Fugazi

LEGO set numbering

Not sure how it came about, but I happen to have some interest in the numbering schemes TLC used for their sets through the years. So I thought I would post an overview of the way sets are numbered, just in case it might interest some of you. If there are requests, we can later discuss, correct and expand together any aspects of this brief introduction.

Most of my research was done using Peeron, using their large collection of catalogue scans, so many thanks to them and to all who sent Peeron their scans. All the images are also from Peeron.

306-2.1125277948.thumb2.jpg

The early phase

The earliest sets that I could trace dating from the 1950s were numbered in the 700 series, with accessories and small vehicles (not brick-built) in the 1200s. I presume even earlier sets and wooden toys used lower series, but as of now I don’t have much information on those.

In the event, accessories were soon renumbered to the 200 series, and during the 1960s many number series were created for emerging themes: Basic sets using the 000 series, Trains in the 100s, accessories in the 200, 400 and 800 series, regular sets now in the 300 series, and miniature cars in the 600s.

In 1969, the introduction of 12V Trains had them grab the 700 series, while brand new Duplo was assigned the 500 series.

The 1970s were a time of great expansion for LEGO, and many new themes were introduced. Basic sets were now numbered in the 1-99 series (without leading ‘0’ this time) as well as the 200 series. Homemaker sets also used the 200 series, the classic sets as well as the new Legoland sets were numbered in the 300 range, smaller Legoland sets in the 600s, Gears technical sets in the 800s, and accessories in the 900 series.

338-2.1194401155.thumb2.jpg

The Legoland phase

By the end of the 1970s, older 3-digit series had to be recycled in order to fit in all the new sets. New Legoland Town, Fabuland and Scala sets used the (second) 300 series, smaller Town sets used the (second) 600 series, while Legoland Space sets used available 800 and 900 series numbers. But it was obvious that the 3-digit system was nearly exhausted, and duplicating set numbers was likely becoming confusing for TLC.

6363-1.1175439068.thumb2.jpg

The System phase

Starting in 1980 most of the new sets were given 4-digit numbers. The Legoland themes were all assigned to the 6000 range (6000s for Castle sets, 6300s for large Town sets, 6600s for smaller ones, 6800s for small Space sets and 6900s for large ones). Within each group, lower set numbers generally indicated smaller sets. Promotional and educational (Dacta) sets were numbered in the 1000s, Duplo in the 2000s, Fabuland in the 3000s, Ships in the 4000s, accessories and Model Team in the 5000s, Trains in the 7000s and Technic in the 8000s. In general, each sub-theme was assigned to a specific 100-number block that it would fill up over time. Meanwhile, Basic sets and some accessories would keep recycling old 3-digit series. This numbering scheme would last for over 15 years without major changes.

6244-1.1105127502.thumb2.jpg

New themes

During the 1990s, new themes besides the classic System triumvirate of Town-Space-Castle were assigned new number blocks in the same general scheme. For instance, Pirates grabbed the 6200s, Aquazone the 6100s, Time Cruisers shared the 6400s with Paradisa, Wild West used the 6700 series, while Town expanded into the 6400-6500s. Moreover, new themes outside of the System sphere were assigned previously unused series, such as FreeStyle in the 4000s, Computer Games in the 5700s and Belville in the 5800s.

By the late 1990s, the System 6000 range was becoming crowded, so new themes began using number blocks outside of the regular System scheme. For instance, Ninja (Castle) and Insectoids (Space) themes used the 3000 series, Adventurers the 5900s, Rock Raiders the 4900s, and Star Wars licensed sets were given the 7100 series. Dacta also moved to the 9000 series.

5618-1.1227322980.thumb2.jpg

Random numbers phase

At some point during the early 2000s, for an unfathomable reason it was decided that assigning number blocks to specific themes was not the way to go anymore. Perhaps this was becoming impractical with the proliferation of short-lifespan themes. In any case, starting slowly circa 2000 and becoming the rule rather than an exception by 2005, new sets were issued numbers randomly in any available range, with little apparent logic. As a consequence, in the same number series one could now find say Duplo, Star Wars and Creator sets. This is the numbering scheme that prevails today, with some exceptions.

10020-1.1125979029.thumb2.jpg

Special series

Indeed, a few themes or product categories still have specific number blocks. Starting in 2001, Lego Shop exclusives were assigned numbers in the 10000 range. The series include exclusive sets or accessories from any theme in roughly chronological order. In 2007, the 20000 series were issued to Brickmaster magazine gift sets in chronological order. The 21000 series is used for Architecture sets since 2008. Promotional polybags are numbered in the 30000 series since 2009, while seasonal sets use the 40000 series. Lastly, since the early 2000s some value packs have been issued numbers in the 60000 range.

Since 2008, a 6-digit series is in use for special items such as key chains, pens and magnets, generally made in China and not part of the ‘core’ LEGO product range. These products are numbered in the 850000 series.

As if 6-digit numbers were not long enough already, sporadically over the years but more frequently during the late 2000s other special items have been only issued a material ID number, made up of 7 digits. These numbers appear to be issued to everything LEGO: individual bricks, instruction sheets, cardboard boxes, etc. Some special sets only have this material ID number, often in the 4000000 series.

The future

Approximately 70% of the available set numbers in the 1-9999 series has been used at least once, so TLC is not yet in danger of running out of available 4-digit numbers. Moreover, with the recent introduction of 5-, 6- and 7-digit set numbers, TLC should have many centuries worth of set numbers for us to enjoy.

497-1.1170038219.thumb2.jpg

Some random trivia

- Between 1974 and 1979, all Lego sets in the US had a numbering scheme distinct from the European ‘official’ standard. Briefly, Duplo sets were numbered in the 000 series, Basic and Fabuland in the 100 range, Legoland Town and Space in the 400 and 500s, classic sets in the 700s and Expert Builder sets in the 900s.

- Samsonite in Canada also used some distinct number series for their exclusive sets during the 1960s and 1970s, series that sometimes clashed with the ‘official’ numbering scheme.

- Many US-exclusive sets of the early 1980s were obviously forgotten by TLC as their numbers were reused during the 1990s. For instance, 6375 Gas Station (1980) and 6901 Mobile Lab (1980) were recycled for 6375 Trans Air Carrier (1990) and 6901 Space Plane (1998) respectively.

EDIT: Castle=6000 series.

Edited by Fugazi

Thanks for putting this together, I'll have to refer back here often.

I had a vague overview of the set numbering in my head, but this clarified it :classic:

Some sets do share the same number, which confuses me, though - in the Collector's Catalogue, some of the earlier sets, although totally different, have the same numbers...

Thanks for making this thread! Very interesting, for some time I was wondering if there was any relation in set-numbers, now I know there is. Sort of.

Great post, thank you.

One funny thing is that set #2009 was the 2009 x-mas present to employees.

Thanks for making the effort of bringing this to us Fugazi. :classic:

Very interesting article and a very nice way of looking into the past. I was always curious about the numbering and the criteria of it and I got many answers from here.

Just one small addition. The Ninja theme was already using the 6000 before switching to 3000. If you meant that the Ninja theme moved to 3000 just ignore this small comment. :blush:

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Nice article. I've noticed many of these trends in the set numbering too. As you say, the numbers have become pretty haphazard since around 2000.

City has moved into 7600-7900 these days, while Space was in 7600 with MM but is now 5900 with SP3. :wacko: Technic has always remained in the 8x00 range, but it's now shared with Racers, Bionicle and other themes. For the last few years Technic has been in 8200, but those numbers are almost used up now and it looks like they're going to 8000 from this year onward.

The 1x00 and 2x00 numbers have indicated some sort of limited release in the past. These lines include value packs, promotional sets (not available through standard retail channels or S@H), seasonal sets, and sets that were only released in some countries.

Nice! Thanks for this article, it's very interesting to see how they number sets :thumbup:

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments!

Some sets do share the same number, which confuses me, though - in the Collector's Catalogue, some of the earlier sets, although totally different, have the same numbers...

The worst offenders were the late 70s sets which for the most part recycled earlier numbers... but there are many examples scattered through the years and themes, and some low numbers were used for 4 different sets or perhaps more!

Just one small addition. The Ninja theme was already using the 6000 before switching to 3000. If you meant that the Ninja theme moved to 3000 just ignore this small comment. :blush:

You're absolutely right, Ninja started in the 6000s before moving to the 3000s! Thanks for clearing this up!

City has moved into 7600-7900 these days, while Space was in 7600 with MM but is now 5900 with SP3. :wacko: Technic has always remained in the 8x00 range, but it's now shared with Racers, Bionicle and other themes. For the last few years Technic has been in 8200, but those numbers are almost used up now and it looks like they're going to 8000 from this year onward.

The 1x00 and 2x00 numbers have indicated some sort of limited release in the past. These lines include value packs, promotional sets (not available through standard retail channels or S@H), seasonal sets, and sets that were only released in some countries.

All true. But while Technic new sets use the 8000 range, 2010 Star Wars and Atlantis sets are also given 8000 numbers! :wacko: Technic kept pretty much to the 8x00s all through the years, even when Bionicle forcefully invaded their territory and gobbled up so many of the available series! :wink: Well ok technically (no pun intended) Bionicle are part of Technic too.

About the 1000 and 2000 series for promotional sets, I suppose that their days are over now and all promotional/value sets will from now on be issued in the 5-digit series (30000, 40000, 60000) -- but as with anything LEGO, I may be proven wrong!

