On a scale of 1-5  

121 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

I'm not sure what exactly happened with the pictures - they won't show up anymore. The pictures are still available on my flickr set, which is linked to under the "Resources" heading.

I was fortunate enough to be travelling through Copenhagen Airport last week on my way to Italy, and as luck would have it, the Lego store there had all five of the new Prince of Persia sets! I decided to get 7570 Ostrich Race for two reasons. One, it fit into my carry-on, and two it was the most reasonably priced set. On to the review!

Set Info

Set Number: 7570

Set Name: Ostrich Race

Theme: Prince of Persia

Sub-Theme: The Sands of Time

Year Released: 2010

Parts: 160 (according to Peeron)

Minifigs: 3

Price: €23,60 $19.99 (USD), $26.99 (CAD)

Resources

LEGO.com PoP Homepage

Bricklink.com

Brickset.com

Flickr Gallery

Peeron.com

The Box

Front

4440598687_3af96b9378.jpg

The box was a pain to photograph. Much of the white on the box is actually there. The Lego and Disney logos are nicely placed; neither taking much away from the other. The name of the movie is prominently displayed, and a nice matching background is used.

Back

4440606199_d87ee9b7e0.jpg

The back shows all of the play features included in the set, as has become the norm. You can see the fun gate feature (More on that later), and an example of the double-sided heads. A simple but relevant background is used.

Sides

4441377388_69a913de50.jpg

4441379122_cc541e29af.jpg

4440603339_0819a8b885.jpg

The top shows the minifigs included. The bottom includes the regular text like where the parts were produced, etc. The final side which isn't pictured includes copyright info for Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer.

The Good Stuff

Contents

4440608091_7c0b28f16a.jpg

Four bags, not numbered, and an instruction booklet.

Parts

4441386778_a9cb39b7c9.jpg

All the bags open and all of the parts laid out. Who gives a damn about LEGO's recommended sorting method :tongue:.

Special Parts

4441388316_ed31efa31e.jpg

There're some nice new parts there!

Interesting but not pictured alone:

Dark tan 6x8 Plate (x2): Only available in three other sets

Reddish brown bar 6l with stop ring (x3): Only available in two other sets

Reddish brown tile modified 1x2 with grill (x6): Only available in seven other sets

Pearl gold 1x4 fence short (x1): Only available in two other sets

Dark tan 1x2 slope (x4): Only available in three other sets

Dark tan 1x2 tile (x1): Only available in two other sets

Interesting and pictured

4441395932_a09c7bb2b2.jpg

Four 2x2 jumper plates in dark tan! :wub:

4440619039_6c31d757de.jpg

Dark tan droid arms. Old style. Seven of them. Yes, seven of them.

4440623413_6bf490f366.jpg

New whip piece. I believe this is the piece that was originally going to be used in the IJ sets, and caused much uproar. Now it's available, so don't you (Yes, you!) frown.

4440620519_23d550025c.jpg

Two 1x2 bricks in dark orange. Wait a second, who told you that? Oh yeah, it was Svelte! Well he sure was wrong, because it's a brand spankin' new colour! I'm calling it dark nougat, but you can call it Dark Svelte-Was-Wrong, if you'd like :wink:

Did I forget something here? Right the new

Ostriches!

4441390030_d261effa8e.jpg

The set comes with two of them. They come assembled, but the head can be taken off. The head is a slightly more malleable plastic, but I like it nonetheless. The printing is spot-on, and the slight groove for the beak is perfect.

4441390936_17ba946684.jpg

The heads can easily be taken off, and can also be twisted around in the neck.

4440616781_1020ac042a.jpg

The neck is the size of a TLG bar, so anything with a bar at the end will fit in.

Minifigs

Front

4441407684_30f3115ae2.jpg

From left to right; Sheik Amar, Ostrich Rider, Dastan. All three have new torsos and heads, Dastan has new printed legs and a new hairpiece, Sheik Amar's turban makes it's debut in dark tan and the Ostrich Rider's bandana has only been in 11 other sets. Dastan's torso is eagerly awaited bare muscle torso, which'll finally be available in a less expensive set.

Front, Other Heads

4440625721_47e047693a.jpg

Dastan and Sheik Amar both have double-sided heads, with a scared look. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't know the reason.

Back

4440628213_ede63b2823.jpg

Sheik Amar and the Ostrich Rider have back printing, too. Sheik's has a nice patchwork look, and the Ostrich Rider's is simple but nice.

Katana Holder-Migigy

Front

4440614711_111a320ebd.jpg

I'm sure many of you've been interested in the new Katana holder thing. I have to say, I'm impressed with how it looks. It'd be perfect for a ninja, if you aren't using the headwrap.

Back

4440615145_18a238158a.jpg

It looks good from the back, too.

Front, No Swords

4440616015_4bf1158c20.jpg

Without the swords, it's barely noticeable. It just looks like some sort of necklace.

Back, No Swords

4440615493_3787893b64.jpg

I have to admit, it looks rather awkward here, but it's definitely bearable.

