What's Your Favorite Modular Building?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. All things considered

• 10182 CafĂ© Corner
    • 10190 Market Street
    • 10185 Green Grocer
    • 10197 Fire Brigade
    • 10211 Grand Emporium

Green Grocer is my favourite!! Detailed interior and has a lively vibe to it.

If Cafe Corner has interior details, then it could have pipped GG.

My least favourite is the FB though i bought 1 set to complete the series. still waiting for Emporium to reach my shores.

Me too - I would think that Cafe Corner would get more votes as well.

I think the margin is so big because you can only pick your number 1. If - like in many EB contests - you could divide up a certain number of points among them, I'm pretty sure the differences wouldn't be this big and GE and CC would end up quite a bit higher.

I mainly buy the modulars because they are very good value parts packs, as I think in Lego Train Club circles they get way over used as models. After CC was released it seemed every train club included it on their layouts, so I made the descision I'd like to be able to build to that standard, without using official sets. (So far I haven't :-) This colours my ranking of all the modulars.

1. Grand Emporium. Has a huge ammount of one of the most useful (though no longer rare) colours; tan. Many, many windows in a rare colour, tan baseplate, and lots of civilian minifigs. Also some uniquie dome pieces, and new POP arch bricks. I also love the architechture of the model and will probably borrow techniques heavily, or perhaps even just slightly mod it for my own layout.

2. Fire Brigade. Great coloured bricks. Lots of useful light bley, and rare dark red. Also many windows and dark tan. I like the model but it's architechture is too distinctively American to be useful on my European Layout.

3. Cafe Corner. Lots of brown tiles, some tan and dark blue. Unfortunately uses panels instead of widows. I've always felt the ground floor and upper portions are mismatched, I like both individually but feel they don't go well together.

4. Green Grocer. My favorite standalone model but I find sand green less widely useful for mocs, so its the only modular I have only one of. Has many nice parts otherwise and lots of tiles.

5. Market Street. Interesting colours but like GG not widely useful for town/train buildings. Nice stair tecnique. Less unique elements due to being a factory set.

I love 10197 and voted for it as I'm a Fireman by trade, although I don't own one yet - TLG haven't got into gear in Oz with this set yet and I don't want to pay the ridiculous prices and S@H. I do own 10185 and love it; plenty of fantastic details inside and out and looks a treat next to the Cinema from Town Plan.

I think the margin is so big because you can only pick your number 1. If - like in many EB contests - you could divide up a certain number of points among them, I'm pretty sure the differences wouldn't be this big and GE and CC would end up quite a bit higher.

I added up everyone in this thread who posted a list of all five sets by order of preference and assigned 5 points for first place and one point for last. By this system, the breakdown in this thread is as follows:

1. Green Grocer with 42 pts (28.2% of total)

2. Cafe Corner with 35 pts (23.5% of total)

3. Grand Emporium with 32 pts (21.5% of total)

4. Fire Brigade with 27 pts (18.1% of total)

5. Market Street with 13 pts (8.7% of total)

Interestingly, CC actually overtakes GE if you rank them this way!

Edited by Carbohydrates

I would like to see a new poll for this. The one from The Brick Fan placed DD at number 7 but this was done before that set had actually been released. It would be interesting to see how opinions of DD have changed now that people have been able to get their hands on the set.

On 2/14/2018 at 4:18 AM, Bricked1980 said:

I would like to see a new poll for this. The one from The Brick Fan placed DD at number 7 but this was done before that set had actually been released. It would be interesting to see how opinions of DD have changed now that people have been able to get their hands on the set.

That really only matters if you require people own ALL the sets in order to make a valid comparison - you can't just own the set you vote for, you'd have to own them all in order to make a valid comparison.  I don't think that's going to happen.

If there was some way to make a split poll and include some demographic information - so set A might win, but amongst people that own them all, set B could win.

For the record, I still prefer GG as my number one choice.  It's the one that started it for me, and I still think it's classic design fits in many city scenarios, from Europe to N.A. without much difficulty.  I also prefer the older, larger sets that didn't have interiors to ones that sacrifice overall size and presence for interior details.

