• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello to all OT Star Wars collectors,

36.jpg

I felt very excited when I first bought this set, and knowing that this set will definitely satisfy the hunger of Star Wars OT fans, and being a regular collector, this set is not to be missed by many reasons which I am going to touch on later. Of course, this set is not something uncommon, especially after being reviewed by 3 earlier reviewers. Nevertheless, I hope I can bring a different perspective to our community, and I hope you will enjoy this review.

Name: Echo Base

Theme: LEGO System / Star Wars / Classic

Year: 2009

Pieces: 155

Minifigs: 5

Price: USD 24.99, GBP 31.49, SGD$69.90

Resources: Brickset, Peeron, BrickLink

An image of a 7749, Echo Base

1.jpg

A rear image of a 7749, Echo Base

2.jpg

Having to buy this set, is indeed a dream come true for many of us here, since the main highlights of this set, include the highly anticipated Taun-Taun, along with those incredible arrays of minifigures such as the Snowtroopers and Hoth Rebels. This is by far, one of the largest Star Wars battlepacks made available to the market, and with the recent Clone Wars sets, seeing Original Trilogy like this sure puts a smile for many. :sweet:

LEGO Contents in sealed polybags

3.jpg

One of the best minifigures line up

13.jpg

This is what I called a solid real battlepack with both rival factions. From a Han Solo in winter outfit, to the solid brave Hoth Rebels solders, down to the menacing Snowtroopers. These minifigures are classified as powerhouse in my definition for army expansion in 2009 for Hoth Rebel scenes before we come to know the recent 2010 Star Wars battlepacks.

Han Solo in winter clothing

16.jpg

After taking off Han Solo's parka hood, which is similar to the Arctic minifigures, you now can notice the awesome details on the torsos on its dark blue winter jacket such as its monocular.

Hoth Rebel Troopers

14.jpg

What can I said about these troopers? They are plain awesome from its front and back, gearing up with the new state of the art, snow goggles and backpack. I really love these troopers very much, and who doesn't love some Rebel Troopers in snow combat outfit? :wub:

Imperial Snowtroopers

15.jpg

This nasty Imperial Snowtrooper is equipped with the toughest suit which is meant for harsh bitter cold envirnoment such as Hoth. Previously, Imperial Snowtrooper was one of the uncommon minifigures made available for army building, unlike its counterparts, Imperial Stormtroopers. Without this 8084 Snowtrooper battlepack made available this year, we will probably be spending lots of money to acquire this minifigure from the remaining 5 available sets. Trust me, those sets are really very expensive to get. :blush:

Weapons Assortment

12.jpg

You get the usual weapons assortment, such as 1 long blaster and 3 short blasters. The 2 white backpacks are useful, and so is the crate, range finder and whip for some neat accessories.

Snowtrooper manning the E-Web

19.jpg

The E-Web heavy repeating blaster is one of the most powerful repeating blasters in the Imperial Arsenal. If you have seen it inside the movie, you will find this LEGO version pretty much realistic. Now, where is the other Snowtrooper that should be manning the power generator. :look:

The highly anticipated Tauntaun

8.jpg

Many of us, including myself are excited about this native indigenous specics in the icy planet of Hoth. This is the very first time, LEGO ever created a Tauntaun, and what can Hoth diorama be, without these specics. These creatures, served as riders for our Rebels formation, and some of the famous riders includes Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. This is the number one reason, why this set is a must get, and because of this Tauntaun, this entire set, despite of its extremely low piece count of 160 pieces average, this is indeed one of the most expensive Star Wars set in 2009. :sadnew:

Oh, another note, please don't mind its horns. These horns are going for a hair dry. Actually, I didn't know it was placed upside down. Thanks to my fellow Reviewers Academy teachers for pointing it out earlier. :blush:

What is Tauntaun made of?

7.jpg

In this image, you are able to find all of the LEGO parts used in this beautiful Tauntaun. :thumbup:

Tauntaun together with Han Solo

11.jpg

Echo Base parts.

20.jpg

To build a snow base, we need the basic colour brick elements, and it's none other than those lovely white bricks. This is the showcase, of the available white bricks and parts made available to build the Echo Base. Oh well, I would not really exactly consider it as a base. Read further to find out why.

Spare parts

23.jpg

Fort mechanism

21.jpg

This is the fort mechanism which is placed behind the trench, where the Hoth Rebels are defending at. It's meant to serve as the point, where the solders are blew up by the repeating blaster. That's is one interesting playing effects which will be illustrated in a video below. :wink:

Overview on the Defence Turret

26.jpg

This Defence Turrent is nicely designed, and I felt that this version is much better than the ones made earlier. This can be swirled 360 degrees, targeting at all hostile enemies.

Fortify your troopers!

