Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for New Train Sets

Since we got the EN then Maersk, why not the next highly detailed train be a Steam?

Since, the EN was a steamer, and the Maersk runs on diesel, the next logical step leads to an electric loco.

However, I would like to see TLG's approach on some unconventional trains, like:

The glass train

75_13%20Gl%E4serner%20Zug%20in%20BGD.jpg

The rail bus called "Schweineschnäuzchen" (pig snout)

T2_in_Bochum_Dahlhausen_2_.jpg

The rail zeppelin

tumblr_l5e7udPRfP1qcaiw9o1_500.jpg

The Adler (eagle)

800px-Adler_May_2008_Fuerth_3.jpg

gwrpannierweb.jpg

GWR Pannier Tank Loco :wub:

More realistic loco's along the Emerald Night style rather than Hogwarts Express

^^^^^^ +1 this! I think a little pannier tank'd steamer lends itself perfectly to the smaller layouts many folks getting in to Lego Trains will have, in a quaint little town sort of way... There's even an existing design, ready and waiting for them.... http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52823&st=0&p=941877&hl=gwr%205700&fromsearch=1entry941877 http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56320&st=0&p=1004022&hl=gwr%205700&fromsearch=1entry1004022 :wink: All Lego have to do is pick the bricks, box em up and watch the $ roll in!!! :sweet:

Edited by johnny cogs

However, I would like to see TLG's approach on some unconventional trains, like:

The rail bus called "Schweineschnäuzchen" (pig snout)

T2_in_Bochum_Dahlhausen_2_.jpg

One of the models in set 10183:

101831901.jpg

The EN is supposedly modelled on the Scotsman so we've already got it. If you want it closer than that then you MOD it.

snip

(Yes, I know I'm replying to an old post. :laugh: )

Interesting bit:

Jamie Berard, the designer of the Emerald Night, gave a nice talk on his design process at the NMRA show in Hartford, CT this summer. Basically, the Night isn't really designed around anything in particular, but more along the lines of "heavily inspired" by all of the above. The passenger car had the possibility of having dark blue sides at one point. He showed us a nice model that was used in the decision making process. One side was blue, the other brown. If I recall correctly, the same method was used to decide on which type of window to use.

Very interesting talk to listen to.

-Elroy

This is very nice

One of the models in set 10183:

101831901.jpg

Being that Lego is European for the most part we are mainly given European locomotives. I would really like to see more American locomotives preferably diesel. The model train companies reproduce actual replicas with authentic roadnames and paint schemes and this is something I would really love to see Lego do more with. Years ago they made a Santa Fe model that resembled an F3 and I've even seen a BNSF locomotive. How about the iconic GG1 in a Pennsylvania Brunswick green color complete with pin stripes? The Raymond Lowery design for those that know what I'm talking about. I would love to see some GP-38's or even an SD40-2 in several different roadnames like Conrail or Burlington Northern.

Lego is really not that type of company though. Most of their designs are based on child playability and only a handful of models are directed to the adult collector each year. The other problem is that each model needs to be designed, built, tested and then produced in a large quantity in order for them to turn a profit. Something I like may not be appealing to someone else so they have to stick with a basic popular design. Almost a universal design for that matter.

It has become evident that the train side of Lego is growing rapidly perhaps with the introduction of the new power function line. Before the locomotives were powered and there was no way around it. Now the models can be built with more complexity and a collector could just purchase the model to display with no intention of running it. For this very reason they may have seen a spike in their sales on the entire train line. It seems like we will be seeing a surge in train models from Lego in the near future and I certainly welcome just about any model at this point.

I would really like to see them release a new train shed and like others would love to see more rolling stock released. kind of expensive to buy a set just to get some more cars. It would also be nice to see them release a service pack with the trucks so that we could build our own cars

Being that Lego is European for the most part we are mainly given European locomotives. I would really like to see more American locomotives preferably diesel. The model train companies reproduce actual replicas with authentic roadnames and paint schemes and this is something I would really love to see Lego do more with. Years ago they made a Santa Fe model that resembled an F3 and I've even seen a BNSF locomotive. How about the iconic GG1 in a Pennsylvania Brunswick green color complete with pin stripes? The Raymond Lowery design for those that know what I'm talking about. I would love to see some GP-38's or even an SD40-2 in several different roadnames like Conrail or Burlington Northern.