I'd also like to clear up something about MS... yes, it's the worst of the modular buildings, but it was a fan creation and, if I'm not mistaken, was done at a time when people were using one of the initial releases of LDD, you had the possibility of posting your "set" online (and other people could order it), and they were limited to part and color choices available from TLG pick-a-brick, at the time.  So while I have a lot of problems with it, and it doesn't excuse it from last place, I want to say I actually appreciate the build given the limitations.  For this reason, I don't really think it belongs in the "modular" line as such, but TLG insists it is, so whatever.  I finally brick-built one to be a completionist, but it really doesn't stack up.

Fire Brigade. It was a gift from my Wife. My first Modular. Because I used to be a Fire Fighter. I was stunned at how right they got everything. 

But you believe demand is there for an MS 2.0?  Unfortunately, the original fan designer passed away right around the time the set was released (as a set - people could order it through their "Design By Me" program before that).

I believe the only people that really want it are the ones who missed it (including me).  I ended up brick-building it - thankfully I mostly had the parts and did not have to pay hundreds of dollars to brick-link it.  I also made substitutions because some of the parts were very expensive and were, ironically, some of the parts people (me, at least), thought were bad choices.

If anyone has missed out on a modular that they really want, and can't afford to pay $1000 for a Cafe Corner, they should hit the bricklinking modular buildings thread.  Unless you're obsessive about it, you can get a really good replica of any of the modulars and make whatever tweaks and changes you want.  In a way, it's more liberating than buying the set.  It's also more expensive... but at least for MS, you can get bricks in that medium blue color that weren't available in 2007, so it's definitely better.  See my signature, if you're interested.

Even with an interior, I would still choose GG or FB over CC. CC’s exterior isnt all that interesting and there aren’t many details or cool building techniques. Most people prize it for nostalgia or because its the one they didn’t buy.

54 minutes ago, Blk69 said:

Feel the demand for modulars could support multiple sets released yearly.  If demand for the DD were stronger suspect we would be hearing rumors already.  Thinking if they would have stuck with the car dealership theme demand would have been a lot stronger.   In fact, they could sell a car dealer set without cars.....everyone already has a bunch of them.  

This sort of feeling and mentioning of seeing that DD is still in-stock, personal perceived low demand and not sold out type of anecdotal stuff isn't evidence of anything. These things are expensive and many of the fans know they have shelf lives of several years. One person's momentary observations aren't exactly scientific. Unless TLG does what they normally don't do and release annual sales figures for individual sets then you can certainly continue to say that you don't think its selling well, that it looks like its in lower demand than previous releases or that it would have been better if they did something else but it is not evidence of anything. Maybe Lego has improved their production ramp-up, supply and distribution based on past sales data and is thus able to keep them in-stock. 

On the flip side of this anecdotal DD-negativity stuff; a number of members have recently joined the modular discussions for the first time because of DD, specifically stated DD as the reason and its been their first modular and entry into this theme. 

20 hours ago, Blk69 said:

Oh well....doesn't  look like we are getting much traction on starting our own poll.  Will go on one of the other sites listed and enter my choices there. 

Here is a tutorial on how to make a poll.

As per Fred67's point, bolded the ones owned:

PR > GE > TH > DD > GG > PS > DO > FB > BB > AS > PC > CC > MS.

Just based on the perceived quality of each dollhouse so no owned-only bias and also no plans to get the retired ones as I'm not a bank-robber.

Is there that much negativity for DD?  I hadn't really noticed - maybe I've been reading the wrong threads.  People are suggesting it feels out of place, and I guess that's a fair point, but I do think it can easily fit in a modular "city" without too much work.  I think, on it's own, it hasn't gotten more negativity than some of the other sets.  It is impossible to determine how well it's selling; koalayummies said it exactly right - it's an expensive set.  If it didn't come out near my birthday, I wouldn't have it yet, but I would get it eventually, probably by years end.  There's no dire need to get these right away - I have a lot of stuff to build (I still have BB in the box) and not a lot of time - I don't like to force things in, I have to be in the mood to A) build something, and B) not have my own ideas for my own projects rattling around my apparently ancient head.  It also came out AFTER Christmas, so it's like the slowest time of year for LEGO sales anyway (it's not, but it's not the 3 months leading up to Christmas, either) and, hey, maybe that's intentional.  I imagine most people in January are allowing their wallets to recover.  I get a lot of younger people might have MORE money after getting some for Christmas, but most of us older-than-dirt folks don't (I'm still waiting for my older-than-dirt tag, BTW).

