Sign in to follow this  
mrblue

MOD: Emerald Night PAB car

traintech1.jpg

Following my temporary addiction to LDD, I offer you today the Emerald Night basic car to add to your steam engine:

emeraldcarbasicB.jpg

this car has no interior, but can be personally arranged in many ways.

the price (in europe) is around 45.00€ through lego shop@home pick a brick for 359 pieces, and for the interior should be about 5.00€ more.

as usual, it can be made only using the pab offered bricks.

LDD file direct link HERE

my other LDD files HERE

EDIT: added a different version with more suitable color, scroll down to see

thank you for viewing

have a nice lego day

mrBlue

Edited by TheBrickster

Mmmmmh.

My opinion: Although this is a very nice car, it doesn't really fit well with the original EN cars. It's all about the tan windows, you know.

These cars consist of too much black to be a better than "normal" extra car. I know it's the limited palette of LDD, but in this case for me it just does not work out. :sceptic:

A complete different would be a train with the EN loco (or any other black steam train) and just those cars.

thank you for your opinion. I didn't like that much the "too much black" part too, but I could not think of any solution to the small windows on the door... until this morning!

here it is a more suitable color version.

emeraldcarbasic.jpg

have a nice lego day

Edited by mrblue

Here's the craziness of LEGO's online PAB. If I decide to buy your LDD model from LEGO, it will cost me 108.89 $US versus 99.99 $US for a complete Emerald Night!! Subtract what you can recover from selling the locomotive or parting it out and you can see that the PAB solution is outrageously expensive!! Granted, you can use parts from your own collection or buy from Bricklink to bring the price down but if you're doing that, you might as well use parts that aree closer to the real thing.

I'm not trying to put down your efforts to create additional cars for the Emerald Night (nice work, particularly on the second version, by the way) but LEGO's incredibly high prices on PAB pretty much destroys any attempt to use it as a source.

Dan-147

(nice work, particularly on the second version, by the way)

Indeed, much better! :wub:

... it will cost me 108.89 $US versus 99.99 $US for a complete Emerald Night!! ...

WHAT? that's crazy! I never thought in USA the price would be so high! I checked in the Italian PAB store and (the first version) is about 45.00€! considering that the full set is at 90.00€, I cannot say it's cheap at all if you think that it would mean that the engine only + minifigs would be 45.00€ as well.

anyway, I'll check the price again, it was too late that night.

have a nice lego day.

mrBlue

Dan-147,

The all tan car (the second version) is $113.43 USD and 86.59 EURO though LDD however it is cheaper if you buy all the bricks though PAB because most bricks are cheaper through PAB plus LDD now adds $10.00 USD and 7.00 ERUO. you can get it even cheaper if you find out what bricks are cheaper through PAB and which are cheaper through LDD (because some are cheaper through LDD than PAB) and order that way (however now that they add $10.00 USD and 7.00 ERUO it defeats that point). Ive begun making a table of parts and prices for each PAB and LDD and which is cheaper for when I order. It takes longer but its much cheaper

I recently bought 9 railcars and it only cost $289.24 USD thats with shipping and a few extra parts. the same 9 cars though ldd would have been $485.73 USD so the savings through PAB is decent For me it was like $20.00 USD per car so it well worth the extra time.

Sal

WFB, WI

I recently bought 9 railcars and it only cost $289.24 USD thats with shipping and a few extra parts. the same 9 cars though ldd would have been $485.73 USD so the savings through PAB is decent For me it was like $20.00 USD per car so it well worth the extra time.

Sal

WFB, WI

Indeed! Quite a bit cheaper. I had no idea that there would be a price difference between LDD and PAB. In my mind, they were one and the same. Plus that nasty 10 $US surcharge!!! Thanks for pointing this out. It opens up new purchasing possibilities for me.

Just out of curiosity, what were those 9 railcars you bought?

Dan-147

Dan-147, most people dont , everyone made a big stink last April when they updated LDD and the prices jumped thats when I noticed the difference and I went "screw this ill take the time and order through PAB". I tried making a stink about the difference here and on T-n-T but not many AFOLs took notice it seemed. I contacted LEGO and they claimed the difference was for Packaging charges. I talked a lot about it on T-n-T.

Sal

WFB, WI

I think I'll be heading to the LEGO store today to capitalize on the P.A.B. promotion for March. I'll have to buy a LEGO Game, too, but I think I'll pick up an extra EN.

I like mrblue's design (I've been liking all of them, actually, I really need to start working more with LDD or something, but my hat's off to you, mrblue), and I don't think black is terrible... it's just that sitting next to the EN car it may not look like they go together. If it were inexpensive enough for the black version, it might be better to simply replace the EN car with all mrblue or other MOCs, if you really need them to match.

Me? I'm trying to make myself able to buy sets and just use parts, or take apart old sets... it's a terrible habit, I build sets and can't bring myself to take them apart. I have tens of thousands of spare pieces bought separately for building my own things (but even then I often just build LEGO sets with bought pieces). The EN will be a hard one, seeing as it's the engine that makes the EN so beautiful, not the car... so I'll be buying extra EN sets and only building the car! But then I'll have pieces for a green caboose and for modifying the tender for alternate power.

It's a tough one for me!

I want to say you guys are very inspirational, though.

I just checked the price for the tan car with interior, and through "pick a brick" it's at 50.32€ + shipment: not so cheap anyway.

I cannot believe in USA you have to pay more than 110.00 USD, that's crazy. If you consider that it is not even 440 pieces!

For sure the LDD integrated check price function is "useless"! it says it's 86.58€, but I think they also include a special box and so on. I never checked through bricklink, but I'm sure you can save a lot more!

I'm wondering how much can you save if you go to a LEGO store and you take all the pieces with the wall pick a brick cup system...

don't have any close to me, but if I have chance to go to a town where there is a LEGO store, for sure I'll bring a list of needed parts with me, at least to try.

have a nice lego day

mrBlue

The price difference between Design byMe and Pick a Brick is impressive. I just parted out a small wagon I designed in LDD. Price in Design byMe: € 31,67; Price for the parts in Pick a Brick: € 16,44. That's 2 for the price of one! If only there was an easy way to create a parts list from LDD...

yes! right, impressive! they charge for the special designed box and instructions.

from LDD i checked the price of three cars I made and the total was in the range of 300.00€. I placed the pick a brick order and spent about 200.00€ including shipment! pick a brick is about 35% less than design by me!

to make a list of needed bricks, just download the program "WantedBricks": you can find a link to the download page in THIS topic.

from the LDD file, it creates a list of needed parts, and then with that list in your hand you can place the order in pick a brick.

That's a good train car to go along with the Emerald night mrblue. :thumbup:

I like that the side doors can open. That is expensive for 359 pieces.

Mrblue, Ill have to take a look at that program that would take alot of time out of ordering LDD model through PAB. I will still work on creating a master list of all the parts in LDD and PAB and their prices/differences. Thanks for the info.

Sal

WFB, WI

I think its good effort. I appreciate your good and knowledge sense. Well very good job keep it up with :).

I like it.