More than just being a European company, it makes sense to cater to their most popular markets. Germany is their largest market. The US is third or fourth. The Santa Fe while being very popular with AFOLs may not have been a great financial sucess. The carriages were eventually heavily discounted, which suggests sales were not great. Also using real railroad markings requires licensing agreements which either reduce profits of add to the cost of a set, not so great for a line which needs to compete with other popular city sets like Fire or Police.

Lego is really not that type of company though. Most of their designs are based on child playability and only a handful of models are directed to the adult collector each year. The other problem is that each model needs to be designed, built, tested and then produced in a large quantity in order for them to turn a profit. Something I like may not be appealing to someone else so they have to stick with a basic popular design. Almost a universal design for that matter.

I think this is the crux of the problem. AFOLs have different wants, I for instance don't care for US diesels, you probably don't want German steamers like me. Even if every AFOL (I've seen estimates of ~50,000 AFOLs) liked the same thing we are still only 5% of the market for LEGO sets.

It has become evident that the train side of Lego is growing rapidly perhaps with the introduction of the new power function line. Before the locomotives were powered and there was no way around it. Now the models can be built with more complexity and a collector could just purchase the model to display with no intention of running it. For this very reason they may have seen a spike in their sales on the entire train line. It seems like we will be seeing a surge in train models from Lego in the near future and I certainly welcome just about any model at this point.

We have already seen a surge of LEGO trains. Two city train sets, EN, Maersk, Toy story, Hogwarts, plus the new City service train all in a few years. I'm pretty sure we've never had so many trains in a few year time span ever before. I hope it continues, particularly the AFOL aimed sets like the EN and Marsk trains. I think the flexibility to either include or not the PF elements is great, and shows the idea to share PF components across all lines is working.

Trolley: $40-$50 400-500 parts

Trolley such as or based off the ones used in San Fransisco. A single car nicely brickbuilt with nice wooden colors , minifigs include driver and 2 passengers. Also has the option to easily add the PF parts. The IR reciever could be in the middle or one end, battery box underneath and motor replaces one set of wheels.

I think it would be popular and sell well because for a Trolley you only need one car to have fun, and also you can buy multiples if you want multiple Trolleys in your City.

Second that, nice idea Macoco.

A San Francisco cable car:

250px-Sfcablecar_at_lombardst_cropped.jpg

Or how about a classic Melbourne tram:

220px-Acnewtram3.jpg

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Well, we did recieve a tram in the public transport set, so another would be unlikely; I'm sure a lot of poeple wouldn't even know what a tram is.

For me the only thing I would like to see is more useful parts in AFOL colours like the dark and sand colour varieties. Its the MOCs that can be created from these parts rather than the set it comes from that interests me.

I would love some new Steam Trains, in the past years we have had too many city trains. Imagine some new piston bricks!

In fact I would like it if we got something like 5 trains a year, i.e. a small train, bigger train ... until we get something like the EN.

:jollyroger:

Here are some two completely new ideas I really would like to see TLG releasing:

Track Repair Train

- yellow shunting engine (similar to 3677) with blinking light on top

- yellow waggon with tank for bulk freight and conveyor belt in order to bring new substratum on the tracks

- small yellow caboose with small kitchen, toilet and storage room for tools

- small yellow waggon with lifting platform in order to repair signals

- light signal

- some tracks

- Octan train filling station on a small platform

- accessory: shovel, brush, radio set, barrels, welding equipment, different tools, megaphone, blinking lights, barriers, bulk freight

- minifigs: four train workers

Snow Service Engine

- red shunting engine (similar to 3677) with blinking light on top

- attachable dozer blade for clearing away the snow from the tracks

- accessory: snow shovel, shovel, brush and radio set

- minifigs: two train workers

What do you think?

Klaus-Dieter

Well, the idea of a maintenance train appeals to me. I've already designed a V60 in the colours of Volkerrail, one of the three railroad contractors in the Netherlands, with the intention to add two Gottwald cranes, one or two flatcars and maybe some additional cars.

A crane would be a nice addition to an official set as well. They already did that before, but I think it's possible to release a slightly larger one as well. And less cartoony, the last proper design was 4552 IMHO. It should fit right into the idea of a repair train and adds playability as well.

