Sign in to follow this  
Captain Blackmoor

Le Alceste

Hello all. :pir-classic:

Recently I have started working on a new, small vessel. The reason behind it is not very clear, although it's mostly for rigging testing purposes. And it is great to have a small side project running as well. Sometimes you need a break building on the large ships.

I have started building with whatever was in my collection, so some bricks are in the wrong colour and will be replaced shortly.

The pictures were taken in a hurry since I had not the time yesterday to recharge the batteries, which takes a few hours. So I had to take the pictures before the battery ran out.

Enough squabbling from my side, time for the pics!

4472074691_36d049bdf1_o.jpg

An overview of the whole situation. She will have 1 mast.

4472853530_11488b3572_o.jpg

From a slightly other angle. The larboard side has been built now as well. :pir-wink:

4472075021_1f8c51a89c_o.jpg

A view all way up to the stern.

4472853774_eef96d4038_o.jpg

A new capstan design! I think this and the lantern are the best details on the ship.

4472853718_21179f3184_o.jpg

Captain Lucas Villermont is going to have the command over this vessel.

4472075279_a6cafee182_o.jpg

The view from the Captain's eyes. I have to put technic axles in the masts, they keep swinging around! :pir-laugh:

4472853858_3bfec2b33a_o.jpg

The anchor holes. And yes, I know the bow hull piece needs to be replaced by an old brown one!

4472074803_76a744c575_o.jpg

The right broadside. She will have less cannons since there are just 4 studs between each gunport, I make it like 6 or 7.

4442571635_9ab0e43890_o.jpg

An old picture from the lantern, but it's still the same!

That was all for now! Let me know what you think. :pir-wink:

More pictures on Flickr of course!

Looking very nice so far, a very original color scheme and design, I think. But, that is what you call a SMALL ship? :pir_laugh2:

I like the lantern, that is a very nice idea for a lantern design. But, why is the bow of the ship red? :pir-tongue:

Edit - Never mind, I just read the caption for the picture. I have just realized how un-useful The LEGO Group made the later bow and stern sections by making set-specific color schemes. You would require sections from BSB or CC almost exclusively for most ship designs!

I mean, sure... you could have a ship with a neat red hull, but it is also dark gray! Also, I had always thought the Red Beard Runner was reddish-brown, not actually red! It didn't look red in the old catalog photos! Then, you've got SES sections where you are forced to have red in your ship's color scheme. :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Skulls_Eye_Schooner_Sailor

Looks great Henk, and as I said on MSN, the lantern looks schweet! :pir-classic: Are you certain this ship won't make any appearances in any large projects in the future..?

Although I'd go with 2 masts. She's far too long for 1, would look way better with two.

Although I'd go with 2 masts. She's far too long for 1, would look way better with two.

I think I agree with Zuloo, but I have to compare it with the Fourageux first. But something like this would also be nice:

2BoatImage23050.Jpg

For the rest it's just lovely! The flowers on the side are awesome :pir-classic:

The capstan design is also great.

Are you certain this ship won't make any appearances in any large projects in the future..?

Huh? Is this not going to appear in our secret project?

But something like this would also be nice:

2BoatImage23050.Jpg

Exactly what I was thinking Admiral! Perhaps you could consider this before you get too far into the build Blackmoor?

I do hope it will! But with only 1 mast, I fear it may be out of place...it wouldn't fit with the other ships, frigates seem to be the minimum size at the moment...

Great so far! But as everyone has said two masts will do better for the size of this ship.

What this 'secret project'? :pir-classic:

Great so far! But as everyone has said two masts will do better for the size of this ship.

Don't you understand the meaning of the word SECRET? :pir-tongue:

Edited by Admiral Croissant

beatiful, beatiful and beatifull, I love the desng and the colors and how did you do tha tlamp ?? :pir-cry_happy::pir-oh3::pir-wub::pir-oh:

And great work captain, keep it up man, keep it up.

Captain Becker

Looking very nice so far, a very original color scheme and design, I think. But, that is what you call a SMALL ship? :pir_laugh2:

I like the lantern, that is a very nice idea for a lantern design. But, why is the bow of the ship red? :pir-tongue:

Edit - Never mind, I just read the caption for the picture. I have just realized how un-useful The LEGO Group made the later bow and stern sections by making set-specific color schemes. You would require sections from BSB or CC almost exclusively for most ship designs!

I mean, sure... you could have a ship with a neat red hull, but it is also dark gray! Also, I had always thought the Red Beard Runner was reddish-brown, not actually red! It didn't look red in the old catalog photos! Then, you've got SES sections where you are forced to have red in your ship's color scheme. :pir_laugh2:

Thanks! And yes, those old brown ship hulls are quite hard to find. And I don't want to order just a hull piece from a store. :pir-hmpf_bad:

I'm glad you like it thus far!

Looks great Henk, and as I said on MSN, the lantern looks schweet! :pir-classic: Are you certain this ship won't make any appearances in any large projects in the future..?

This ship certainly appears in large projects in the nearby future.... :pir-wink:

I'm glad you like the lantern Captain! It took a while to make it, and I have to be careful with it too. :pir-laugh:

For the masts, see the next answer. :pir-wink:

I think I agree with Zuloo, but I have to compare it with the Fourageux first. But something like this would also be nice:

2BoatImage23050.Jpg

For the rest it's just lovely! The flowers on the side are awesome :pir-classic:

The capstan design is also great.