Oh, I'm making a big deal about my age - don't take it personally Blk69; I'm in my fifties, I rediscovered LEGO in my mid 30s, and I'm not anywhere close to being the oldest AFOL on Eurobricks.  And yes, there actually IS an "older than dirt" tag. :classic:

I'm at the "look for a house with a bigger basement" step in my LEGO life cycle.

I own DD, GE, BB, DO, AS, and PE. I think out of all of them, I like AS the best, closely followed by the DO. I really like all of them, even DD (though not as much), because the builds are all interesting, at least to me. I think the PR really surprised me though, as originally I wasn't a fan, but I ended up buying it a few weeks ago and it was an enjoyable build, and it looks good on the right side of AS.

I'm lucky enough to own all of the modular buildings other than Cafe Corner and Market Street, which I plan on getting someday. I've ordered this list with my favorite on top and my least favorite on the bottom. I wouldn't say I dislike any of the buildings, even the ones at the lowest part of my list are fantastic.

Assembly Square - After building Assembly Square earlier this month, I've decided that it is very much my favorite set in the series. Visually, I love the composition and visual balance of the buildings, and the colors are well placed and match the individual buildings while creating a beautiful palette when taken in all together. The buildings have great variety, and the narrative of the set is well thought out with both the setting and the minifigs that populate the square. And of course, the building experience is top notch. When I compare this to earlier sets, I quite like that building techniques have gotten more clever (in my opinion) and plentiful as the series built on. Easily the most fun I've ever had building a Lego set.

Parisian Restaurant - Simply awesome. Lots of clever details and parts usage. I personally think the more vibrant green and dark blue work well with the atmosphere of the set, and the 3/4 scale of the building adds good variety to my skyline. The direction taken to focus on an ambient narrative and details was a good call, and the extra context adds more to the build, play, and visual display of my collection.

Green Grocer - This was the first one I built, so nostalgia is likely playing a part here (I'm able to overlook some flaws like the inconsistent depth of the left quoin and the barren apartment.), nonetheless I still think it's awesome. The clever use of parts blew my mind as I started my modular collection.

Detective's Office - There are some problems, such as the limited amount of space to appreciate the Barber Shop mirror. I also wasn't a fan of the story at first, but it grew on me quite a bit, despite its flaws. Ace Brickman is my favorite minifigure from the line, probably because I grew up as fan of detectives in games and shows. The composition of the buildings looks great, and I actually like that they are a bit smaller than usual (looks great in my setup, plus I like the variety). When I built this, the techniques used for the trim and water tower on top of the Detective's Office blew my mind, so clever! Very fun to build, and it looks stunning.

Downtown Diner - I'm a sucker for art deco diners. Ever since Palace Cinema released, I realized how much I wanted a modular 1950's diner. I was both surprised and delighted that it happened, plus it had a pink Cadillac-style car, a childhood favorite of mine. Like the AS, the build was filled with so much cunning designs that were super fun to build, filled with lots of great details, from the coffee carafe to the nice touch of the pendant light in the studio (also pancakes and bacon, yes please!). At first I was worried about the proportions of the car, but after building it it looked awesome, my favorite vehicle from the line so far. Also printed faces finally. Not sure about the beige baseplate, If there's a design reason for it, it went over my head.

Brick Bank - Although the laundromat looks slightly awkward from the exterior, the rest of the facade is well done. The colors and architecture make it instantly recognizable as a bank. The outer corner has a texture flaw, though like the quoin flaw I can deal with it, not that I'm an advocate of those designs. The interior, as usual starting with the PR, is stunning. I love the bank managers office in particular (did anyone else notice that the portrait foreshadowed face prints?). Speaking of prints, I'm proud of the designers for including the bottom floor window prints. Too bad the cinema didn't, though without that sticker blunder these bank prints probably wouldn't have been made.

Fire Brigade - An overall solid building, visually and build-wise. The 1932 sign stood out as one of the most fun complex builds I've built, on par with the water tower in the DO (just as fun, despite being more complex). It's difficult to reach the bottom floor, but the interior detail is good. The fire truck is missing the hose it seems, but other than that it's a good recreation of a 1930's truck (nitpick being the headlights are slightly too low :P).

