WesternOutlaw

Power Functions on Inclines

I'd be interested in it. Could you email me and sort it via there please?

Carl

I could put it in my bricklink store. To make it fit in the tender, you'd have

to make the tender larger, make an opening in it in the bottom, and you'll need a

LEGO® Power Functions Extension Wire (Item #: 8886) because one

end fits on the "9V motor without motor" while the other end fits on the XL motor.

I'll try it out to see if it works OK.

Mike and Mark:

I know I have seen motors with dual output shafts with varying voltages. try local hobby shops and the internet, modelers use similar motors for model trains and cars.

Sal

WFB, WI

I've been thinking about the long term future of the 9V system. The track and the controllers basically last forever.

But the motors don't. I think that this means that in the long run, the 9V track and controllers won't go up in

price, but the motors will.

Many 9V motors can be fixed at low cost (DC motors are cheap). I don't have to start repairing for some time

because I have a good number of spare motors, but I think that eventually that will have to happen.

Maybe there should be a category on bricklink where people can sell motors that are either dead or near dead,

so that others can repair them (or use them for other purposes like taking electricity of the track for the EN).

I could put it in my bricklink store. To make it fit in the tender, you'd have

to make the tender larger, make an opening in it in the bottom, and you'll need a

LEGO® Power Functions Extension Wire (Item #: 8886) because one

end fits on the "9V motor without motor" while the other end fits on the XL motor.

I'll try it out to see if it works OK.

I have no interest in the EN or fitting this into it.

I'm interested in the 9v motor without motor, which I'm presuming is the empty black case and metal wheels?

Hi,

I have been experimenting with a standard lego wheelset for use as a power pickup to save on using an old 9V motor. I do need to machine some wheels with an axle that is isolated. Im just trying to find the best way of doing this at the moment. I want something that is relativly easy to put togeather, and can last and be reliable. Also this way gives the flexibility of wheel configurations and also can be produced at any time in the forseeable future.

Mike

Hi,

I've been thinking of using the motors featured on page 41 of Railbricks 6 for 12v power, they have dual shafts.

You can get them from conrad-uk.com. Due to the nature of the site you can't post direct links but navigate as follows :

Home-> Hobbies-> Modelling-> Modelling engines-> Modelling Electric Motors-> Electric Model Motors, Mini->MOTOR RAILWAY X-TRAIN 263 H0

At least I think that's it, after zooming in on the tiny description on the Railbricks page.

Howard

Thanks for the link. Now hopefully i can find a supplier that can get them here in New Zealand.

I've been thinking of using the motors featured on page 41 of Railbricks 6 for 12v power, they have dual shafts.

I've been having evil non-LEGO thoughts of combining that motor with these adapters :

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1001

and using that to the power the EN instead of a PF XL motor. Also as a way to to run 12v systems on the new PAB wheels.

I have no interest in the EN or fitting this into it.

I'm interested in the 9v motor without motor, which I'm presuming is the empty black case and metal wheels?

Yes, it looks identical to the lego motor (item 590). The parts in the case that take

the electricity from the wheels to the connector are still in there, only the motor has

been removed so that it can move over the track with little effort. I listed the item

in my bricklink store: TLHBricks, username mhoeij.

Do you need side-rails too? (item 2871). If so, I can list two of them on my bricklink store

for $1 each.

I can't say that I have done Power Functions on inclines, but I did try it with 7897. It worked for a while, but it didn't sound well. :sad:

I'm late to the discussion, but this is why I so heavily favor tender driven steam engines. Many of my steam engines have issues with their drivers lifting off the rails in inclines, and one of them actually frequently derails if the track isn't entirely level. Steam engines, in general, just have too many wheels.

As far as power functions itself - no problem with inclines. You just have to use the right size wheel for the right size gear set, and having two motors instead of one helps too. There's plenty of power available.

--Tony