27.jpg

Of course, you can also placed a trooper in there to control it. :laugh:

Flick fire missiles

29.jpg

I am not a big fan of flick fire missiles, and I supposed these are meant to enhance the playability for children whom want to have a feel of those laser shooting at the Imperial Army.

Entrance of the Defence Turret

30.jpg

The entrance of the defence turret is pretty neat, as it enable me to place a minifigure inside, without much problem when I close it. It definitely served as a good hiding place to ambush others, or even to store your minifigure away among those playsets in the collection.

The completed snow fort

25.jpg

As you can see, this is not exactly an Echo Base. It's an attempt of building a snow trench with a Defence Turrent placing by the side, connected by power wires, where these troopers are defending their headquarters. It's rather small, but it can be very nicely integrated together with the 7666 Hoth Rebel Base, along with getting multiples of this set to arrange the surroundings.

Video demostration of the Echo Base playability

A special LEGO Star Wars and Eurobricks battle collaboration

34.jpg

Opps, it seemed Rebel Hinckley is in trouble...

33.jpg

Chaotic battle sequence

35.jpg

I really really enjoy this set very much, even though the piece count is low. This set, was created for a sole purpose of having Tauntaun. This is the first important reason to get this set, and of course with the excellent line up of minifigures such as the Hoth Rebel troopers and Imperial Snowtroopers, these made it even more attractive to get them. The turrents and the snow trench can be nice decorative placements for Hoth dioramas. If the price is ever affordable or being marked for sales, just simply grab it without thinking twice. :thumbup:

Summary review

Playability: 9/10 (Fun explosive on the trench and flick fire missiles for some.)

Design: 9/10 (The minifigures and Tauntaun scored full marks, but the trench can be improved slightly.)

Price: 8/10 (Quite expensive set, but given the new Tauntaun in there and Star Wars is a license, you have to accept it.)

Overall: 8.7/10 (Get this set while its still available in store, or live to regret it. This is a "MUST HAVE" for all Star Wars colletors.)

I gave it a "5" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

What a lovely review, WhiteFang! A great demonstration of the features of this set. I love the EB battle - KimT looks right at home in the winter environment, and Hinckley doesn't look too unhappy at being chased by Darth Vader! :thumbup:

I now have four of these sets, though I've only built two so far. What on earth am I going to do with all those Hoth Hans?

What a lovely review, WhiteFang! A great demonstration of the features of this set. I love the EB battle - KimT looks right at home in the winter environment, and Hinckley doesn't look too unhappy at being chased by Darth Vader! :thumbup:

Thanks Rufus. Glad you liked it! The video was made last year, and I didn't have time to take a proper recording, since most of it was done at night, but I am happy to know you enjoyed the overall arrangement. :blush:

What on earth am I going to do with all those Hoth Hans?

I have been wondering that question myself too. :laugh:

You can never have too many reviews of a cool set. I like reading other peoples thoughts on it.

Great review!

I now have four of these sets, though I've only built two so far. What on earth am I going to do with all those Hoth Hans?

Their torsos and hoods make very nice casual minifig clothes...

Great review, I only bought one of these sets and I really do like it, but the price was unbelievable.

Thanks for the review WhiteFang! I was pondering on getting this set for quite some time, and you've resparked my interest in this set. :sweet:

I'll have to go get this now when Borders has their next 30% off coupon. :thumbup:

I love this set its just got so many great bits to the set. The Taun Taun is superb and really made. The rebels are god to have and the snowtroopers are really nice to have. This set pairs up really well with this years battle packs and should look nice with the wampa cave. Now I just need to find myself a hoth base :sweet:

Edited by Roncanator

Thanks 'WhiteFang' for this review of a COOL Star Wars set - Yay for the Taun Taun ! :laugh:

I love the E-web blaster - too COOL, but I don't really care about the flick missiles that much although they do make the object they are mounted in or on look more heavily armed.

Now snow Han and the Taun Taun, what can I say - BEYOND COOL ! :grin:

I only have one of these sets, hey how many Han's do I need in snow - what he has clone's of himself ? :devil:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Great review! I especially liked the battle scenes :grin: . I bought just one of this set but only because I don't have enough money for all the other Lego I want! I'd love to have a herd of tauntauns but alas..... I was very happy to finally get Han with his parka and hood. I've loved that hood since I first saw it and this was finally my opportunity to snare it. It was an expensive purchase ($30 Canadian) but well worth it. I know that there are a lot of people who create armies and are frustrated with design changes to minifigs but I prefer differences for more variety so this is also a plus for other collectors like me.

Edited by Lego Lassie

Thanks everyone! I am really glad all of you enjoyed reading this review, and more importantly, enjoying playing around with this playset. I am sure, if this set ever goes on a sale, I will probably grab a few more to add into my collection. After all, among the other OT scenes, Hoth is one of my favourite scene! :sweet: