Sign in to follow this  
Peppermint_M

Toyriffic Castle.

Okay, while I'm still sure that the Space range uses Best-Lock components, the Castle, Pirates and possibly the Construction range are Cogo. I couldn't find an exact match for this set, but some of the other castles and most of the pirate sets are identical to Cogo sets as seen on A2Z Toys

Here is the thing, they are not excess production, they are bootlegged from stolen molds (the reason I could match it was due to my purchasing a Beyblade with bt beast kit) The molding is poor quality and the plastic worse, plus it is branded COGO, not the real manufacturer.

Also all of A2Zs products are bootlegs...

So, since the Space sets are the new ones, and appear to be original (if not necessarily better quality), it looks like Toyrific are another brand that started off importing bootlegs and then switched to their own designs.

Incidentally, I've just found yet another compatible brand on eBay (and this time they appear to be mostly original elements, so I hesitate to even call them a clone) and am debating whether to order a set - the auction ends in an hour or so. This clone hunting business gets addictive!

Construblock. They're Spanish, and although I recognise some of the elements (the motorbikes are the same design as Best-Lock, and obviously most of the basic bricks and plates are similar to Lego) a lot seem to be original. The figures are weird, about the size of Jack Stone and look more like Playmobil figures than anything.

Edit: Ended up winning the Police Station, £4.99 plus £2.95 shipping for 334 parts. A bit big for a sample set, but I will try to post a review (though I still don't have a camera).

Edited by Thrund

I know this is an old thread, but I have 4/5 of the Toyrific sets and feel I can dd something..

Firstly, the Sue Ryder charity shops seem to sell these. I have been to two different shops in my local area, both of which stocked 3/4 different types of Toyrific sets, brand new MISB. Very random I know, but even 6 months after purchasing them, the Sue Ryder shops still are stocking these so I don't think they are a one off. I originally bought an islander/pirate set, and compared it to a Cobi set I bought at the same time, and the toyrifc set for me wins on price, quality, durability, and the two brands are level on quality. Some of the instructions could be thought out better, but other than that I have no complaints at all.

I have enjoyed the Toyrific sets so much that I have actually bought the whole range, as far as I can find. Yes, they aren't quite up to scratch of TLG, but the TLg prices are at least double the price and I don't honestly think the price/quality differential is that extreme. If anyone wants me to review the sets I have, I would gladly do so :)