone? How about one that looks similar to the DC Streetcar?

original.jpg

Could be possible for a future public transportation related subtheme for City or part of a mega set or Trains wave. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

How about the new Amtrak Acela (2)?  It seems generic enough as a toy train to look like other high speed trains in other parts of the world.  It could be a candidate with wider regional reach and appeal. Besides who wouldn't want more dark blue?  :classic:

20200217-DJI_0005-scaled-850x478$large.j

4 hours ago, dr_spock said:

How about the new Amtrak Acela (2)?  It seems generic enough as a toy train to look like other high speed trains in other parts of the world.  It could be a candidate with wider regional reach and appeal. Besides who wouldn't want more dark blue?  :classic:

20200217-DJI_0005-scaled-850x478$large.j

I think that would look much better with the old school Amtrak striping instead.

I would leave the city train sets as they are.  Wish Lego would add train cars and railway maintenance vehicles to the 3 n 1 creator line.  Also wish they would bring back the Creator expert trains and add creator expert train related buildings once in awhile.  Probably none of that will happen except for the city trains every few years, but here's hoping.

I bet that if the Crocodile sells well (which I bet), then we'll see a steam locomotive with tender next year - maybe something similar to the Emerald Night, maybe something completely different like the Mallart.

In contrast, which concerns (additional) waggons I'm regrettably not that optimistic that we'll get some since TLG seems to want to release only an exclusive train set which you can use in an layout as well as only for displaying - and an engine with several waggons wouldn't fit lengthwise in a regular sized showcase ...

What do you think?

I’ve been thinking...

The D2C Hogwarts came out in 2018, and a D2C Diagon Alley is confirmed for 2020.  If this line continues, can we expect a D2C Hogwarts Express in 2022?

These sets need to be ones which appear in most if not all the films (I’m putting DH parts 1&2 together here), so to me a D2C Hogwarts Express is ideal, and right now I’m struggling to think of a suitable other.