Thanks Admiral! It's true it looks a bit odd with just one mast, but compared to Le Fourageux she is in perfect scale.

The thing what needs to be changed is the ammount of gunports in the sloop and the distance between them. It makes the ship look rather large and it looks odd compared to Le Fourageux' hull, which has 9 studs between the gunports...

I was trying for a look like this:

industry_sloop_sailing.jpg

However, I really consider making two masts, but it becomes a brig then. And for being a brig, she needs to be bigger to fit within the Fourageux scale. :pir-hmpf:

Tough. :pir-laugh:

Wow, a real beauty, she's coming along wonderfully Captain, can't wait to see her done!

Thanks! This build shouldn't take too long, perhaps a month or two with custom rigging included.

Thanks General! I'll see what's best for her. First some adjustments to the hull. :pir-wink:

beatiful, beatiful and beatifull, I love the desng and the colors and how did you do tha tlamp ?? :pir-cry_happy::pir-oh3::pir-wub::pir-oh:

And great work captain, keep it up man, keep it up.

Captain Becker

Thanks! The lamp design succeeds in being liked! :pir-sweet: I will share the techniques soon, later in this thread. :pir-wink:

This looks great already captain! :thumbup:

Is the red dark red? Looks like it, and I like it!

I would however consider changing the white for a less contrasting colour, perhaps dark tan, pearl gold or even regular tan might look better.

If you stick with one mast, it should move a bit more to the front, rather then sitting in the middle. :pir-wink:

Keep it up buddy!

Your really motoring with this, I saw it on Flickr just a couple of days ago and you had hardly started, its looking really good :thumbup:

Love the Sloop. Looks great. The colors and lines are excellent. I have to agree with others that one mast will look odd but I also understand what you are talking about regarding scale but you are always going to have that problem when you have a minifig scale ship in your collection any thing less than scale will look too big or too small. Can't wait to see her finished.

This is a very interesting ship. As CGH said, the white is rather contrasting against the other colors, but it's not looking bad. I like it. I did notice that the red line goes a bit up in front of the bow while personally I wouldn't do that. But it's hard to judge from these pictures and the ones on Flickr. Overall a wonderful ship and I'm very much looking forward to see the end result.

That's a nice ship you've got there. I like the colour sheme, the dark red and black with small white details. ("flowers")

Cannot wait to see it done!

Woah, sounds like a HUGE project! I think that looks great!

Geez, some people, carelessly leaving links lying around like that! I'm sure you'll be hearing more about it soon.

I'd agree with CGH here, if you are going to maintain a single mast, move it forward as it shouldn't be right in the middle.

Looking great so far Captain!

The lantern design is ingenious as is the capstan!

As for the mast, considering the length of this ship it might be best if you were to opt for 2 instead of 1 mast.

It doesn't have anything to do with the number of gunports imo. She's just too long for one mast! Just my opinion.

The colorscheme works pretty well, I like the white ornamentations :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, keep up the good work

Time for an update!

It has been a while, but progress has been made and Le Alceste will be finished soon.

During the build Captain Greenhair and Admiral Croissant paid me a visit, and the Alceste looks much better since their visit. Thank you guys! :thumbup:

The rigging is not quite finished yet, I'll complete it this week if everything goes according to plan. Then it's time to make and adding the sails.

Here are the pictures, I have to aplogy for the quality though. It's already dark outside and my lamp is just a small one.

4724891717_25125880c2_b.jpg

Of course the red hull piece will be replaced by a proper brown one. :pir-classic:

4725542512_7d188d1cf0_b.jpg

Another overview shot.

4724892347_1070935663_b.jpg

A deck view, the new helmstick (?) looks better then the former steering wheel I think. Credit goes to Captain Greenhair, as well for the idea to add large barrels to the deck.

4725542944_d105c7490e_b.jpg

An overview of the bow. Here you can see I've made a new capstan design. The small area between the bowsprit and the capstan will be done in dark tan.

4724892751_fe255758cd_b.jpg

A close up of the capstan.

4725542632_281f70f2c6_b.jpg

And here we have the proud Captain Lucas. :pir-classic:

More pictures at Flickr!

Thanks for watching, feedback is always appreciated! :pir-sweet:

Oh!? So those "Sneak Peak" pictures didn't last "sneaky" for long did the? Eh? :pir-laugh:

WoW. She looks lovely! I can't wait to see her all rigged up and it sounds like I won't have to wait long.

The first couple pictures are funny your classic sailing ship with a background of fighter plane wallpaper. It looks like she is about to blown out of the water by some serious modern fire power. That made me laugh pirate_thumbup.gif

Edited by Commodore Hornbricker

Of course I'd seen most of this already, but not all of it.

The capstan design for example, is new to me, and it looks fantastic :thumbup:

And although one of the yards is a bit too curved, the rigging looks very promising.

I'd also like to see more pictures of the building next to the ship in the future :pirate:

Anyway, good luck. Keep it up!

Nice ship Captain! She's coming along quite nicely, and you've incorporated some nice techniques. I can't wait to see her finished. You will have to make a little champage bottle for Captain Lucus to break over the bow, once it's finished!

:jollyroger:

My, what a beautiful sloop coming along, I love the colors and the rigging looks great. Well done indeed!

Edited by Fires-storm