Thanks for taking your time to compile all this information! :thumbup:

Before reading this article, I only knew about the modern day numbering of normal sets (0000-9999) and the numbering of BrickMaster sets (I used to think that this was the whole 2XXXX range), promotional polybagged sets (30000's), and seasonal sets (40000's).

Thanks again for the interesting read! :classic:

Edited by ILikePi

Thanks for the elaborate overview Fugazi!

(6100s for Castle sets, 6300s for large Town sets, 6600s for smaller ones, 6800s for small Space sets and 6900s for large ones).

That should be 6000 for Castle. I always liked how much sense the set numbers made until the 1990s. What I never understood is why they didn't decide to logically structure the 5-digit set numbers when they started using them. They (more or less) chronologically numbered in the 10000 series, but then they started using 20000 for Brickmaster, which is fine, but then they started using 30000 for other promos, which would have been more logically placed in, for example, 20100 if you ask me. And then they did the same with seasonal items in 40000. That's a quick way to run out of 10000 increments. They could have just started using the different 10000 ranges like they used to use them in the 1980s (nostalgic reasons): 63xxx for bigger town sets, 66xxx for smaller town sets, 60xxx for castle, 62xxx for pirates, 68xxx and 69xxx for space, 8xxxx for technic, etc. Within those ranges you could use chronological numbering and you'd be set for the next decades.

That should be 6000 for Castle. I always liked how much sense the set numbers made until the 1990s. What I never understood is why they didn't decide to logically structure the 5-digit set numbers when they started using them. They (more or less) chronologically numbered in the 10000 series, but then they started using 20000 for Brickmaster, which is fine, but then they started using 30000 for other promos, which would have been more logically placed in, for example, 20100 if you ask me. And then they did the same with seasonal items in 40000. That's a quick way to run out of 10000 increments. They could have just started using the different 10000 ranges like they used to use them in the 1980s (nostalgic reasons): 63xxx for bigger town sets, 66xxx for smaller town sets, 60xxx for castle, 62xxx for pirates, 68xxx and 69xxx for space, 8xxxx for technic, etc. Within those ranges you could use chronological numbering and you'd be set for the next decades.

You're right about castle of course, I always make that mistake! I will correct it in the first post.

I agree with you that the current block assignments are overkill, I can't see for instance the seasonal sets ever go beyond... 40500? Same for Brickmaster. Your system of 5-digit numbers using the 1980s prefixes would have been both logical and appropriate, but I guess that the days of rational set numbering are gone now! Although it may still happen someday... For all we know only special sets are numbered in the 5-digit system right now. When they run out of 4-digit numbers the regular sets will likely have to upgrade to 5 digits as well, and then we'll see what they come up with. Hopefully something that makes the slightest bit of sense!

When they run out of 4-digit numbers the regular sets will likely have to upgrade to 5 digits as well, and then we'll see what they come up with. Hopefully something that makes the slightest bit of sense!

I guess they will come up with something more sensible then, but by then they have already 'polluted' various ranges, like 20000, 30000, and 40000. But for now, I guess they'll start actively using the lower set number ranges (like part of this year's city in 3xxx). I'm guessing they're not fully switching to 5-digit yet, because those numbers are harder to memorize for (grand)parents when they go out shopping for their (grand)kids.

One funny thing is that set #2009 was the 2009 x-mas present to employees.

I wasn't aware of this one! They won't be able to do the same this year, 2010 is already taken! :tongue:

I'm guessing they're not fully switching to 5-digit yet, because those numbers are harder to memorize for (grand)parents when they go out shopping for their (grand)kids.

Interesting theory!

All true. But while Technic new sets use the 8000 range, 2010 Star Wars and Atlantis sets are also given 8000 numbers! :wacko: Technic kept pretty much to the 8x00s all through the years, even when Bionicle forcefully invaded their territory and gobbled up so many of the available series! :wink: Well ok technically (no pun intended) Bionicle are part of Technic too.

I was always slightly annoyed by how the higher 8400 and 8800 numbers were taken over by all these other themes. :tongue: Those numbers always defined the cream of the crop of Technic in my mind. :grin:

I am convinced that costumer service would be delighted to receive a mail concerning Lego's use of set numbers, where it fails and where it really works :tongue:

I can't believe that I had never read this article. It's very complete and useful. Thanks for the info!

You're welcome! My text is far from being exhaustive, but it's probably way too detailed already for the average not-too-geeky AFOL! :laugh: I plan an update at some point down the road, though interest has proven to be somewhat limited. The year 2012 already hints at some interesting numbering choices, as many themes will randomly jump to the 9000 series that were until now pretty much exclusively Dacta/Education stomping grounds.