I'd skip the blinking light idea. Unless LEGO releases a new part for it, there are IIRC two options: either the old 9V Light & Sound light (discontinued) or a complicated mechanical contraption (I doubt that'll fit in a shunter, and unlikely LEGO will do that in an official set).

As for the Snow Service I actually see something like this an interesting possibility. This requires some mechanics as well, but it can be built very easy as LEGO already did with 4533.

Bochum Dahlhausen (where the Schweineschnäuzchen image came from) also has a nice old repair train just behind that round engine shed from the image that Nebsirob posted.

Like your VolkerRail locomotive too Rijkjavik, has nice colours that fit the LEGO world very much :) we should send them a petition ;)

I want a large articulated locomotive or a 4-8-4 northern! Haha

I wish they would sell large sheds, bridges, turntables, things of that type.

A creator expert set of a roundhouse would be great, especially if you could combine them to make them larger.

As for the Snow Service I actually see something like this an interesting possibility. This requires some mechanics as well, but it can be built very easy as LEGO already did with 4533.

It could be powered with a PF motor geared up for faster flinging and not be dependent on the train moving to spin. 4533 was a pretty strong set.

Like your VolkerRail locomotive too Rijkjavik, has nice colours that fit the LEGO world very much :) we should send them a petition ;)

Thanks! :classic: I'd prefer an ACTS version (container terminal with the container crane of Barman :grin: ), but the purple colours make it hard to be able to design something buildable with real bricks. Someone at Lowlug gave me the tip to make it in either this or the Shortlines colours, and of those two I think this is the most interesting.

As for a petition: I could try it at LEGO Ideas, but few train-related ideas seem to make it to the deadline. Perhaps it makes more chance if I finish the Gottwald design as well. :classic:

It could be powered with a PF motor geared up for faster flinging and not be dependent on the train moving to spin.

That's an even better solution. Nice work! :thumbup:

I do love the idea of the San Fran cable cars, went out there and did that and man are they magical. I think that they said that it takes two years to replace each cable. And brakes are blocks of wood. Those things in free-fall are almost roller-coaster like.

I'm probably going to be in the minority being a GM guy, but I would love to see Vert-a-Pac train cars.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2012/12/vert-pac-unusual-way-to-transport.html

Unlikely to ever happen since they are about half a century away from being at all relevant and were probably never used on the opposite side of the ocean, but would make a very interesting concept, and the "playability" of these things would be insanely good. Follow the link for some interesting stuff, that is probably beyond comprehension. All of the car's fluids had to keep in mind the 90 degree angles for the train rides as well. To be 100% clear, I absolutely would NOT want the trains full of Vega cars though.

I'd love to see either the Creator Three-In-One line or the Creator Expert subtheme give us any kind of British Tank Engine, because if the Thomas the Tank Engine franchise is forever off limits to Lego for certain reasons, I'd gratefully welcome a generically-inspired set of such as a compromise! :blush:

Network_150_Day_-_LSWR_Class_M7_tank_loco_No._245_%28front_view%29_%28geograph-1679880%29.jpg

@pooda I'm surprised they haven't gone down the EMU route yet. Could do a 2 car version (and both cars could be built almost identical save Powered UP! gear) and spend the extra passenger set budget on a reasonable platform and a couple extra straight pieces then...

54 minutes ago, Matt Dawson said:

@pooda I'm surprised they haven't gone down the EMU route yet. Could do a 2 car version (and both cars could be built almost identical save Powered UP! gear) and spend the extra passenger set budget on a reasonable platform and a couple extra straight pieces then...

Not to mention that pretty much all the light rail/tram EMUs made by major manufacturers such as Siemens & Kawasaki are similar looking enough that such a train could fit in literally anywhere in the world, with places as diverse as the US, Germany, & Japan not only using similar light rail EMUs but in some cases the exact same model.  Such a universal item should, theoretically sell better than the more typical trains they produce that are either obviously European (like the passenger & cargo trains released last year) or obviously American (such as the blue freight train they came out with several years ago)....

And if they constructed the set like the real EMUs using a Jacob's Bogie (i.e. both cars permanently connected via a common wheelset in the middle) that could save even more money, since you'd be eliminating an entire bogie & all the specialized train wheel parts involved with it.

10 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Rapid Transit anyone? 

SNIP

Well, that Toronto Rocket Subway 8 wide train made it to 10,000 votes, so cross your fingers for the summer 2020 review results....

Edited by Murdoch17