Front, Alone

4441391560_e1e86365c3.jpg

4441391046_a016660bfe.jpg

It still looks fine, especially with the Katanas, which Sir Dano says are new.

Back, Alone

4440613975_606be84838.jpg

4441391162_c48ef56d11.jpg

Here you can clearly see the inside of it. It looks similar to the outside.

The Build

Weapon Stand

Beginning

4440638509_28c01c8e72.jpg

Basic design. It's starting to take shape.

Done!

4440641015_26560b9e92.jpg

Quite simple, but it does it's job. The small plant and flag are nice touches.

Observation Deck

Beginning

4441420730_b149fdcfcc.jpg

Again, it's a simple starting point, working it's way from the back.

Middle

4441422896_c686d5dc24.jpg

Now the front and ceiling are built up, using basic parts. I could've used those 1x1x5 light bley bricks last week...

Done!

4441423954_92029ef5a8.jpg

This one also have the plant and flag included, but it has a scorpion and snake, too. I haven't seen either of those animals in a while, so it's a nice treat. The pearl gold fence looks great topped off by the 1x6 tile.

Starting Gate

Beginning

4441425010_9b289371d3.jpg

Do I even need to say it :tongue:? Simply designed using tiles, plates and bricks. Some of these parts are nice, though, like the dark tan plates and tiles, tan plate, and black and reddish brown tiles.

Getting Closer

4441426186_b565bb188b.jpg

Now the swivel bases have been added for each gate. Did I mention there're 12 reddish brown 1x4 tiles? :wub:

Almost There

4440649553_54b4676840.jpg

That's where the dark nougat bricks go. You can now see the handle for the gates.

Mechanism

4441427952_55a75e05dd.jpg

LEGO gives us a nice diagram to show us how the gate opening mechanism works.

Close Up

4441428572_721c46e642.jpg

Here it is again on it's own.

Done!

4440652689_fd31f956c1.jpg

The final starting gate looks nice, but I've found one issue with it; when you put the ostriches on the 2x2 jumpers, they come in contact with a wall. Other than that, it looks and works great.

Extra Pieces

4440654913_be0d471a87.jpg

Three extra pieces, a 1x1 black tile, dark bley cheese slope and a dark tan droid arm.

Instructions

Overview

4440653649_3971bd29fb.jpg

The first page in the second last page of the instructions shows an overview of the set. I like the calmness LEGO portrays in this picture compared to the action on the box.

Preview

4441432390_6538a24b02.jpg

The second page in the second last page of the instructions shows all five of the Prince of Persia sets.

Parts List

4441410604_5548ea92dd.jpg

The now standard parts list at the back of the instructions, laid out by colour. On the other side, there's an ad for LEGO club, with minifigs all over it. What I'm wondering is why there's an Exo-Force minifig there :wacko:. I also figure here's as good of a place to mention it - all the of each colour is one shade. The reddish brown tile, for example, are identical.

Overall

4440656067_3087c0e561.jpg

4441434756_0d49a9fced.jpg

I have to say, the set as a whole looks amazing! With three components, three minifigs and four animals, how could not be? It'll keep children entertained for hours.

Rating

Scoring

Minifigs: 10/10 - A great assortment of colours, and loads upon loads of new and useful parts and prints. I don't like giving tens out, either.

Parts: 9/10 - Not quite as amazing as what we got in terms of minifigs, but still great. New parts, new colours.

Price: 7/10 - The price is on the higher side, but that's to be expected with a quality product, still 160 parts seems a little low for $19.99 (USD).

Playability: 7/10 - It's a very amusing set, with many things to do. The functional gate is an amazing idea and works great.

Design: 8/0 - Like I said, the gate works wonderfully and the structures look good. I can't comment on movie accuracy yet, so we'll have to see about that.

Overall: 41/50

Edited by Ricecracker

Nice job! A lovely looking set that has been added to my Brickset 'want' list because of you. Way to sell! But no commission for you :tongue:

With the three new minifigs and two ostriches, plus the rest of the set, it was an easy 5/5 for me.

I'm getting excited about the whole PoP line at this point!

You lucky basket! This is a very cool set. The figs are awesome, and I wasn't expecting a katana holder! :thumbup: The only turn off is the price :sceptic:

Good review Ricecracker! :thumbup: I like the ostriches, and the sheath for the swords. I will probably get most of this line. :classic:

Lucky. :cry_happy: Looks awesome, cool that their heads move.

A great review of a nice set (just a bit overpriced).

I guess 2x2 tiles and 2x2 jumper plates should look the same shade of tan, but they quite don't.

Oooh! Double front-paged! :wink:

Nice job! A lovely looking set that has been added to my Brickset 'want' list because of you. Way to sell! But no commission for you :tongue:

Just like Muji...

I guess 2x2 tiles and 2x2 jumper plates should look the same shade of tan, but they quite don't.