I read this article a couple of days ago, and find it really interesting. I've been fasscinated by the same subject myself :)

I think you could mention, though, that the Town theme started bleeding over into the 6400s as early as 1985, when the Light&Sound 6450 and 6480 were released - later Light&Sound town models used the 6400s as well. The same thing happened in the space subtheme, starting with 6750 and 6780 in 1986, and quite a few minifig packs in the low 6700s - they were using the 6700s way before Wild West.

I read this article a couple of days ago, and find it really interesting. I've been fasscinated by the same subject myself :)

I think you could mention, though, that the Town theme started bleeding over into the 6400s as early as 1985, when the Light&Sound 6450 and 6480 were released - later Light&Sound town models used the 6400s as well. The same thing happened in the space subtheme, starting with 6750 and 6780 in 1986, and quite a few minifig packs in the low 6700s - they were using the 6700s way before Wild West.

You are quite correct. In the interest of brevity I only described the broad lines of numbering patterns, but there are indeed many exceptions, subtleties and details missing. I expect the eventual update to be a little bit more detailed. :sweet:

Time to revive one of my favourite threads. It seems like TLG is finally switching to 5-digit set numbering for all sets as of 2013.

From Brickset:

LEGO switches to 5-digit numbering scheme

Miscellaneous news Posted by Huw, 29 Aug 2012 14:06

As you may have read elsewhere, retailers have been viewing 2013 sets recently, and probably have catalogues. However they have signed NDAs so don't expect to find much information out there just yet.

Having said that, some has leaked already and if you know where to look, you can find it. We won't be revealing any of it here, because we respect LEGO's wishes to keep it confidential, but a piece of 'generic' information has come to light that I will reveal: It appears that LEGO has started to use 5 digit numbers for all sets, not just 'special' ones.

The first evidence to appear that suggested this might be the case was the Hobbit sets that will be numbered 790xx. Now, other 2013 sets that have been mentioned elsewhere also have 5 digit numbers, for example 420xx will be Technic.

Personally I think it's great, particularly because we should see some logic applied to the numbering system, something that we haven't had since the 1990s when the system was clearly defined. Since then, they've just allocated any free numbers they could find and it's all become a bit of a mess.

5-digit numbers have been in use since 2001, but unlike the 4-digit series, they have been applied with a system in mind:

10xxx - LEGO exclusives

20xxx - Brickmaster/MBA

21xxx - Architecture

30xxx - Promotional polybags

40xxx - LEGO brand retail polybags/small seasonal sets

55xxx - Universe

65xxx - Super-packs

Let's hope it continues: it should make the job of maintaining the database much easier!

Oh dear no.... I missed this thread.... it's a Pandora's Box of details... that I don't have the time to try to explain... but I'll do a little bit (it would have been easier if rows and colums were usable on these forums... but everything gets left justified leading to trying to show any table format... as pure muddle! default_wacko.gif

But here's an example from my E-Book LEGO DVD/download collectors guide (cut/paste via the "image" route).

Here is an image of Large LEGO Town Sets in the 1970s.... and yes some number get re-used... and the USA had their own numbering system... which in a select few sets Canada used.... otherwise Canada followed the rest of the world....

7908533746_37c7a477ed_b.jpg

NOTE: for those of you who have one of my old LEGO CDs or the DVD/download E-Book.... you'll know that I have tables like this one above in almost every chapter to try to make the logic (or lack thereof) more easy to understand in table form. My chapter on LEGO set parts packs has about 20 pages of different tables.

Starting in 1980 the world went to 4 digit set numbers for everything except basic sets and parts packs... and the USA used the same numbers as the rest of the world... EXCEPT... if a set was introduced before 1980 as a 3 digit number and after 1980 introduced in the USA as a 4 digit numbers... then you had some "overlap Mayhem".... such as the 375/6075, 383/6083 Castle sets. By 1984 much of this was cleared up when all the non basic and spare parts pack sets were introduced... but the basic and spare parts set still had 3 digit number. (And there was always strange sets such as Canadian and USA mail order sets that used strange and unique numbers!)

During the 1980s there was general uniformity among set numbers... each system contained their own range of numbers... except for the "Special Sets" or small "multi-pack sets. Many of those had (regardless of the system) 4 digit numbers that were in the 1xxx range.

Then in the 1990s all hell broke loose, and set numbers went crazy....

The 6000 range in 1996 went off the deep end....

60xx range... Forestmen

61xx range... Aquanauts

62xx range... Pirates

63xx range... Town

64xx range... Paradisa

649x range... Flying Vessel sets

65xx range... Town

66xx range... Town

67xx range... Fort

68xx range... Space

69xx range... Space

And this is just one example of the mayhem that the 1990s brought on...

I'll get back to the jumble of the 1950s and 1960s... but the new millenium mayhem I'll leave to you folks.... default_wacko.gif

Edited by LEGO Historian