Grand Emporium - As good as the fire brigade for me. My only gripe is that there's only one escalator, forcing minifigures to defenestrate themselves after being inevitably trapped in the toy department. Prototype work Jamie was doing seemed to indicate there was a staircase to go next to the escalator, it was likely cut due to spacing problems, which is too bad. Meanwhile, I love the colors and architecture. The repetitious build of the 2nd and 3rd floor is worth that grand facade in my opinion. 

Town Hall - At first I jumped on the bandwagon that the facade was too plain, but after building it, the design works quite well for me. My only complaint other than the auditorium feeling squished is that the elevator looks odd and dangerous, though the function works incredible well. There are some clever builds (like that skylight, and the front rooftop trim), but like some of the earlier models it wasn't quite as engaging as later models to build. The display, on the other hand, is impressive. It's not too large, so it doesn't look awkward, but it is larger than other buildings making it look awesome in my layouts. I also enjoy the loose narrative included in the set, pretty clever.

Pet Shop - I like how it can be split, and each building looks good by itself or together. It's a decent building experience, with fun callbacks to all the modulars you collected, (or if you're like me you just missed the cafe corner by a couple of months). I wish the townhouse had a fireplace and kitchen sink, but other than that nothing seems to be missing. I like how Jamie captured a cozy neighborhood mood with a fun loose narrative.

Cafe Corner - The hotel sign is mirrored when looked at from the wrong side, and as Jamie said: "When you open up the building, you can't help but smile when you look inside and you see that beautiful green carpet." Other than that, it looks great, with some clever parts usage. And I love the color scheme and architecture. I can't say much about the building experience, but it looks substantial. At the moment I'm waiting to see if Lego pull another Taj Mahal and Toy Shop stunt and re-release this, if not I'm probably going to have to be a big spender wherever I can get this.

Market Street - As often as I find this set at the base of these kinds of lists, it is still great in my opinion, no hate from me. I quite like the colors, and the Amsterdam architecture with that nice crow stepped gable. The one thing really out of place for me is the flower pot on the sidewalk, which is easy to simply remove. This set also has clever parts usage, such as hair cabbage and those nifty curved railings and stairs. It lacks an interior. I don't have this, from what I've heard the building experience is okay, but not as remarkable as others (which is expected given the intentions of the set design). It's not as impressive as others, but I quite like it. Imma goona get this someday.

Palace Cinema - I have some criticisms with this set that have been voiced by many before me: The limo wheel-wells and wheels seem off, the infamous use of stickers (though it did likely allow for new prints later on), and of course windows in the screening room. Other than that, I feel that Jordan and Astrid did an excellent job. The architectural style was something fresh and innovative for a modular building set, and I feel that it worked out just fine, given other entries such as Market Street's Amsterdam influence and Downtown Diner's 1950's Miami vibe. The build was on par with TH other than the stickers. Someday I'm going to try to figure out how to get those stickers permanent or as prints somehow to increase the longevity and durability of the set. This would be higher if it wasn't for the stickers (Which are the bane of me)! :classic:

This list is kind of fluid, if you asked me next week the order would likely be slightly different.

@Overcold I have just finished reading through your opinions on the modulars which I very much enjoyed. :classic: Almost like a mini review of each set. Assembly square is also my favourite modular, in fact it's my favourite lego set out of all the sets I've ever owned.

52 minutes ago, Blk69 said:

I cannot make a poll as only a citizen.  

My mistake, I read another thread where it mentioned once one is a citizen they can create a poll.

It will be very difficult for me to pick a favorite modular, they’re all different and unique :wub: The only one I’m sure I’ll not pick is the MS... I liked it very much a while ago but you know the tastes change and evolve... I started to see Lego with a different perspective... when I discovered gorgeous MOCs... Anyway, who’s going to create the poll?

As mentioned previously Assembly Square is my fave followed by Parisian restaurant. I like all the sets currently on sale but if I could get my hands on any of the old sets I think I'd have to go for green grocer. If ever lego decided to do a remake of any of the old sets I think I'd prefer to see this one re-released over cafe corner.

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Anyway, who’s going to create the poll?

Here here! It would be great if someone could set up a new poll for this. Am I correct in saying we need to have made more than 500 posts before we're allowed to create polls?

2 hours ago, Blk69 said:

Ok, so I was fortunate enough to get the grand emporium.  Having owned the DO, GG and GE can give a better ranking of these 3 sets.  