That's a good point. Everything else is the same though :tongue:

It's too bad the ostriches' head/body connection isn't the other way around, with the hole in the head and the peg on the body... An ostriche-headed minifigure without cutting pieces would've been fun. ;)

m19

Edited by Morgan19

Excellent review - thanks for sharing. I love the new parts, especially the ostrich and the katana holder. I'm really liking all the dark tan pieces. The Sheik looks really good.

Looking forward to finding this at my local TRU. :thumbup:

Yay! The first of hopefully many PoP reviews and it's one with lots of new goodness for us!

Thanks for presenting this, Ricey, I had no idea it was coming! :wink:

Oooh! Double front-paged! :wink:

Oh shut up, you. :tongue:

A great set that I'm going to buy when it's available here. Although I fear that the price will be quite a lot more than the US price as always. Speaking of price, the € price you wrote seems to be quite off, 23.60? I guess you converted the Danish kroner price to Euro but the LEGO prices are usually higher in Denmark than the Euro-lands. This will probably be 19.90€, I think.

I really like the minifigs in this set. Everyone is great but the sheik is my favourite, love that torso, head and dark tan turban :wub:

The parts in the set looks mostly good but are a little few IMO. The new medium nougat colour gives me different feelings, on one hand it looks like a very nice colour that could be useful in landscapes and buildings, but on the other hand I would prefer a more limited colour palette with more parts in the already existing colours. I believe that for example, Dark orange would have worked well in these sets instead of putting money for making a new colour.

I will have to wait and see what price this set will get in my country before I vote, but it will probably be a 4 or a 5. :classic::thumbup:

Oh shut up, you. :tongue:

Obviously you delete the other one...:wink:

Sir Dano was right about the katanas. Notice the new profile (more of a square; the old ones had it octagonal). :wink:

I figured he was right, I just didn't want to have to take the fall for it if it were wrong. :wink:

Nice review! The head-turning ability for the ostriches was certainly a surprise.

The new orangish-brown color is actually (if I'm correct) called Medium Nougat. I am basing this assumption on the fact that medium nougat is the newest color sequentially on LEGO's 2010 color palette, coming even after Transparent Bright Green (the new Atlantis color).

The color actually named Dark Nougat has already existed for some time, although I have yet to find a resource that tells me where it's been used. Dark Nougat, incidentally, is color #128 on LEGO's overall color palette, which places its initial use somewhere between the late 1990s and the year 2002 (meaning it predates flesh-tone minifigs). Regular "Nougat", color #18, is an obscure skin tone used for the Duplo Dora the Explorer figure, but apparently predating the release of Bright Orange in 1998. "Light Nougat", meanwhile, is color #283 and what AFOLs call "light flesh".

Overall this theme looks like it'll be magnificent for people who want to collect a variety of earth-tone bricks!

Oh, wow! Thanks for the information.

That was the Euro price that was listed in the airport; the price I paid. I'm guessing they just converted it.

A very good point. It reminds me of Eilif's thread. Although in this set, we keep new molds and colours.

Too bad the ostriches can't be turned in this position:

ostrich_head_in_ground_full.jpg

For the rest, nice set, good review :thumbup:

I like the new Dark Svelte-Was-Wrong bricks and the decals can also be good for my pirates so that's nice.

The only bad point is the flesh coloured minifigs because I can't use them very well, they don't suit with all my yellow minifigs.

Rate: Above average

Very thorough review...many thanks!

I'm personally excited about the figs in this set. The only other shirtless torso that I was aware of was in the IJ set, which was more than I was willing to spend for that part alone. And for just one of those shirtless figs on Bricklink I'd pay about half of the US cost of the set. The 2 x 2 jumpers, the ostriches, the rarer colors, are all bonuses for me. Can't wait to pick up one or two of these!

Dastan's torso is eagerly awaited bare muscle torso, which'll finally be available in a less expensive set.

Which is one of the few reasons I will buy this set. I was thinking about buying the "Hassassin's Hideout" first, 'cause I really only want the Dastan minifig, but then I found out this set has the bare chest :tongue:

Anyhoo, many thanks for this excellent review.

The set really does look great, with the figs, the ostriches and all those new parts.

Now I'm sure I'll buy this one :sweet: (and maybe even the Hideout too :blush: )

Regards,

CF W

Very cool review, thanks for posting it.

I really like the look of this line, then minifigs look great, as do some of the pieces. I'm tempted to get this set just for the whip piece :wub:.

Two 1x2 bricks in dark orange. Wait a second, who told you that? Oh yeah, it was Svelte! Well he sure was wrong, because it's a brand spankin' new colour! I'm calling it dark nougat, but you can call it Dark Svelte-Was-Wrong, if you'd like :wink:

Way to get back at Svelte for the dark-tan hair in GE. :laugh:

Thanks for the excellent review Ricecracker. Lots of interesting new pieces. And I had no idea that the ostrich heads could turn. So they also make a full 360, like the Evil Easter Bunny from Hell. :devil:

Thank you for the review.

The ostriches are interesting. I think it would be nice if the legs came off too. I just had a crazy idea for a dinner feast MOC with them. :classic: