Sign in to follow this  
rupertw

Some questions about 9v and 4.5v

traintech1.jpg

Hi,

I have found what appears to be a mixture of 4.5v and 12v track and trains in a box. It appears to contain the 7740 electric inter-city train set, but it is incomplete. There are also some battery wagons which I think are 4.5v, but do correct me if this is wrong. The track is grey and there are electrical contacts which run along the middle. There is a crossover which I think must be quite rare as I cannot find anything about them on the internet, as well as signals and point motors. Is this type of railway considered collectable yet and is any of it at all rare?

Thanks, Rupert

Welcome to Eurobricks.

The 7740 train which has a yellow red scheme is indeed a very collectible item.

the 12V system came in 2 colours. The first was Blue and then in 1980 changed to grey. Both colours in this case I presume yours is gray have the electric current running through the middle of the track. 4.5V used the same track except they didn't require the middle electrical rails.

Straight and curve track where numbered 7850 and 7851 respectively.

The respective electric rails that could be added where numbered 7854 and 7855 respectively.

The crossover you are talking about is numbered 7857

The battery wagons are indeed 4.5v sets. They could either come from set 7720 or 7722 (or something different if you have sets before the grey era)

Signal could be 7860 which is very desirable if it still works.

For further information you can google Lego Train Grey Era or go to Peeron and check out some catalogues from the 80's

Hope this helps

Hi,

I have found what appears to be a mixture of 4.5v and 12v track and trains in a box. It appears to contain the 7740 electric inter-city train set, but it is incomplete. There are also some battery wagons which I think are 4.5v, but do correct me if this is wrong. The track is grey and there are electrical contacts which run along the middle. There is a crossover which I think must be quite rare as I cannot find anything about them on the internet, as well as signals and point motors. Is this type of railway considered collectable yet and is any of it at all rare?

Thanks, Rupert