You’re so lucky! I’ve found one MS, one GG, one GE and three TH on eBay each for 20$ in October *huh* Of course ordered them! Also found the DO for 93$ on BL. But none of these seven modulars arrived :cry_sad: Fake sellers :angry: Now I don’t own any of these five modulars but plan to get the DO soon and then, BLing or getting the retired modulars...

Your review is very subjective IMO. The GG would probably be my favorite with very tiny difference from the others (as every single modular is unique and different :wub:) and I especially love it’s second floor! 

I will not pay stupid money for retired sets so being a late comer I just picked up what I could.  I have 6 of them and built them all over 6 weeks

1. Brick Bank.  My first Modular build.  Loved it.  Its a corner building, has a good storyline if you are into that and I recently parked 60142 Money Transporter in front of it which only enhances it.  The fact that I got it half price too made it easily the bargain of all the Modulars sets I have.

2. I next built Detectives Office.  I loved the alleyway separating the buildings.  The pool room and office are brilliant and I was fascinated by yet more building techniques. This shaded the Brick Bank just a little for me maybe because I preferred the colour on the exterior over the White and grey.  Despite not being a corner its a great standalone building.

3. Next I built the Parisian Restaurant and having read the reviews of Modulars and this being consistently up there, had high expectations.  It really is a neat little build and looks great.  My daughter loved the "Art Room" and it certainly brings the market value of any LEGO street up. So many tiny parts for so much detail and as much as I would have liked to agree with the majority, I still preferred the Detectives Office with its brisk built lettering and charm.  The Restaurant commits the ground floor to the kitchen Restaurant but not much light gets in and the Kitchen is harder to play with because the whole build is quite narrow.

4. Next I built the Pet Shop.  Its cool having 2 separate building on 16x32 plates that you can split up if you like.  It may have been worth getting a few of these if on discount to put a row of those brown/orange blocks together.  I found the build simpler and less refined than the others and while my daughter loved the "pets" I feel a bigger pet store was sacrificed for the split building. The other rooms were nothing special.  This set was nice but bottom of the pile so far.

5 Next I built Assembly Square.  Just the sheer size of it is wow in comparison to the rest.  The details are stunning and so many different parts.  It also had some of the most interesting building techniques so far. I loved the look of the round corner tower with all those cheese slopes perfectly lined up.  The was up there with Detectives Office and Brick Bank for fun interiors.  Particularly the Characters you can put in the dentist chair,  I currently have an Imperial Commander in it with an officer nervously waiting in the lounge

6. Finally I most recently built the Downtown Diner.  It really was a surprisingly good build experience.  Lots of building on the side techniques and all of the window techniques were interesting. The  Diner itself is up there as one of the best "Rooms" of any of the Modulars  I love the great big windows that wrap around it letting in loads of light. The gym/boxing ring is good but basic and so is the Recording Studio but is as simple as it needs to be.  It would have been better to get more printed plaques and discs to adorn the walls.  Also I like the pink Cadillac.  You can seat 2 minifigs in side by side in a 6 wide build (They should try this more in City sets) and the pink just adds to the funky colour palette.  The Diner was better than I expected and very interesting to put together.

I can't comment on those that I don't have or have not built but I'd rank these 6 as follows form favourite to least favourite (They are all great and its hard to choose to be honest)

Detectives Office > Parisian Restaurant > Assembly Square > Downtown Diner > Brick Bank > Pet Shop 

Edited by shotgunmcos

6 minutes ago, Blk69 said:

Where were you able to find the Brink Bank for half price?  I have never seen a modular sold for any discount in the 1.5 years I have gotten back into the hobby.

It was 20% off on S@H in November.  That took €30 off and I added VIP points (that I picked up on double VIP on another order) to bring it down to €75

I'd have to say Detective's Office is my favorite because I started collecting modulars because of that one. I have 8 modulars so far, as far as ranking I would say DO, PR ,GE, FB, TH, PC, BB and PS will probably always be last unless I somehow acquire Market Street. I will pick up AS and DD for sure before they retire. Hoping to find reasonably priced GG and CC sometime. I recently acquired GE, TH and FB complete with boxes and instructions for a fair price. 

The corner garage is my favorite because I'm a total car nut. I'm actually studying automotive. 

Edited by The Brick Boss