MightySlickPancake

Narrow gauge trains

narrow gauge is one of my favorites. but, why not make the normal lego track be narrow gauge and make the engines bigger? isnt the indy track really hard to find?

why does lego not make the obvious things more easy to get.... :)

Sounds interesting. I couldn't think of a way to build them so far. Hope you will find a solution. :)

If you are interested, I finished my working narrow gauge train today.

4755839898_d60e8df405_m.jpg

The technic axle is directly connected to a PF motor.

4755841352_70bd3aa2ca.jpg

For the curves I'd rather use the technique by Ross Neal.

that is a great gear box!!!

you should make a vertical boiler locomotive, and use the PF as the boiler, make a casing of course.. but hide it in there...

or a vertical climax...

class-a.jpg

that is a great gear box!!!

you should make a vertical boiler locomotive, and use the PF as the boiler, make a casing of course.. but hide it in there... or a vertical climax...

Thanks for some inspiration for my next model set - I like this idea a lot, although I was going to focus on a furnicular type where the engine and wheels are mounted at a 30 degree angle.

Roamingstudio, if you remove the plates under the brackets, put tiles 1 x 6 on top, and lay it all upside down, you might even be able to create a nice looking with sleepers. It's your choice of course, and I'm not sure íf it will look better, but maybe it's worth the try.

Edit: now I realize it might be difficult to connect it to the Indiana Jones track.

Edited by Richie

I always came back here to see whether someone had already built a narrow gauge switch by now. Unfortunately not. So I finally gave it a try:

Still a WIP though.

5107206669_79b5084b77_z.jpg

5107835416_b1f67cb3ce_z.jpg

It is a so called spring loaded switch. It means, there is only one direction. Driving direction of the straight track is from left to right, driving direction of the curved track is from right to left. Other directions are not possible with this switch. This will be used on a single-tracked line with an interlocking station in the center. There are two platforms, one for each direction, so a "real" switch would make no sense anyway. This spring loaded switch allows for an automated process. Watch the video to see what I mean ;)

Video

Flickr

or

Vimeo

This is a nice solution - especially the interlocking studs to create the curved track elements. I had been investigating the curved slopes; and could make a suitable one using various arch and slope (curved) pieces; but was always missing the alternate direction. A good hint...

I did not get much further with my summer narrow guage plans - and have been spending too much time on other projects especially once it became apparant that there was no easy solution. But this reminds me to continue working on it.

@ Space2310, I tip my hat to you fine sir. This is really impressive, too much detail to congratulate you on. Really superb :thumbup:. Any chance of a video of it working without a train?

Thanks, CB

Interesting topic. I was recently working with the Indy mine tracks which offer additional opportunity for a narrow gauge track (as Richie mentions above). I was trying to attach some straight track pieces from the Drarves Mine and was unsuccessful. It would be nice if LEGO either offered curved tracks pieces again (from the 12V era) or made some straight track in narrow gauge. Without either, it's difficult to make that narrow gauge line.

I have been wanting to make a small mining train for a long time now.

Sorry to dig up an oldish topic, but has anybody tried this solution for connect the Indy tracks to the "Dwarves Mine" tracks (which I believe are the same as those old blue tracks, just in light blue gray color)? Seems like if it works for regular Lego train scale (6 wide?) it ought to work on the smaller scale (4 wide?) too.

Edited by domboy

Sorry to dig up an oldish topic, but has anybody tried this solution for connect the Indy tracks to the "Dwarves Mine" tracks (which I believe are the same as those old blue tracks, just in light blue gray color)? Seems like if it works for regular Lego train scale (6 wide?) it ought to work on the smaller scale (4 wide?) too.

Yep it works... but the new ME Models 9V track is an even better solution...